Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Turning 30 in March. What shall I do?
- 2 fort lauderdale
- 3 Nashville and Gatlinburg
- 4 Avoiding tunnels driving from Atlanta to Philadelphia
- 5 Best 2 (or 3) Day Drive Between Phoenix & Palm Springs?
- 6 Downtown Chicago
- 7 5 days in Colorado
- 8 Jul, Aug or Sept for California trip, which is preferable and why?
- 9 Boston-Philadelphia: drive, fly, Amtrak?
- 10 Miami/Disney World/Bahamas Cruise w/6yo
- 11 First Trip to Texas -
- 12 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 13 Yellowstone or Yosemite in August?
- 14 Is Fox Rent A Car any good?
- 15 Resort/Hotel near Port Canaveral
- 16 Southwest road trip
- 17 Bronx Help to visit hospital
- 18 Grand Circle Road Trip
- 19 Beaches in Florida
- 20 NYC with 5 kids- SOLO
- 21 Visit to the top of the Statue of Liberty
- 22 2 Day Family Trip to Grand Canyon - RV or Lodge?
- 23 Safety Concerns
- 24 Lodging near Zion National Park
- 25 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara