Reload this Page >

need inspirational links to solo world travellers' stories

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:09 AM
just_do_it

call me crazy, but, at 47, and a single, NYC lawyer who's tired of seeing the world in 2-week chunks, i'm thinking about quitting my job, selling my apartment, and using the proceeds (about $50K after i pay off the mortgage) to travel round-the-world on a shoestring (ok, with an occasional comfy hotel here and there).

but, naturally, no sooner do i persuade myself that "i CAN do this!", then the fear kicks in (or the naysayers....boo!!!!!) and i decide it's ridiculous, irresponsible...i'll be lonely. and i DO get lonely when i travel alone, and i have a hearing impairment, which makes random encounters challenging, though i still try! but i can't let that stop me from doing what i've always dreamed of and even made a few starts at before the "sensible people" talked me out of it.

recently, but i've been scouring the internet and reading stories from people who have done exactly what i'd like to do. while i may be an anomoly by "normal" standards, i'm probably not so crazy by fodorite standards.

i was hoping that by posting here, i might get some additional inspiration and encouragement, maybe links to stories, blogs, etc., of middle-aged professionals who have thrown in the towel on a humdrum professional life and headed off on the ULTIMATE ADVENTURE. i know a lot of "youngins" do it, but i'd really like to read about folks my own age taking the plunge.

my must see list is a long one. if/when i decide to "just do it", i'll start assembling the itinerary. so.....if you have fodor-fodder for the inspiration mill, i'd love to hear from you here or directly, at: [email protected].

thanks, friends.

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just_do_it - I think that's a fantastic idea!

If you read through some of the prior posts on this board, you will get some basic info regarding travelling solo and meeting people that should work for you even with a hearing impediment.

Also, have you considered taking a leave of absence from your job rather than out and out quitting? That might ease the fear a bit about your future after your trip - and if you decide to move to a new place after your travel, you can quit then. There are companies out there that will let you take up to a year leave of absence.

A veterinarian I know took a year leave of absence from his practice to sail around the world. He hired a young vet who was getting starting out to take over his practice while he was gone. It was a win-win situation. The new guy got an established practice to start out in (making loyal customers as he went along) and the other got to go on his dream trip without losing his business.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 10:47 AM
just_do_it

thanks, toedtoes! a leave of absence request is a good idea, but not feasible, unfortunately. i have taken three leaves of absence in the past few years, one for 10 weeks to do an apartment swap in paris. my employer's been hugely generous with with and i'm grateful for that. but it gets to the point where it's clear to all ijvolved that my heart just isn't really in this job anymore. i do excellent work, so they cut me some slack. they also recognized that, after i got my cochlear implant, i really wanted to be our experiencing more of the world. they've been supportive, but i think i've exhausted the limits of their generosity!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 12:08 PM

In that case, go for it!

I would set up a couple "emergency plan items":

1. arrange with a friend or family member for an emergency "home" in case something happens. Don't wait until an emergency to start looking for a place to stay, get it worked out before your trip.

2. keep a list of "important" people in your field of work. Maintain contact with them throughout your trip. This way, you will still have contacts if you need to go back to work.

3. make sure you have at least 3 months worth of expenses in your savings for when you return (or an emergency happens).

4. check your health insurance plan carefully. Make sure it will cover you wherever you go. Again, it will protect you if something happens since you won't have a job to fall back on.

The odds are that nothing will happen, but it doesn't hurt to plan for it just in case - especially as you're going to be on your own for an extensive amount of time.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 01:39 PM
just_do_it

thanks, toedtoes - wonderful suggestions all!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 04:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
well honestly, i think lonliness is something major to consider. for me, i would never want to be forced to be on the road for a long period of time.

that said, i would love to quit my job and go LIVE somewhere in Europe for a year. but staying put in one place, with a "home", getting to know a town, hopefully making friends, or at least knowing the lady at the corner store.

for me, traveling more than a couple months alone would not be something i desire to do.

i am not trying to discourage you if this is your dream. and believe me, i am anything but a "sensible person" myself, but i would not be able to sell my condo and feel comfortable about it.

i don't know your financial situation, but what happens when you return? will you have to go back to work? or can you retire right now and not have to work again? the answer to that would make a huge difference to how i thought about your idea.

here's a good resource if you don't know about Lonely Planet... check out www.lonelyplanet.com and go to their forum like this one, it's called The Thorn Tree. there are lots of budget folks and backpackers there, and RTW (round the world)travelers, plus a branch for older travelers.

i do not mean to be a naysayer, rather a realist.

for me, i look forward to retirement and traveling then, with the money to do it comfortably, and knowing i won't have to seek work at the end of my time away.

as background i am single, near your age, and have made perhaps 25+ international trips, more than half of them solo... so i do feel i have an idea what it feels like to be alone and far from home. it is exciting and a "rush" but i prefer smaller doses for myself, i guess is my point.

kindly, suze
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 05:08 PM

Those are very good points Suze! I was going on the assumption that JDI had already thought out those issues, but it's definitely worth repeating just in case.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 06:59 PM
just_do_it

yes, thanks, i have indeed considered all those issues, but appreciating your raising them. i am also a certified ESL teacher, so am reasonably confident of making a living no matter which path i choose. i'm also considering the peace corps, either as a alternative to hitting the "BIG" road, or for when i complete my TRW travels! the other factor i should have mentioned is that i don't want to continue doing what i do now, so wouldn't wish to come back to it anyway.

thanks, toedtoes and suze!

Old Dec 1st, 2006, 07:37 PM

You're welcome! Be sure to let us know of your ultimate decision and provide trip reports.
Old Dec 1st, 2006, 08:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi just-do-it. I took "early" retirement after 30 years and have done several long trips since, including a 10 month round-the-world trip. You can read my trip reports at www.wilhelmswords.com. I also recommend Hasbrouck's "Practical Nomad" for info on budget RTW travel.

$50K should be plenty, my ten month trip came in at an average of $130/day including everything I spent on the road plus pre-trip costs like visas, but not including airfare for which I used FF miles, and I could certainly have done it on less.

Some countries seem to be better than others for meeting other travelers. I suspect it's easier at budget places, but I don't spurge on expensive hotels very often. Joining day tours is also a good way to spend some time with other English speakers. Happy to answer any questions.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 05:33 AM
just_do_it

thank you, thank you, THANK YOU thursdaysd! this is EXACTLY the sort of inspiration and experience i was hoping for when i posted my message! your site is both inspiration and prctical - i've bookmarked it! if you are aware of similar links, people, experiences, i would be grateful for web info. thank you so much again!

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:00 AM

I'm betting you'll be a lot less lonely than you think. You're going to meet people all over the world. You're going to learn tricks that hopefully you'll report back here for solo travelers. You'll find plenty of opportunities to connect with folks along the way.

If you do a search for Crazymina, you'll find some fun tales by an amazing young woman (whom I'm proud to call a friend) who quit her job and headed out for a 4 month solo adventure. A couple of months ago she married the love of her life, who she happened to meet on the adventure.

This is likely to be a life changing experience. I envy you and wish I could do something similar!
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:03 AM

One more suggestion, join www.virtualtourist.com You will find members from all over the world and many are very happy to have a cup of coffee, a glass of wine, or take an epal from another country on a walking tour of their home town.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:12 AM
just_do_it

thanks, catbert! i don't know how realistic or responsible it is, but with no children, husband, or debt (other than the mortgage), i ask "why not?" on the days that i focus on the sorts of things that suze points out (of which i am only too aware), i become my own naysayer. other days, i think along these lines quoted below and try to have faith that, while i may not get what i want upon my return (same level of income, same sort of home, etc.), i will get what i need:

~~ leap, and the net will appear ~~
zen saying

~~Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines,
sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover. ~~
Mark Twain

~~ life is either a daring adventure...or nothing.~~
Helen Keller

thanks again, catbert.

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just-do-it - so glad the website helped. You can email me through the site if you want to chat. Like your quotes - my mantra these days is "if not now, when" - but I'm now late fifties...

Some other websites you may find worthwhile:
http://www.igougo.com/
http://blogs.bootsnall.com/
http://ease.com/~randyj/travel.htm#rjtips
http://vagabonding.net/
http://mariejavins.blogspot.com/ (the link for her round the world tour isn't working right now)
http://jetcityjimbo.com/awful_wonderful/
http://www.budgettravelonline.com
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:44 AM

"leap and the net will appear"

I truly needed to read that this morning! Thank you!

If you feel like corresponding, I'd love to hear from you: [email protected]
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:42 AM

for justdoit-

I do not want to sound negative or discouraging, hopefully practical and helpful. I don't think these issues should stop you from following a dream. I just think the better thoughtout the plan, the less worries you have once you get started.

Knowing you don't wish to pick up your career again certainly factors in. Especially with an idea like teaching abroad or the peace corp as what you want to pursue next.

Some short story collections about women traveling solo (there are others but these three were on my shelf to pass on the info):

Hot Flashes from Abroad (Women's Travel Tales & Adventures), ed. Gould

A Woman Alone (Travel Tales from around the globe), ed. Conlon

The Unsavvy Traveler (Women's Comic Tales of Catastrophe), ed. Caperton
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:21 PM
just_do_it

hi suze,
no, i didn't think you were being discouraging at all, just practical, as you said. sure, i've considered the things you note, but how could you know that? and if i hadn't thought them through, i'd be darn glad someone mentioned them! and even though i had, they bear repeating, so thanks for taking the time to do so.

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:29 PM
just_do_it

thanks, thursdaysd and suze for your very helpful references. i've now got plenty of material to keep my little fantasy afloat.

meantime, i'm going to fin9ish up my peace corps application, plan to attend a TESOL job-networking conference in seattle, and plan a solo jaunt to sikkim/darjeeling in the spring to test out my asia wings. and as catbert suggests, i'll try to put together some meet-ups with like-minded travelers who may be in the area at the same time.

i sure do love this site - thanks for all your kind thoughts and suggestions.

catbert, i'll drop you a line!

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM

wow- what a great thread... it is an inspiration in itself! thank you just-do-it for your kind words & best of luck to you in your planning. please check in & let us know how things go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -