Do you keep a travel journal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep travel journals and enjoy reading about what we enjoyed and not so much enjoyed on holiday.

What is so amazing is I always note the price of gas.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:42 AM

I travel alot without my husband. I keep a journal during my travels then when I return give it to him to read.

In addition to observations I also write down things that I know he would have enjoyed if he were with me!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 07:06 AM

Have done so for 33 years. Did you know that I spent 1975 June 25th at the Kaibab National Forest just outside of the Grand Canyon? Did you care? 99% of what I've written is of no value, but it helps to keep track of when and with whom I've visited something.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:09 AM

I keep specific journals for cities that I visit repeatedly. For instance, I have a journal for New York, so that when I re-visit I can easily find that little boutique or that great place where we had breakfast 5 years ago. It might not be open any more, but I know where it is!
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 08:14 AM

I always used to have good intentions about journal keeping on trips, even bought journals and took them with me, only to return with not a word written. But in recent years my memory has gotten so bad I religiously make notes on all our trips. When I get home I transcribe what I've written in my word processing, print it out and put it in my picture album.

I really enjoy rereading them and looking through my photos now and then. Kind of like taking the trip all over again.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:45 AM

I have an online journal for trips. I make notes during the trip and then put them together when I get home. It works pretty well for helping me remember where things were, names of restaurants, and so on.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM

Yes, I do it on-line.

http://www.travelpod.com/members/laorfamily
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:02 AM

My wife, with my help makes one every trip. We buy a cheap notebook and write down each days acitvities, meals, etc and compliment the words with pictures which we now develop each night on our printer. Yes the price of gas is heavily mentioned in each trip book. We started traveling in 2000 and now have several books that are so much fun to look back on. The boys were so little when we started and we have many quotes from them that without the books I would have long ago forgotten about. Yesterday as I watched Hurricane Gustav, I pulled out the book with our trip through La. and checked out Lafayette, New Iberia and Avery Island and remembered our fun time down there. I hope the boys want these because they're worthless to anyone else but priceless to me.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:46 PM

I'm an artist, so I keep a sketchbook/journal. Started in 1970 when I started a round-the-world trip that lasted over 3 years, and have been doing so ever since.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 03:49 PM

Even if I start taking notes, I never finish But I write detailed (I think) reports, post on Fodor's, and keep a copy at home. For memories.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:25 PM

I do keep a journal. I find I use the comments I made when I put together a scrapbook. Short snippets that give "life" to the photos.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:34 PM

We do tours in which we cram a lot of sightseeing in only a few days. The journal helps us remember what we saw where. I also find the journal extremely useful when I label all of the photos I took and put them in a logical order (which sometimes isn't chronological).
Dining is important to us, so I have always recorded where we ate. Now I also include the main courses, because my girlfriend would always ask me what we had where.
Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 05:00 PM

I try, and fail, every time. I have many journals with only 1 page filled out. We spend every minute of our trips experiencing things, walking, hiking, exploring, meeting people, etc... There is never enough time to write! We even do night hikes! I love it!

My husband does record our expenses in a booklet, which is a handy reference later.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM

I keep a travel journal in my bag, so whenever we are away in the rv or on a day trip, I have it handy. Usually at night, I take it out and jot down what we did during the day. This goes for mountain hikes, concerts, cool bike trails, etc. If I take the grandkids camping, I have them color a page in it. I have a friend who's an artist and she has drawn in it. My memory is like a sieve, so it helps me to keep those good times handy, especially during the cold winter months when not much is going on. I also put pictures on the opposite pages of the written part. It is rather scrappy, but it is really a memory book just for me.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:06 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't keep a journal but I always travel with a 3x5" spiral notebook & ball point pen to jot down addresses, restaurants, prices, things I want to remember (for posting here or future trips).
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM

I do take notes in a notebook throughout the trip, and then write up a trip report (with photos) when I'm done. I've done this for each trip to the UK and Ireland, and to Maine/Nova Scotia - basically, ever since 1996
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM

I write notes at night about the sites that we saw each day. I note the names of the restaurants where we ate and details of favorite meals. I try to include humerous things that happen to us along the way. It is very easy to forget the details of your trip but when you've written a summary of it, you'll have the memory forever.

I write my actual trip report when I come home. It is primarily done to document our trips for us. I enjoy reading them and reliving our vacations.
Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM

The computer has revolutionized my journelling. We usually have a laptop on vacation and at the end of every day I post to my blog with my photos. It's a permanent record for me and much more accessible to me than paging through my old handwritten notebooks. As a plus, my friends and family can travel along with us and check the blog daily if they like. I've always wanted to write a book and this is the next best thing. Blogger is so easy to set up. Try it!
www.maggiwun.blogspot.com
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:45 AM

I took my trip of a lifetime to Australia when I was 60. The first day I started a "journal" by writing events, thoughts, food and everything else on the Hotel Stationary. I kept it up for the whole three weeks. Each hotel - new stationary.
My children bought a wonderful photo album that would fit my odyssey. I added ticket stubs, admission cards for parks and all sorts of other things with each days recordings.
Winter is coming and I know I will enjoy at least a few Saturday afternoons thumbing through a really great trip.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 07:09 AM

I keep a journal regularly and, when traveling, sometimes do a trip journal in addition. It is amazing how many details can be lost or distorted in memory. Re-reading the journal brings everything back as I experienced it at the time. It also helps when my husband and I "remember" things differently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -