Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Phases Truck and Auto Repair Colorado Springs
- 2 Epic Journey East coast and back
- 3 South Dakota to Bryce Canyon and what to do in between...
- 4 Las Vegas trip report
- 5 Anyone use Hawaiian Airlines?
- 6 Montana, Wyoming ideas including beartooth highway and little big hotn
- 7 Sad News for Maine Lobster Lovers
- 8 Help! 2nd half of trip...From GTNP, 11 days before flying out of Denver.
- 9 10 Day Road Trip in Colorado
- 10 PNC Park ~ convenient hotel?
- 11 road trip from NC to Maine in Sept.
- 12 Road trip from arizona to seattle.
- 13 Trail Ridge Road Will be Closed This Weekend
- 14 Best Time to Travel the West Coast (USA)
- 15 10 Days in Maine
- 16 Amtrak California Zephyr and Yosemite waterfalls
- 17 Big Island - Best Way to See Lava and Waterfalls?
- 18 Boston for a cruise: South end? Downtown?
- 19 sugestions
- 20 Drive from Chicago to Yellowstone and back
- 21 Big Sur and Scenic Hwy 1 in CA.
- 22 Miami for 2 days
- 23 More problems for Big Sur
- 24 Yosemite Trip May 2017
- 25 Saratoga Springs, NY - affordable hotel?
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara