Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Itinerary to America - Guidance Needed
- 2 How can the weather report be so wrong?
- 3 Not sure how long and how to explore the florida keys
- 4 Hotels in Beaufort, SC and Charleston, SC
- 5 Dry Tortugas, Ferry or SeaPlane
- 6 Seattle to San Francisco
- 7 Welltravbrit's Ongoing NYC Jaunt
- 8 San Francisco and Napa
- 9 Miami to West Palm Beach tomorrow!
- 10 Relocating to the Deep South
- 11 Modern, clean Miami Airport hotel ???
- 12 Bagging a bargain on Black Friday?
- 13 Utah: Southern Parks Itinerary Help
- 14 Warren & Annbelle's Maui
- 15 Philadelphia PA: Safe Place/Watched Lot to Leave Car Near NYC Bus Depot
- 16 What should a foreigner know about the US?
- 17 Budget hotel San Francisco
- 18 Budget NYC hotel
- 19 2.5 days in New York. Are hotels the only option?
- 20 Timeshare on Cape Cod
- 21 OUR MANHATTAN ADVENTURE 2015
- 22 Restaurant recomendations in the east 54th Street area, please.
- 23 Best place for first night; Beach?
- 24 Will be in Palm Springs CA November 14-29, 2015
- 25 Seattle to Los Angeles Dec 2015
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara