Working on the details of our 10-year anniversary trip (with no kids!) in September. Planning on spending 3 nights in San Fran, 2 in Monterey/Carmel, 1 near Hearst Castle & 3 in Santa Barbara. Need some help with hotels and was hoping the Fodorites could lend a hand.
My husband and I tend to be on the picky side and are not a big fan of "chain" hotels. Looking for hotels with nice decor and a balcony / deck so we can spend cocktail hour with a view. In the coastal locations it would be a HUGE plus to be able to see boats from our room (husband is a big boat enthusiast). We also usually like to stay somewhere that is within walking distance to dinner/nightlife and we enjoy upscale dinners, "foodie" type meals, wine bars, etc. Would love to stay under the $400 a night range, but am willing to go up to $700 for the perfect place. That said, here are my questions….
1. San Fran -- where do I even start? So many choices.
2. Monterey/Carmel - which town to stay in? Would either offer more boats? Would either offer better dinner options?
3. Santa Barbara - love El Encanto, but seems very out of the way. Looking for a splurge room here as it will be at the end of our stay.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 2 Hwy 1/Big Sur Update
- 3 Big Island of Hawaii - itinerary ideas for 7-10 day trip
- 4 Oregon: Portland, Redwood NP, Crater Lake
- 5 Retiring to Tucson
- 6 Trinity Site, NM
- 7 Santa Fe Itineray
- 8 Favourite San Francisco hotel / New things to see??
- 9 Moab Weekend with Kids
- 10 Visiting Glacier Nat'l Park with 18 mo old.
- 11 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 12 Moving to Dallas - Where to live?
- 13 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 14 Southwest Road Trip in Oct
- 15 Charleston and/or Savannah in 4 days
- 16 Hotel in Reno
- 17 North Carolina airports
- 18 Saturday traffic heading to the Outer Banks
- 19 Boston to Naples florida
- 20 Driving from Miami to Florida Keys - electronic tolls?
- 21 Coastal California trip with toddlers in April
- 22 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 23 best health clubs with lap pools
- 24 10 days vacation in California
- 25 Dallas for the first time. Rent car? Activities?
Help with California Hotels - San Fran, Monterey/Carmel & Santa Barbara