My girlfriend and I were planning a trip from San Fran to Orlando through the southern states (here's the original plan: http://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/road-trip-from-san-francisco-to-orlando.cfm ) but now things have changed and the roadtrip has extended.
We're now planning to drive a friend's car from New York City, through the northern states to San Fran, then back to NYC through the southern states, but also stopping in Orlando, FL.
Here's our plan for the first leg of the trip:
NEW YORK CITY, NY -> CLEVELAND, OH -> CHICAGO, IL -> MT RUSHMORE, SD -> YELLOWSTONE, WY -> BONNEVILLE SALT FLATS, UT -> SAN FRANCISCO, CA
And the second leg of the trip:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -> LAS VEGAS, NV -> GRAND CANYON, AZ -> CANYONLANDS / ARCHES NATIONAL PARK, UT -> SANTA FE / TAOS, NM -> ROSWELL, NM -> SAN ANTONIO, TX -> FORT WORTH, TX -> NEW ORLEANS, LA -> MEMPHIS, TN -> NASHVILLE, TN -> GREAT SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK, TN -> CHARLESTON, SC -> SAVANNAH, GA -> ORLANDO, FL -> NEW YORK CITY, NY
Obviously, there's a bit of a backtrack with the trip back up to New York, so we could make some changes there.
We'd love to hear your thoughts and any advice on what to see and where to go on our first northern leg of the trip, and also any advice on how to manage the backtracking with the end of our second southern leg of the trip.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Our House Has no Hot Tub - Where to Soak in Crested Butte
- 2 5 days in Colorado
- 3 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 4 Washington DC with kids
- 5 Trip to northern California
- 6 Native and Natural Interests near the Grand Canyon
- 7 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 8 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 9 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 10 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 11 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 12 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 13 Safety Concerns
- 14 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 15 Sedona for a Month
- 16 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 17 Alaska -public transport
- 18 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 19 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 20 New England fall foilage trip planning please
- 21 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 22 Southwest road trip
- 23 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 24 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 25 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter