I am stopping by the forum again after getting great advice here last time. I have been doing heaps of research and I am thinking that maybe we will try to do Yellowstone NP and Glacier National Park. We are looking at flying into Bozeman on Saturday 21st of June 2014. I managed to get accommodation booked in Yellowstone (after taking all your advice about booking ASAP) at the Lake Cabins on Sunday night the 22nd of June.
So far all I can work out is that we will pick up a hire car from Bozeman airport Saturday afternoon and drive to 320 Ranch in Big Sky for the afternoon and evening. I think we will have a 1 hour fly fishing casting lesson that afternoon when we arrive at the cabins (my 7 year old will love it).
Sunday morning after breakfast we will depart and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Wolf & Grizzly discovery centre. Have lunch in West Yellowstone and then drive out to see the Old Faithful geyser and Old Faithful Inn before moving onto our accommodation. Is this too rushed? I have looked for accommodation in the park for Monday night but everything was booked out!
Please let me know if you think I could start our trip in the other direction, through a different entrance to Yellowstone. I looked into some lodges and cabins between Livingstone and the entrance that looked like fun with nightly cook outs and campfires etc. We are certainly open to a bit of family entertainment wherever we stay.
We will have another 5 or 6 nights after this to spend between this area and Glacier National Park. All our time doesn't have to be spent in the parks as we aren't able to hike (my youngest will only be 3 and a half). Basically I would love to take pics and hopefully see some wildlife. I would also love to do a bit of shopping in Missoula or somewhere like that (definitely going to buy myself some cowgirl boots while in Montana) and eat in small town cafe's etc. I also want to do a half day rafting trip (on my own, will leave kids with husband to do this).
We will probably fly back to LA the following Sunday 29th of June and after looking for direct flights (hate changing planes!) and prices, I think the best option would be to fly out of Spokane.
Is it too early in the summer season to drive to 'going to the sun' road in Glacier NP? From what I have read it'd be only just opened if it is.
Any advice would be appreciated so I can continue doing my research and planning an itinerary! Thanks..
More advice re Yellowstone NP & Glacier NP Itinerary
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 united and carry-ons
- 2 Any feedback on our roadtrip schedule would be much appreciated!
- 3 Best seafood restaurant in Boston
- 4 Planning help for honeymoon - likely Maui and the big island of Hawaii
- 5 Near Plum Island, MA ...what to see and do?
- 6 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 7 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 8 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 9 Car rental through Priceline bidding
- 10 Restaurants in Charleston, SC
- 11 Lodging in Mendocino County (Anderson Valley, Booneville, ??)
- 12 Durango-Ouray-Telluride- Mesa Verde
- 13 Yellowstone & Grand Tetons Wildlife
- 14 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 15 Spending February on the Florida Panhandle
- 16 And now...The 100 Best Things to Eat in Philadelphia
- 17 Road Trip Sept/Oct (4 weeks) Key West-Carolina's-Nashville-Memphis-Dallas-Denver
- 18 Philadelphia
- 19 Arizona road trip any changes?
- 20 USA with a 3 year old
- 21 First family ski trip
- 22 NYC theatre broadway
- 23 Need Ideas for Quiet Vacation in Upstate New York
- 24 Universal studios/Orlando
- 25 Florida, Gulf Coast recommendations