Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 NYC Play Advice
- 2 Arcadia National Park/ Week in Maine
- 3 We're missing one night's hotel accommodation in Glacier NP
- 4 Boston--Another Art Mission
- 5 Kauai - wow, just WOW!!!
- 6 Frustrated with VRBO owners
- 7 Napa Valley Weekend
- 8 2 weeks to see Grand Canyons, ending in Las Vegas, where to start?
- 9 A Taste of Alaska’s Bounty
- 10 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 11 New York: "It's SOOOOOOOO Touristy"
- 12 UPDATED 10 days in Cali: SD to SF
- 13 Christmas vacation-Maui or Carribean?
- 14 What to do with teenagers in Napa and Mendocino
- 15 CA Trip - include Mammoth Lakes OR Yosemite?
- 16 Drive time from Lynwood to CenturyLink Field
- 17 Vegas-GC-Page-Bryce-Zion-Vegas
- 18 Driving from Missoula to Many Glacier Hotel
- 19 How to break up trip between San Francisco and Laguna Niguel
- 20 Brainstorming - city to visit for disabled young man
- 21 Driving from Seattle to San Deigo
- 22 NYC- LaGuardia to Rye
- 23 Carlsbad Caverns
- 24 Where to Stay in San Francisco for one night
- 25 Boston, Maine, Nantucket/MV, RI,
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara