I would like some feedback on the following Itinerary:
Saturday 5th Nov Arrive in Savannah early am by train from overnight NY train - day sightseeing and overnight in Savannah.
Sunday 6th Nov Rent Car & Drive to Charleston & sights along the way
Monday 7th Nov Day in Charleston then onight train to Richmond
Tuesday 8th Nov Arrive 4:45 am - Day sightseeing - onight in RIchmond
Wed 9th Nov Charlettsville/Monticello, and allpoints to Lexington - BlueRidge Parkway from Lexington to Staunton - onight in Staunton
Thu 10th Nov Depart early - Staunton to DC via Skyline Drive - Arrive DC PM
- Any recommendations for hotel in Richmond / Staunton ?
The main reason for doing bits of the parkway & Skyline Drv is for the scenary, and hopefully there will be some fall leaves to view (depending on elevation?) Does anyone know how long it would take to get from Staunton (via waynsboro entrance to skyline drive) to Washington DC ? I could do a section of it, then take an exit onto the #81 & to DC that way - any thoughts on which part of the skyline would be the best?
Also, what are your thoughts on Lexington Vs Staunton Vs Harrisonberg
I have tried mapquest etc, but I cant seem to get any indication of travel times via parkway/skyline drive.
I realise you guys might think i am crazy, but here in Australia we are accustomed to driving great distances to get anywhere. It is the travel time that worries me, as we are allowed to travel at 70miles per hour on the highway over here, but I understand you are restricted to 55mph? Also, with the parkway/skyline distance isnt the issue, it is how long it takes to drive, which I cant seem to get any info on.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Savannah to RIchmond to DC via BlueRidge Parkway & Skyline Drive
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 2 boston to nantucket: what are our options?
- 3 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 4 driving from San Francisco to Seattle
- 5 NYC theatre broadway
- 6 Your favorite Glacier NP lodging and itinerary help
- 7 First family ski trip
- 8 Suggestions? Family of four that like National Parks
- 9 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 10 Feedback on Palm Springs with Kids Itinerary
- 11 Commute from Kailua Kona to Hilo - doable?
- 12 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 13 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 14 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's
- 15 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 16 Visiting Denver
- 17 Visiting Denver
- 18 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 20 Alternatives to Disney in Florida
- 21 Death Valley in June in a motorhome
- 22 Denver in a half day
- 23 Safe Way of renting property in Orlando
- 24 Return to Utah - New Sites
- 25 Oahu ideas