Hi fellow fodorians!
We are an adult family of four and we will be traveliing from the UK to San Francisco-Las Vegas-New York-Washington in May. I understand the basics on tipping. 1-2 dollars per bag for hotel porters and 15-20% for taxis and eating out (please correct me if i'm wrong). What really confuses me is that we have pre-paid various activities (Grand Canyon Trip, Super Car driving, Segway Tours, helicopter trip etc). Can you kindly advise me the amount we should tip on these events? The cost ranges from 40 dollars to 230 dollars per person and 20% per person would be such a lot of money. Also, rather than give one tip for the group of four, should we tip individually? I have read on the web that we should always tip on every event but I am finding it rather confusing. You advice would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance, Mark.
Tipping - help please?
Hi fellow fodorians!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 2 Kennebunkport and....?
- 3 Jersey City Parking
- 4 Spring Break in California: San Francisco, Yosemite and up the coast
- 5 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 6 Best Glacier viewing (by boat) from Seward or Whittier
- 7 Travel West Coast
- 8 Cute towns in VIrginia for boutique shopping and restaurants
- 9 2 weeks in FL, Savannah and Charleston
- 10 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 11 An overnight stay in NYC to see 2 shows
- 12 Sampling Ethnic Las Vegas trip report
- 13 Colorado in the summer!
- 14 Where to go in Maine?
- 15 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 16 Alaska- cruise or land? and most scenic areas?
- 17 New York City Restaurants
- 18 Hotels in LA ... I know...how long is a piece of string type question...
- 19 traveling Amtrak cross country
- 20 Favorite Washington, DC restaurants
- 21 Napa Girls Getaway - Need hotel advice
- 22 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 23 Place for a drink where kids are allowed? An NYC question.
- 24 Grand Staircase Esclante National Monument
- 25 Grand Circle Itinerary Utah