Hi everyone -
We are flying to SFO in mid-August and, after a very brief stop in San Francisco (we have been there many times already) heading to Yosemite for three days. After that, it is back to the coast to Monterey, from which we will head south. (Either coming or going, we want to hit San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House - has long been on my son's list of things to do.)
I am having a hard time figuring out the "best" way to get inland and back. Nothing seems to be quick, nor do any of the routes go through places I have heard much about. We would be interested in seeing ghost towns/gold country if that can be done easily. Stopping at a vineyard could also be an option to break up the trip, but again, nothing is jumping out just looking at the maps.
I am assuming it would be 4 - 5 hours each way assuming we don't stop for sightseeing. If there is one route that is more scenic and one that is faster/easier, we could do a different route from SF than we do returing to Monterey. We plan to stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite for three nights, but if there is someplace on the way that looks good, we could do that the first night instead.
We are two adults and a 9 year old, seasoned travelers, interested in outdoors, scenery, history, whatever (mainly interested in making this long drive interesting!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Route from CA coast to/from Yosemite
Hi everyone -
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Sea Lice in Florida
- 2 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 3 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 4 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 5 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 6 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 7 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 8 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 9 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 10 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 11 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 12 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 13 Breckenridge in October
- 14 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 15 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 16 Richmond highlights?
- 17 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 18 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 19 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 20 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 21 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 22 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 23 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 24 Washington DC in Spring?
- 25 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai