Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 http://www.revommerce.com/alpha-force-testo/
- 2 Today it rained…on the road in the PNW
- 3 The Williamsburg Wedding
- 4 which airport when going to Stamford,CT?
- 5 Yellowstone/Grand Tetons (Oct 2016)
- 6 Mass Pike Electronic Tolling starts 10/28
- 7 OHare car service north suburbs
- 8 Yellowstone
- 9 Itinerary suggestion for southern Utah and Arizona
- 10 HELP! Solo road trip - the Deep south - Hints & Tips needed!
- 11 Reasonable accommodations in Wyoming
- 12 Ah, The California Wine Country!
- 13 DCArea GTG April 2017
- 14 California relaxing vacation ideas
- 15 Wine Bars in Hollywood / Fort Lauderdale
- 16 Suggestions for Philadelphia
- 17 Page, AZ area
- 18 Moving to a new state looking for advice
- 19 Guys Ski Trip in Breckenridge
- 20 saint john the divine concert for peace tickets
- 21 Traveling Alone
- 22 Northern California Redwoods
- 23 Seeking adivce- 12 days Oregon only or OR/WA
- 24 Redwoods National Park
- 25 Looking for Panhandle advice
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara