Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Is leaving your puppy for two weeks bad?
- 2 TSA Security Question
- 3 Airbnb and Santa Fe/Where to Stay
- 4 hotel in NYC
- 5 3 day wine detour through the Willamette Valley
- 6 Crab restaurants near Silver Springs MD
- 7 Post-Alaska cruise ideas July, 2018
- 8 train from NYC to Philadelphia
- 9 911 Museum
- 10 yeah or nay grand canyon in dec/jan
- 11 Austin TX restaurants
- 12 Zion, Bryce, South/North Rim, Page
- 13 Denver to Mesa Verde National Park
- 14 Hotel in Austin
- 15 California: San Fran to San Diego
- 16 New York on the Super Cheap, May 2017
- 17 San Diego Marriott Coronado Island or Marriott Marquis downtown?
- 18 HotAirBalloon Festival
- 19 Coors Field Security for Zac Brown
- 20 A week in Ohau - what to do?
- 21 Kaihalulu Beach/Red Sand Beach - Maui, Hawaii
- 22 Utah too much crammed into 9 days, help please
- 23 New/Different in Kennebunkport?
- 24 5 Days near Denver
- 25 Sonoma alley in May
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara