I am stopping by the forum again after getting great advice here last time. I have been doing heaps of research and I am thinking that maybe we will try to do Yellowstone NP and Glacier National Park. We are looking at flying into Bozeman on Saturday 21st of June 2014. I managed to get accommodation booked in Yellowstone (after taking all your advice about booking ASAP) at the Lake Cabins on Sunday night the 22nd of June.
So far all I can work out is that we will pick up a hire car from Bozeman airport Saturday afternoon and drive to 320 Ranch in Big Sky for the afternoon and evening. I think we will have a 1 hour fly fishing casting lesson that afternoon when we arrive at the cabins (my 7 year old will love it).
Sunday morning after breakfast we will depart and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Wolf & Grizzly discovery centre. Have lunch in West Yellowstone and then drive out to see the Old Faithful geyser and Old Faithful Inn before moving onto our accommodation. Is this too rushed? I have looked for accommodation in the park for Monday night but everything was booked out!
Please let me know if you think I could start our trip in the other direction, through a different entrance to Yellowstone. I looked into some lodges and cabins between Livingstone and the entrance that looked like fun with nightly cook outs and campfires etc. We are certainly open to a bit of family entertainment wherever we stay.
We will have another 5 or 6 nights after this to spend between this area and Glacier National Park. All our time doesn't have to be spent in the parks as we aren't able to hike (my youngest will only be 3 and a half). Basically I would love to take pics and hopefully see some wildlife. I would also love to do a bit of shopping in Missoula or somewhere like that (definitely going to buy myself some cowgirl boots while in Montana) and eat in small town cafe's etc. I also want to do a half day rafting trip (on my own, will leave kids with husband to do this).
We will probably fly back to LA the following Sunday 29th of June and after looking for direct flights (hate changing planes!) and prices, I think the best option would be to fly out of Spokane.
Is it too early in the summer season to drive to 'going to the sun' road in Glacier NP? From what I have read it'd be only just opened if it is.
Any advice would be appreciated so I can continue doing my research and planning an itinerary! Thanks..
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 disneyland
- 2 Arizona in winter
- 3 Paris-Room Selection Advice Needed ASAP for last minute trip. TIA.
- 4 Advertising Sublets in NYC Now Illegal - Air BnB Has Pulled Listings
- 5 Polynesian Cultural Centre
- 6 2016/17 Ski Season Opens
- 7 Restaurant Recommendations mid-city Manhattan
- 8 Key West
- 9 Eastern California Winter Roadtrip
- 10 Glacier and Grand Tetons: June or July
- 11 Las Vegas Vacation
- 12 LA! Active, FUN couple - area to stay/itenerary
- 13 Savannah and Charleston over New Years.
- 14 moving to Florida
- 15 Warmth in December without Zika??
- 16 Washington DC Trip in December with Small Children
- 17 DC restaurant report
- 18 Travel in Houston and surrounding area
- 19 Trip Report: San Francisco, Monterey, Wine Country
- 20 The famous SF -> Seattle road trip
- 21 Northern California Redwoods
- 22 Southwestern Virginia Ideas?
- 23 Smoky Mountains Honeymoon
- 24 East Tennesee to mohonk.
- 25 Neue Galerie