Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Travel Tips & Trip Ideas
Reload this Page >

Do you have a favorite souvenir from your travels?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A story related to souvenirs will be featured in this week's newsletter.

I thought this would be a fun (and enlightening) opportunity to hear about the souvenirs you hold dear.

Cleaning my bookcases this past weekend, I stumbled upon a collection of poems by Elizabeth Bishop that I purchased a little over a year ago in Paris at the Shakespeare & Company bookstore...the front page of the book features the store's stamp. I certainly could have bought the book for cheaper on Amazon on my return, but I admit that the stamp and the connecting memory made the purchase well worth it.

Any similar stories?
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a hand carved statue of the Virgin of Guadelupe that I bought in Puerto Vallarta. Most definitely 1-of-a-kind!

The lady selling did not speak English, and I don't speak much Spanish & a (decidedly drunk) passerby local man helped us conclude our business arrangements. The statue is very rustic and the Virgin looks like she got into a little of whatever our local friend had been drinking (she's kind of lopsided).

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:17 PM

A 2006 World Cup of Soccer hat I bought in Germany. I was there with my daughter. It has these cute little cartoon charachters on it.

I hate baseball caps but I wear this one everywhere. I look like a dork.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:24 PM

Hi Katie, mine were not bought by me but are gifts from Italian friends when I have been in Italy or given to me by family members.

A very beautiful small oil painting of the Castle of Congeliano that a friend gave me that had been painted decades before by a friend that attended the same university that he attended. And three etchings of "old" Congeliano which I had framed.

I never really thought about it as I have so many items in my residence from Italy but they are all gifts. Next time I am able to go to Italy I need to do some shopping for me!

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 01:55 PM

The resort island that we stayed on in Fiji recently gives each guest a collection of 15 coasters. Each one has a "Send It By Bottle" story on the back about someone sending a message in a bottle, blah, blah, blah. They are very cute and are a great reminder of the lovely folks who run the island and of the restful stay we had there. Here's one that I like:

Send It By Bottle # 11
"Nurse Christine Shephard had a lucky escape when the Daly River flooded the town of Catherine in the Northern Territory, Australia.

Trapped in her home for 5 days she put a note in a wine bottle and floated it towards a neighboring property. Emergency services officers in a boat fished it out and took it to the Katherine police.

The note said that Ms. Shephard was OK, but running out of cigarettes. Her hospital workmates declined to send her fresh supplies, saying it was a good time for her to quit!"
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:06 PM

My wife and I purchased oil paintings while in Capri,Paris and Nantucket.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:07 PM

Wall clock from Israel with Hebrew letters instead of numbers.

"Weather house" from Switzerland where a woman comes out in sunny weather, a man when it rains.

The rest of the souvenirs is eaten The kids asked me to switch to edibles. Good idea, I think!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM

Well...a weekend stay in the Toronto Royal York back in 1991 resulted in a pretty neat souvenir...my daughter!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM

Bohemia Crystal candlesticks I bought on my first visit to Prague. I take them out every Christmas or special dining ocassion and it always bring joy to my heart !

Another souvenier-related tradition?....I buy a Christmas ornament in every country I get to visit. It makes for a double special tree decorating afternoon.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I collect dragons. One of my favorites is a hand-painted dragon on hand-made paper from Bhutan that reminds me of a fascinating visit. I also have a jade dragon bought in Shanghai on my first trip to China - the one that got me hooked on Asia and on travel - that sits in the middle of my mantlepiece. A photograph of that dragon is in the top left corner of every page on my web site.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

Anita63-
I have one of those souvenirs too!!!
Mine is from a Thanksgiving Cruise
in 1986.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 02:49 PM

Awesome, Poochie...should I be embarrassed to admit that the year after I had ANOTHER souvenir from a trip to Los Angeles...my son? LOL Must be something in the water (or wine, lots of wine)
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:07 PM

I enjoy picking up items that I'll use in my everyday life.

A favored souvenir of mine is a leather keychain that I purchased several years ago in Florence.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
The bocce ball set we bought in St. Remy in 1989, and because we were too cheap to have it sent home, we lugged it all over France for 3 weeks.

The hand-painted ceramic house numbers we bought in Orvieto two years ago.

The hand-sewn wall-hanging we bought in Fiji in 1998.

(There. Now you can't ban me, Katie. )
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:23 PM

Anita63-
I think that's sweet, nice stories for the children.
I have to say my DH has never taken another cruise. Ha-Ha
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:24 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

My memories...(didn't want to get banned, or worse yet, sent to Frommer's).

Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I like to buy a scented body lotion to use on the trip. When I get home, I put it away for awhile. Then when I bring it out and wear it again, it so reminds me of Paris, or Hawaii or wherever. Scent and memory have a very strong relationship.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
suze, that is so true. I'm cheaper than you, though: I just bring home hotel soaps!
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:41 PM

A Georgian stuffing spoon I got in Harrogate that originally belonged to Lord Manners. It's a beauty.
Old Jul 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM

Art and photos for the house but I love to bring framed photos of wherever we've been for my office wall. Everyone I work with comes to my office when I get back from a trip, to see the new photo.

I also have a beautiful ceramic clock we bought in Rome in a little store near the Pantheon. It has the words 'Loves Conquers All' in Latin on it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -