I am stopping by the forum again after getting great advice here last time. I have been doing heaps of research and I am thinking that maybe we will try to do Yellowstone NP and Glacier National Park. We are looking at flying into Bozeman on Saturday 21st of June 2014. I managed to get accommodation booked in Yellowstone (after taking all your advice about booking ASAP) at the Lake Cabins on Sunday night the 22nd of June.
So far all I can work out is that we will pick up a hire car from Bozeman airport Saturday afternoon and drive to 320 Ranch in Big Sky for the afternoon and evening. I think we will have a 1 hour fly fishing casting lesson that afternoon when we arrive at the cabins (my 7 year old will love it).
Sunday morning after breakfast we will depart and go to West Yellowstone and visit the Wolf & Grizzly discovery centre. Have lunch in West Yellowstone and then drive out to see the Old Faithful geyser and Old Faithful Inn before moving onto our accommodation. Is this too rushed? I have looked for accommodation in the park for Monday night but everything was booked out!
Please let me know if you think I could start our trip in the other direction, through a different entrance to Yellowstone. I looked into some lodges and cabins between Livingstone and the entrance that looked like fun with nightly cook outs and campfires etc. We are certainly open to a bit of family entertainment wherever we stay.
We will have another 5 or 6 nights after this to spend between this area and Glacier National Park. All our time doesn't have to be spent in the parks as we aren't able to hike (my youngest will only be 3 and a half). Basically I would love to take pics and hopefully see some wildlife. I would also love to do a bit of shopping in Missoula or somewhere like that (definitely going to buy myself some cowgirl boots while in Montana) and eat in small town cafe's etc. I also want to do a half day rafting trip (on my own, will leave kids with husband to do this).
We will probably fly back to LA the following Sunday 29th of June and after looking for direct flights (hate changing planes!) and prices, I think the best option would be to fly out of Spokane.
Is it too early in the summer season to drive to 'going to the sun' road in Glacier NP? From what I have read it'd be only just opened if it is.
Any advice would be appreciated so I can continue doing my research and planning an itinerary! Thanks..
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Newport RI Jazz Festival
- 2 Withdrawing cash to buy a car
- 3 Alcatrez sold out
- 4 Key West - Kids Friendly?
- 5 New York with my 16 year old granddaughter
- 6 Relocation help - move to cool climate
- 7 WA to CT
- 8 The Frugals Go To Maine
- 9 We want too see Statue of liberty. Flying into EWR and out of Jfk
- 10 Need Help w/ Itinerary-Redwood NP, Mendocino, Sea Ranch Lodge
- 11 Would Torrey be a good base for Moab/Canyonlands
- 12 Kids missing three weeks of school.
- 13 How long to spend at Lassen Volcanic NP?
- 14 4 OR 5 BEDROOM CABIN IN WISCONSIN, IOWA OR MINNESOTA FOR ANNUAL GIRL TRIP
- 15 Hawaii with 2 young teens
- 16 Maine weather and temps
- 17 L.A. and Sequoia
- 18 Maine Lobster Rolls
- 19 Nantucket Baggage Storage
- 20 Cross Country Road Trip Phoenix to Boston
- 21 Broadway
- 22 Buying MI lake house- which lake is warmer, medium sized and clear?
- 23 Do you need a car in Siesta Key? 1st timer....
- 24 A great birthday trip to Charleston!
- 25 Road Trip from Dallas to Miami