Hi everyone -
We are flying to SFO in mid-August and, after a very brief stop in San Francisco (we have been there many times already) heading to Yosemite for three days. After that, it is back to the coast to Monterey, from which we will head south. (Either coming or going, we want to hit San Jose for the Winchester Mystery House - has long been on my son's list of things to do.)
I am having a hard time figuring out the "best" way to get inland and back. Nothing seems to be quick, nor do any of the routes go through places I have heard much about. We would be interested in seeing ghost towns/gold country if that can be done easily. Stopping at a vineyard could also be an option to break up the trip, but again, nothing is jumping out just looking at the maps.
I am assuming it would be 4 - 5 hours each way assuming we don't stop for sightseeing. If there is one route that is more scenic and one that is faster/easier, we could do a different route from SF than we do returing to Monterey. We plan to stay at the Tenaya Lodge in Yosemite for three nights, but if there is someplace on the way that looks good, we could do that the first night instead.
We are two adults and a 9 year old, seasoned travelers, interested in outdoors, scenery, history, whatever (mainly interested in making this long drive interesting!)
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NORTON 1800:681:7208 installation renewal CONTACT NORTON Tec*h care 24/7
- 2 Hawaii and...where?
- 3 Short Oregon Trip
- 4 West coast to East Coast in April-May 2018
- 5 arizona rte 66
- 6 Philadelphia travel ideas
- 7 Cruising the Cs: Canyon de Chelly, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef
- 8 Secaucus as base for New York 3 days-advice
- 9 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 10 Eating Well In Manhatten
- 11 Driving conditions from Denver to Winter Park
- 12 Another Great DC Trip
- 13 Lunch near 9/11 Memorial
- 14 Gatlinburg/Smokies trip report, with photos and captions
- 15 Black History Museum
- 16 Wash DC VRBO recommendation
- 17 Chicago 2017
- 18 How much time in Badlands?
- 19 3-day beach weekend in FL Nov for 2 adults
- 20 Where to stay in Little Rock AR
- 21 seeking advice -- scenic drive from DC to Chapel Hill
- 22 DC Restaurants
- 23 Sequoia National Park/Kings Canyon/Amtrak/Tours/grandchild
- 24 usa roadtrip
- 25 Visiting San Antonio early November
Hi everyone -