Hello fellow travelers,
I am planning a 9 day trip with my boyfriend across the Southwest (specifically Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico) in early October. We plan to fly into Phoenix and fly out of Albuquerque, driving a rental car to all the stops in between. Here's my tentative itinerary- can anyone give me feedback on whether this is doable in the time I've allotted, and whether the selected destinations are the best (and most efficient) use of our limited time? Any and all suggestions are appreciated- we have never been to this region of the country before.
AUS -> PHX (arrive 10am)
•pick up rental car (10:30-11am)
•drive to Flagstaff (11am-1pm))
•lunch, check into hotel (1pm-2pm)
•drive to Petrified Forest National Park (2pm-3:30pm)
•Enjoy Petrified Forest/Painted Desert (4pm-6pm), drive back to Flagstaff (6pm-8pm)
•Dinner, overnight in Flagstaff
•Check out of hotel (4:30am)
•Sunrise balloon ride over Sedona Desert- breakfast included (5-10am)
•Drive to Grand Canyon (12-1:30pm)
•Spend afternoon at Grand Canyon’s South Rim (2pm-7pm)
•Stargazing? any programs for this?
•Dinner, overnight at Grand Canyon South Rim (lodging suggestions?)
•Breakfast at South Rim
•Spend the day at the Grand Canyon South Rim
•Mule ride, hiking trails, scenic drive?
•Lunch, dinner, overnight at South Rim
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (7-9am)
•Drive to Monument Valley (9am-1pm)
•Lunch at Monument Valley (1-2pm)
•Afternoon in Monument Valley (2-5pm)
•Dinner, check into nearby hotel (where?)
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (9-10am)
•Drive to Four Corners Monument (10-12pm)
•Lunch at Four Corners (12-2pm)
•Drive to Cortez, CO, check into hotel (2-3pm)
•Afternoon, evening, dinner in Cortez
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (7-8am)
•Drive to Mesa Verde National Park (8-9am)
•Day at Mesa Verde, lunch at Mesa Verde (9-6pm)
•Drive to Durango, CO (6-7:30pm)
•Check into hotel, dinner, overnight in Durango
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (8-9am)
•Morning in Durango? (9am-11am)
•Drive to Pagosa Springs, CO (11am-12:30pm)
•Lunch in Pagosa Springs (12:30-2pm)
•Drive to Santa Fe, NM (2-5pm)
•Check into hotel, dinner, overnight in Santa Fe
•All day in Santa Fe (spa, cultural activities, etc)
•Overnight in Santa Fe
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (10-11am)
•Drive to Albuquerque, NM (11-12pm)
•Lunch in Albuquerque (12-1)
•Drive to airport, drop off car (1-2pm)
•ABQ -> AUS
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Santa Fe Itineray
- 2 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 3 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 4 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 5 How many states have you been to?
- 6 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 7 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 8 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 9 Roadtrip July 2017
- 10 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 11 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 12 Yellowstone, Itinerary before
- 13 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 14 Retiring to Tucson
- 15 Big Sure in June
- 16 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 17 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 18 Carmel Monterey
- 19 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 20 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 21 Arches Devils Garden
- 22 Folly, Surfside, Carolina or Wrightsville Beach?
- 23 RV camping near Yosemite NP
- 24 Road trip to NP: from Denver to San Francisco or the other way around?
- 25 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
Hello fellow travelers,