I am stopping by the forum again after getting great advice here last time. I have been doing heaps of research and I am thinking that maybe we will try to do Yellowstone NP and Glacier National Park. We are looking at flying into Bozeman on Saturday 21st of June 2014. I managed to get accommodation booked in Yellowstone (after taking all your advice about booking ASAP) at the Lake Cabins on Sunday night the 22nd of June.
So far all I can work out is that we will pick up a hire car from Bozeman airport Saturday afternoon and drive to 320 Ranch in Big Sky for the afternoon and evening. I think we will have a 1 hour fly fishing casting lesson that afternoon when we arrive at the cabins (my 7 year old will love it).
Sunday morning after breakfast we will depart and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Wolf & Grizzly discovery centre. Have lunch in West Yellowstone and then drive out to see the Old Faithful geyser and Old Faithful Inn before moving onto our accommodation. Is this too rushed? I have looked for accommodation in the park for Monday night but everything was booked out!
Please let me know if you think I could start our trip in the other direction, through a different entrance to Yellowstone. I looked into some lodges and cabins between Livingstone and the entrance that looked like fun with nightly cook outs and campfires etc. We are certainly open to a bit of family entertainment wherever we stay.
We will have another 5 or 6 nights after this to spend between this area and Glacier National Park. All our time doesn't have to be spent in the parks as we aren't able to hike (my youngest will only be 3 and a half). Basically I would love to take pics and hopefully see some wildlife. I would also love to do a bit of shopping in Missoula or somewhere like that (definitely going to buy myself some cowgirl boots while in Montana) and eat in small town cafe's etc. I also want to do a half day rafting trip (on my own, will leave kids with husband to do this).
We will probably fly back to LA the following Sunday 29th of June and after looking for direct flights (hate changing planes!) and prices, I think the best option would be to fly out of Spokane.
Is it too early in the summer season to drive to 'going to the sun' road in Glacier NP? From what I have read it'd be only just opened if it is.
Any advice would be appreciated so I can continue doing my research and planning an itinerary! Thanks..
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Blackcore edge works awesome
- 2 US Open Tennis
- 3 Steamboat in August
- 4 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
- 5 JFK 10 hour layover-World Trade Center + ?
- 6 Hawaii with limited time
- 7 Glacier-Banaff-Jasper NPs Car Rental
- 8 Trip report -- Vermont: Bennington and Manchester
- 9 Cape cod Labor Day
- 10 Portland to mt St. Helens and my rainer
- 11 Grand Teton Questions
- 12 October 2016 Hawaii trip help please
- 13 Your favourite places in New York City
- 14 Belmond Charleston, Mills House Wyndham or Spectator?
- 15 Trip Report: Charleston SC, Hilton Head, Savannah GA and Jekyll Island
- 16 5-7day one way Cruise or 26 glacier day cruise
- 17 where do the locals eat in Portland, Maine
- 18 One night one day in dallas accommodation
- 19 Help with first road trip - southeast us in January?
- 20 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 21 hiking in RMNP - Clothing Layers in August
- 22 Need help with National Parks trip in 2017
- 23 Calming Stay near Seattle/Vacouver??
- 24 Hawaii - What 2 Islands? Maui, HI or Honolulu
- 25 Los Angeles - 2 Days