Hello! My DH and I are taking our girls, 11 and 13, to Bar Harbor in late June/early July this year. The last time we went, in 2006, we stopped once at the Maine Diner in Wells for a quick meal but for the most part, we drove straight through. Now that they're older, we'd like some ideas about interesting stops between MA and ME to make on the way there and back...nothing that takes us too off course or will take more than 3 hours. Would be nice to combine a great breakfast or lunch in a funky or locally iconic setting (anything from well-known restaurants to lobster shacks) with a manageable downtown stroll or perhaps a quick lighthouse visit or pretty seaside walk. We could also consider staying overnight somewhere on the way home if the cost is reasonable and the location is somewhat along the road back to NJ. Thanks for your help!
NJ to Bar Harbor with young teens...places to stop along the way
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Need recommendations for a restaurant in Rochester, NY!
- 2 Washington Monument Reservtions and timing ~ plus Paddleboats
- 3 Best place to stay for Canyon de Chelly
- 4 Which neighborhood to stay in that's convenient to Broadway shows?
- 5 4 Days in Kauai what to see and do
- 6 Feedback needed for our book club trip to New England
- 7 New York City-New Things?
- 8 2 Short Trips to NYC: Broadway, Opera, Tenements, Hotels, Cholesterol
- 9 Alaska Trip Planning
- 10 Northern California for 7 days in May
- 11 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 12 Driving from RI to NB, Best Place to Overnight in Maine?
- 13 Does the Warner Brothers Tour (Burbank) actually sell out?
- 14 A Napa Valley Reprise: Mom turns the big 5-0!
- 15 Finger Lakes itineray suggestions?
- 16 Best restaurants in Seattle
- 17 Traffic from Wine Country to SFO on weekday
- 18 Broadway Banter revived, Spring 2015!
- 19 DC - WW2 flyover
- 20 Traveling from Vegas to Grand Canyon and Southern Utah
- 21 3 Days in Northern California w Car- Itinerary Recommendations?
- 22 Don't let me miss any special spots, YNP & GTNP in July.
- 23 New York in May - Dinner at Bouley,
- 24 Hiking in Georgia - beautiful photos
- 25 Rochester > Montreal > Quebec Road Trip