Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Yosemite - importance of staying in park?
- 2 Pacific Grove/Carmel CA area
- 3 Hotel Picks - Kauai
- 4 2 Grannies, 2 parents & 1 three-yr-old
- 5 Avis or Budget from LAX
- 6 Hotel location Albuquerque
- 7 Great Lakes extended road trip
- 8 Saint Lawrence River Seaway
- 9 Driving CA 395
- 10 Maui and Kauai
- 11 50th Anniversary ocean stay with luxuries?
- 12 New England Tour
- 13 Short warm weather family vacation in January or February
- 14 Glacier National Park 2018
- 15 Hawaii wedding
- 16 I-84 Columbia Gorge
- 17 Adirondacks trip repot
- 18 Suggestions for Sedona and Grand Canyon
- 19 Los Angeles Area Restaurants - 2017 Edition
- 20 Looking for areas to live? Commuting to Palo Alto
- 21 Philadelphia Traffic Help
- 22 sf Chinatown restaurant
- 23 Botanical gardens on Maui, Hilo, and Kauai: how much do they differ?
- 24 City of Seattle: What we might miss and the kick ourselves later
- 25 Downtown Denver hotel
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara