Hi everyone -
We are flying to SFO in mid-August and, after a very brief stop in San Francisco (we have been there many times already) heading to Yosemite for three days. After that, it is back to the coast to Monterey, from which we will head south. (Either coming or going, we want to hit San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House - has long been on my son's list of things to do.)
I am having a hard time figuring out the "best" way to get inland and back. Nothing seems to be quick, nor do any of the routes go through places I have heard much about. We would be interested in seeing ghost towns/gold country if that can be done easily. Stopping at a vineyard could also be an option to break up the trip, but again, nothing is jumping out just looking at the maps.
I am assuming it would be 4 - 5 hours each way assuming we don't stop for sightseeing. If there is one route that is more scenic and one that is faster/easier, we could do a different route from SF than we do returing to Monterey. We plan to stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite for three nights, but if there is someplace on the way that looks good, we could do that the first night instead.
We are two adults and a 9 year old, seasoned travelers, interested in outdoors, scenery, history, whatever (mainly interested in making this long drive interesting!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Route from CA coast to/from Yosemite
Hi everyone -
- 1 the Cliffs Resort at Princeville
- 2 Spending a week in Palm Springs in February
- 3 Where to stay for a Baltimore/DC trip
- 4 RV trip from Raleigh NC to Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches.. and?
- 5 Family holiday to Hawaii - which islands?
- 6 Univesity of Wisconsin Madison college visit -any tips
- 7 Vero Beach FL
- 8 Antelope Canyon, Zion, and Bryce advice needed
- 9 Two days December Arches Zion or ???
- 10 For NYC Tourists ... How to spot a New Yorker
- 11 Question about Boulder area
- 12 Camping near Vail, Colorado
- 13 What is the most European looking city in the United States?
- 14 Hike down the Grand Canyon in February?
- 15 Zion or Death Valley for 2 days in December?
- 16 Savanah Sojourn
- 17 visiting Arizona area for 18 days from May19th 2014
- 18 San Antonio
- 19 San Francisco Hotel Help
- 20 Inexpensive Weekend Getaway- New England
- 21 Easter Holiday on Kauai with 10 year old daughter
- 22 NOLA 10th Anniv. Suggestions?
- 23 Christmas-time in New York City? Special holiday experiences?
- 24 Viginia Jan 18-21st
- 25 Paul Rabe - A West Chester Question