Hi everyone -
We are flying to SFO in mid-August and, after a very brief stop in San Francisco (we have been there many times already) heading to Yosemite for three days. After that, it is back to the coast to Monterey, from which we will head south. (Either coming or going, we want to hit San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House - has long been on my son's list of things to do.)
I am having a hard time figuring out the "best" way to get inland and back. Nothing seems to be quick, nor do any of the routes go through places I have heard much about. We would be interested in seeing ghost towns/gold country if that can be done easily. Stopping at a vineyard could also be an option to break up the trip, but again, nothing is jumping out just looking at the maps.
I am assuming it would be 4 - 5 hours each way assuming we don't stop for sightseeing. If there is one route that is more scenic and one that is faster/easier, we could do a different route from SF than we do returing to Monterey. We plan to stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite for three nights, but if there is someplace on the way that looks good, we could do that the first night instead.
We are two adults and a 9 year old, seasoned travelers, interested in outdoors, scenery, history, whatever (mainly interested in making this long drive interesting!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Route from CA coast to/from Yosemite
Hi everyone -
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC over Memorial Day Weekend 2014
- 2 WEst Coast WINTER holiday - 5 weeks driving.
- 3 Hotel recommendation for San Francisco
- 4 Cab Cost from McCarren to Venetian Hotel?
- 5 Florida--single woman seeks best beaches for swimming and
- 6 Yellowstone Lodging in October
- 7 Seeking advice from year round Tucson residents
- 8 My Boston weekend...killing time near MGH
- 9 Where can I best see Orca whales in the wild?
- 10 NYC apartments through CitySonnet.com
- 11 Kennedy Space Center
- 12 Alexandria or Georgetown
- 13 Should we stop for a Saturday night in Baltimore?
- 14 Lunch with little girls UWS?
- 15 Metro from airport to hotel?
- 16 5 week in US/Mexico
- 17 AK-Glacier Bay, Wrangel Elias, Lake Clark, Matanuska glacier, Valdez?
- 18 John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum
- 19 recommended cheaper hotels around thanksgiving
- 20 RIP Rizzoli, J&R Music, Pearl Paint
- 21 Book ahead for weekends this spring in Asheville, NC
- 22 Best non-chic, non-strip Hotel choices in Las Vegas??
- 23 Colorado Trip in Late May 2014
- 24 Albuquerque Recommendations
- 25 San Diego Itinerary-- Suggestions???