My girlfriend and I were planning a trip from San Fran to Orlando through the southern states (here's the original plan: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/road-trip-from-san-francisco-to-orlando.cfm ) but now things have changed and the roadtrip has extended.
We're now planning to drive a friend's car from New York City, through the northern states to San Fran, then back to NYC through the southern states, but also stopping in Orlando, FL.
Here's our plan for the first leg of the trip:
NEW YORK CITY, NY -> CLEVELAND, OH -> CHICAGO, IL -> MT RUSHMORE, SD -> YELLOWSTONE, WY -> BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, UT -> SAN FRANCISCO, CA
And the second leg of the trip:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -> LAS VEGAS, NV -> GRAND CANYON, AZ -> CANYONLANDS / ARCHES NATIONAL PARK, UT -> SANTA FE / TAOS, NM -> ROSWELL, NM -> SAN ANTONIO, TX -> FORT WORTH, TX -> NEW ORLEANS, LA -> MEMPHIS, TN -> NASHVILLE, TN -> GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK, TN -> CHARLESTON, SC -> SAVANNAH, GA -> ORLANDO, FL -> NEW YORK CITY, NY
Obviously, there's a bit of a backtrack with the trip back up to New York, so we could make some changes there.
We'd love to hear your thoughts and any advice on what to see and where to go on our first northern leg of the trip, and also any advice on how to manage the backtracking with the end of our second southern leg of the trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Traveling with an infant
- 2 Relocating to Washington DC
- 3 Commuting to New Jersey from Manhattan
- 4 Nightine Transport! Best Hotel?
- 5 How to get from the Frick Collection to Brooklyn Academy of Music
- 6 San Diego - Del vs. Loews Coronado Bay
- 7 Acadia National Park
- 8 2017 Yellowstone or bust
- 9 Early 30's Couple Spending Two Weeks in Coastal Maine and Canada
- 10 2 1/2 days in Mesa Verde, Santa Fe, Taos
- 11 Yellowstone - places to stay
- 12 VRBO is now charging renters a service fee--What's up?
- 13 From Newark to Manhattan
- 14 Entrance Time for Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands NPs?
- 15 Yellowstone/GTNP trip booked! Now need tour advice please.
- 16 Palm Springs, CA trip advice
- 17 Monument Valley
- 18 A few reviews from our Santa Monica/Disneyland trip
- 19 driving RT 66
- 20 once in a lifetime
- 21 North California/South Oregon
- 22 Hotels Houston
- 23 Looking for REPUTABLE travel insurance in US
- 24 Birthday vacation ideas
- 25 Another Outstanding Los Angeles Restaurant: Officine BRERA