Hello fellow travelers,
I am planning a 9 day trip with my boyfriend across the Southwest (specifically Arizona, Colorado, and New Mexico) in early October. We plan to fly into Phoenix and fly out of Albuquerque, driving a rental car to all the stops in between. Here's my tentative itinerary- can anyone give me feedback on whether this is doable in the time I've allotted, and whether the selected destinations are the best (and most efficient) use of our limited time? Any and all suggestions are appreciated- we have never been to this region of the country before.
AUS -> PHX (arrive 10am)
•pick up rental car (10:30-11am)
•drive to Flagstaff (11am-1pm))
•lunch, check into hotel (1pm-2pm)
•drive to Petrified Forest National Park (2pm-3:30pm)
•Enjoy Petrified Forest/Painted Desert (4pm-6pm), drive back to Flagstaff (6pm-8pm)
•Dinner, overnight in Flagstaff
•Check out of hotel (4:30am)
•Sunrise balloon ride over Sedona Desert- breakfast included (5-10am)
•Drive to Grand Canyon (12-1:30pm)
•Spend afternoon at Grand Canyon’s South Rim (2pm-7pm)
•Stargazing? any programs for this?
•Dinner, overnight at Grand Canyon South Rim (lodging suggestions?)
•Breakfast at South Rim
•Spend the day at the Grand Canyon South Rim
•Mule ride, hiking trails, scenic drive?
•Lunch, dinner, overnight at South Rim
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (7-9am)
•Drive to Monument Valley (9am-1pm)
•Lunch at Monument Valley (1-2pm)
•Afternoon in Monument Valley (2-5pm)
•Dinner, check into nearby hotel (where?)
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (9-10am)
•Drive to Four Corners Monument (10-12pm)
•Lunch at Four Corners (12-2pm)
•Drive to Cortez, CO, check into hotel (2-3pm)
•Afternoon, evening, dinner in Cortez
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (7-8am)
•Drive to Mesa Verde National Park (8-9am)
•Day at Mesa Verde, lunch at Mesa Verde (9-6pm)
•Drive to Durango, CO (6-7:30pm)
•Check into hotel, dinner, overnight in Durango
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (8-9am)
•Morning in Durango? (9am-11am)
•Drive to Pagosa Springs, CO (11am-12:30pm)
•Lunch in Pagosa Springs (12:30-2pm)
•Drive to Santa Fe, NM (2-5pm)
•Check into hotel, dinner, overnight in Santa Fe
•All day in Santa Fe (spa, cultural activities, etc)
•Overnight in Santa Fe
•Breakfast, check out of hotel (10-11am)
•Drive to Albuquerque, NM (11-12pm)
•Lunch in Albuquerque (12-1)
•Drive to airport, drop off car (1-2pm)
•ABQ -> AUS
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 9-10 day trip to WA
- 2 San Diego/La Jolla?
- 3 Walking Safety Near Boston Common
- 4 Hawaii - June vs Aug, hotel vs rental
- 5 Revisiting Kauai: Heartbreak and Happiness
- 6 California Trip
- 7 Northeast/Mid-Atlantics States History/Beach Vacation
- 8 Need help nailing down the details
- 9 Metropolitan Opera - good seats?
- 10 Florida Beaches Compared To Caribbean
- 11 Proposed Los Angeles itinerary, almost exclusively without a car
- 12 Turo?
- 13 Seattle or Portland or Vancouver?
- 14 Recommendations for Hikes in Glacier National Park
- 15 SW Colorado-help with details please
- 16 Tohono Chul Tucson?
- 17 NYC For The Day
- 18 Alaska cruise excursions?
- 19 Senior citizens traveling as groupl
- 20 Breckenridge, Estes Park, and Fort Collins in May
- 21 NEW ORLEANS AND CAJUN COUNTRY...A WEEK-LONG FOOD QUEST
- 22 Tour of the Grand Circle USA .HELP!
- 23 Cross Country Road Trip VA - San Francisco
- 24 Laguna Beach Hotel
- 25 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
Hello fellow travelers,