Walks Around Assisi

Search

Walks Around Assisi

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walks Around Assisi

A link to an interesting article about walks to sacred places around Assisi is found below. Other good walking/hiking info is in my thread on Spello.

I'd love to hear from you about walks or views you liked in or around Assisi.

http://goeurope.about.com/cs/italy/a...si_walks_p.htm
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:54 AM

Hi
I haven't been there yet, but I have often used a book called Daytrips Italy by Steinbicker (he writes a series of Daytrip books for several cities), and he includes a suggested walking tour with a small map of the highlights of Assisi.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 09:58 AM

Hi. I'm not sure what the hill was actually called but I did some nice hiking above the city a couple years ago. I followed the path past a church and got a good 2-3 hour hike. Beware that the temp drops fast. It was close to 95 degrees on the street level but the temp dropped and the wind picked up a great deal up top. But it was stunning and one of the highlights on my trip to Europe.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:19 AM

The views are gorgeous. I have done the walk to San Damiano several times. Last visit, I started walking up the hill to the LEFT as you come out of the Basilica, as recommended by my hotel concierge. I saw a sign pointing to a church that I had never heard of. It was a gorgeous day, so I kept walking, and I was passed by several serious German hikers. From a distance, I saw a gorgeous view of the Basilica from the other side. I finally arrived upon a tiny little church with a bridge over a stream and old mill. There was no one else there except for a lovely woman from Assisi who said that she came out there to reflect. The church also had something to do with St. Francis.
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi, thanks for the inputs. Here's another article on walking around Assisi:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/archive/0400assisi.htm
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 09:30 AM

If you plan on walking around a hill town like Assisi, better make sure you're in shape for the job.
On the town map, you might see something interesting just 4 or 5 blocks away. But the map might not indicate it is ALL uphill.
Also make sure you are wearing good slip-proof broken-in shoes, especially if going in winter.
As for walks, I remember a beautiful hike up to Rocca Maggiore, a fortress with great views of all Assisi and the valleys below. We started near the Basilica. I remembered referring to the map often as the pathways became more confusing the farther we went.
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Platzman, are we talking steep as in SF - Pacific Heights or Nob Hill area?

That was bad, real bad. Now I know why they ride busses all the time - maps don't give you a clue as to what you are facing!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 02:15 PM

I went there in Nov'94, so its been a number of years. If you're in reasonably good shape, no serious heart or joint problems and not seriously overweight, you should be okay. I do recall my pregnant 2nd trimester wife (then age 30) having a rough time, though. After the trip, she confessed she did not enjoy herself there.