Tipping maids- daily or at the end of stay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I stay at a hotel, I wonder what is the proper protocol-- do you tip the maids every day, or in one lump sum at the end of yoru stay? Would love to hear other fodorite's opinions on this.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:32 AM
Dan

I tip daily as the housekeepers may either be (a) off or (b) working other floors on following days.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 03:33 AM

We tip each day as I'm not sure if the same housekeeper will be working the day we arrive and the day we leave. I'd hate for someone to give us nice service and not be rewarded.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 04:23 AM
Cassandra

Tip daily, not only to thank person who actually does the work but also because on occasion, we've gotten some nice favors and added service thereafter.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:34 AM

I tip each day, as it may be different people from day-to-day.

If tip envelopes are provided, I do not use them for tips. I give them to the front desk with a note to the manager that he should pay his help enough that they don't need to seek handouts from guests. I have a great distain for tip envelopes & tip jars. I feel free to tip anyone I wish, and don't need their "cues", no matter how they may disquise them, such as the envelope asking how my stay was.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:02 AM

I recently mentioned how nice and efficient the maids were at my recent stay at the Aladdin in Las Vegas. The second day I saw our maid in the hall as we were heading to breakfast and told her we were going. When we came back an hour later it was all finished. She saw us and asked if we were leaving today (duh, she had the list in her hand and obviously knew we weren't or she wouldn't have been making up the room). I said no, tomorrow, and she mentioned she was off tomorrow. Obviously she was indirectly "asking" for a tip since she wouldn't get it tomorrow. I happily gave her one, but it does show that the person you tip at the end of the stay may not be the one who did the work. I do tend to leave the tip only at the end of the stay, but this reminded me what that probably isn't the best idea.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:10 AM
ty_ur_on

Rather old issue, but we leave $3-$4 mornings, regardless of who will do the room. Later in the day, we leave an additional $2 for the turn-down staffer. Hard to believe $6 a day would break us, and they can certainly use the money, given the min. wage hotels pay them. I'm thinking of upping the amount in 2005, since workers on average gained only a 2% increase last year.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:12 AM

I was tipping every day until I had bad experiences with housekeeping on two occassions. Now I wait at least one day to see if maid service is satisfactory.
I'm not exceedingly picky but I thought service in these 2 instances was particularly bad. In one hotel, we returned to our room in the late afternoon and found that the maid had left the door propped open while she was simultaneoulsy stocking our bathroom and the one next door. She was in the room next door at the time and anyone could have gone into our room. I had, meanwhile, left a tip for her before leaving the room in the morning. Housekeeping was consistantly irresponsible over the course of five days - left doors to balcony open, haphazard in cleaning,forgot to replenish towels, etc. I did continue to tip but not generously and not every day - it was impossible to determine if it was always the same person working in our room.

On second occassion, the maid was so thorough in cleaning that she threw away books, magazines and a few other items we had brought with us. She also forget to replace towels and coffee. I still left her tips but adjusted amount downwards.

The problem, of course, is that unlike in a restaurant, you can't be sure the person who provides good service is the one who receives the tip. Also, I don't want to end up not tipping a conscientious maid.

By the way, in both instances, complaints to front desk resulted in one free breakfast and assurances that problems would be addressed.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:13 AM
GoTravel

Usually I try to tip the maids daily.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:17 AM
Jayne1973

I never considered tipping maids until I started reading this board. Now I try to leaving a couple of dollars each day, with a note that says something like "Housekeeping -- thanks!"

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:27 AM

We also tip daily and leave a short note so that the maid knows the tip is for her and not just change left on the desk or whatever.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 09:23 AM

Think about it for 1 minute,hopefully you will then be able to answer your own question.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 11:46 AM
bluestructure

I agree w/ leaving a lil note behind....sometimes they dont know the money is left for them.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM
ty_ur_on

In better hotels, possibly not your chains, you'll find a note by the bed with the staff person's name, which you can add to your own note when you leave money and thanks. I find personalizing things improved the odds of better service, and it's part of being respectful toward the people who aid you, as is the money.

Old Sep 1st, 2004, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

The reason I ask is that I often stay at nicer hotels, leave the money, several dollars, in a place where one would expect the top and more often the money is not taken by housekeeping. No need to get snotty atlcity. Thank you to the rest for your thoughtful answers.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM

I leave the tip on the pillow or on the unmade bed. It's never there when I return, so I guess that's pretty obvious.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 07:46 PM

End of stay. This is a tip, not a daily service charge. Service on par with quality of hotel is a basic expectation. Dirt, condoms, and other items under the bed are not. Logistics of tips as far as I am concerned are an internal matter which guests should not have to bother their brains about; much like busboys, waterboys, etc. at a restaurant where tips may be pooled and divided. Also , as previously mentioned, sometimes there is a card with one person's name mentioned. Also, the hotel and maids generally know when you are checking out. Same policy for concierge tips.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:05 PM

I dont always leave a tip for a short stay, but after reading this I probably should. However, I do leave a tip when I stay at one place for several days, i.e. Disney, etc. Are there guidelines for how much is suitable to leave?? Like at a Hampton Inn, vs a more expensive hotel?/ Thanks for the info.
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 08:15 PM

OK, as I mentioned before I often tip maids. I tip because I asked them to clean the room while we're at breakfast and they do. If they bring fresh towels and clean up the room as part of a turn-down service, then I'll also probably tip.

But I'm going to be honest here. Although I admire and appreciate what the maids do and regret they don't make a very good salary, I really don't tip at a plain hotel where I never see them and there is no special service. Let's face it. I've rented a hotel room and it is the hotel's job to provide me with a clean room and a made bed. If I have no contact with the maid and she has done nothing special for my stay, then I usually don't tip. I don't see how that is really any different than not seeking out the janitor who has cleaned the sidewalks and garage, or looking for the handyman who makes sure the plumbing works, or finding the laundry room to tip the person who is washing and folding all those sheets and towels. All of those people are just doing what the hotel pays them to do, and what I pay the hotel to provide for me. If the maid or any of those other people has done something special or has had some personal contact with me, then yes I'll tip.
If that makes me cheap, then I guess I am.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Many hotels have a maid assigned to particular rooms and they leave a card that say, "Hello, my name is _______ and I am your housekeeper, call me at x_____ for help, etc....." In this case, I leave $25 for a four or five night stay, otherwise, I tip a few dollars on a daily basis, preferrably directly to the maid if I can, otherwise, leaving the cash in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -