Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 2 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 3 Restaurants in Tucson, Phoenix, Scottsdale, Sedona
- 4 Road trip through southern US states - must-see suggestions?
- 5 Safety Concerns
- 6 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 7 5 days in Colorado
- 8 Sedona for a Month
- 9 Alaska with Tauck on Princess Ship in June
- 10 Alaska -public transport
- 11 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 12 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 13 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 14 New England fall foilage trip planning please
- 15 4 days in wine country. Where should we stay?
- 16 Southwest road trip
- 17 ISO charming NYC hotel for a staycation
- 18 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 19 Hyatt Regency Boston Harbor - how to get to the city?
- 20 Should I go ahed with our Disney World trip over Easter
- 21 Alaska independent tour for group
- 22 Homeless family murdered in Staten Island Motel
- 23 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 24 Moving to DC ( Nova area) Please help me
- 25 Hawaii Volcanoes
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara