I am stopping by the forum again after getting great advice here last time. I have been doing heaps of research and I am thinking that maybe we will try to do Yellowstone NP and Glacier National Park. We are looking at flying into Bozeman on Saturday 21st of June 2014. I managed to get accommodation booked in Yellowstone (after taking all your advice about booking ASAP) at the Lake Cabins on Sunday night the 22nd of June.
So far all I can work out is that we will pick up a hire car from Bozeman airport Saturday afternoon and drive to 320 Ranch in Big Sky for the afternoon and evening. I think we will have a 1 hour fly fishing casting lesson that afternoon when we arrive at the cabins (my 7 year old will love it).
Sunday morning after breakfast we will depart and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Wolf & Grizzly discovery centre. Have lunch in West Yellowstone and then drive out to see the Old Faithful geyser and Old Faithful Inn before moving onto our accommodation. Is this too rushed? I have looked for accommodation in the park for Monday night but everything was booked out!
Please let me know if you think I could start our trip in the other direction, through a different entrance to Yellowstone. I looked into some lodges and cabins between Livingstone and the entrance that looked like fun with nightly cook outs and campfires etc. We are certainly open to a bit of family entertainment wherever we stay.
We will have another 5 or 6 nights after this to spend between this area and Glacier National Park. All our time doesn't have to be spent in the parks as we aren't able to hike (my youngest will only be 3 and a half). Basically I would love to take pics and hopefully see some wildlife. I would also love to do a bit of shopping in Missoula or somewhere like that (definitely going to buy myself some cowgirl boots while in Montana) and eat in small town cafe's etc. I also want to do a half day rafting trip (on my own, will leave kids with husband to do this).
We will probably fly back to LA the following Sunday 29th of June and after looking for direct flights (hate changing planes!) and prices, I think the best option would be to fly out of Spokane.
Is it too early in the summer season to drive to 'going to the sun' road in Glacier NP? From what I have read it'd be only just opened if it is.
Any advice would be appreciated so I can continue doing my research and planning an itinerary! Thanks..
More advice re Yellowstone NP & Glacier NP Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 T-Shirts for Halloween day!
- 2 Timeshare Nightmares
- 3 Road trips - CHI-ATL and MEM-NOLA - April/May 2014
- 4 Antelope Canyon, Best Friends, Bryce, Zion trip report
- 5 bus tour for Grand canyon(South Rim), Horse shoe in 1-day?
- 6 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 7 Drinking a beer in all 50 states for cancer reseach. Need bar suggestions!
- 8 let's do a new Hawaii countdown
- 9 Wilderness Lodge at Disney World questions
- 10 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 11 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 12 Kanab and Page with Kids Trip Report
- 13 How to dress in Vegas
- 14 Packer game hotel on the bus line.
- 15 Trip Report to Pacific Northwest: August 2014
- 16 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 17 USA trip
- 18 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 19 Chicago Questions
- 20 Air Connections on Maui
- 21 camaro hire in waikiki
- 22 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 23 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 24 Breckenridge in October
- 25 New Orleans in November - too cool?