Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 San Francisco hotel in Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square
- 2 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 3 Yosemite in Winter
- 4 New York (for women turning 50th) 2015
- 5 Quick SoCal question
- 6 Required snow tires & rental cars?
- 7 Business in San diego and then a weeks vacation?
- 8 Tampa in February
- 9 Louisiana Hotel Questions
- 10 Restaurants in Lakeland, FL
- 11 January Jaunt to the Southernmost City ~ Long with Pics!
- 12 NYC LES Restaurant A Casa Fox
- 13 Prince Philip Cruise (Whittier) vs Kenai Fjords (Seward)
- 14 New England September
- 15 NYC taxi vs car service
- 16 San Francisco-renting a car for a day
- 17 Car Rental West Palm Beach
- 18 Group of 10 adults to Hawaii
- 19 Austin Food Trucks
- 20 Weekend road trip from Omaha
- 21 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 22 searching for urban master planned community
- 23 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 24 Condos near Disney World
- 25 family celebration trip