I am planning four days in San Diego for my girlfriend and I. July 17 through July 20. I could use some advice in terms of the best order to do certain things in San Diego, and if I should pass on any, or if I should definitely do something I haven't thought of. I've done the research on the forums and think it's time I posted to get advice!
Background about us: We are really active, do sprint triathlons, love the outdoors, and also love romantic spots and activities and things.
I should also say that I really would like to propose to her on this trip - so please keep that in mind.
Okay, here I go:
We've done a safari in South Africa (during a missions trip) and so I feel I should pass on Wild Animal Park...but maybe it's amazing...lots people on these forums speak highly of it. I thought I'd hear more favorable things about the San Diego Zoo too on these forums, but people aren't gushing about it. Plus, it's summertime and blazing so maybe I should pass because the animals will be lethargic or sleeping.
We obviously have to go view seals at Casa Beach at La Jolla in the early evening/evening. Where exactly should we park for this? Are the tide pools pretty close as well, and can you see cool sealife in them sometimes? I guess I should time things to go after the tides start to recede....
We obviously also have to check out Torrey Pines State Park, and do some cliff-side hiking. Do you recommend a specific hike, or should we just go exploring?
My girlfriend loves lighthouses. We've seen so many, we've spent the night in one, it may be romantic as heck if I propose at the top of a lighthouse during sunset. Do you know of any that we can ascend all the way to the very, very top and be outside behind a railing?
I figure we also should go kayaking - I was thinking about these outfitters: http://www.aqua-adventures.com/tours.html
Have any of you done any of them? Maybe the moonlight coastal paddle from La Jolla to Mission Bay would be super cool? Is there one where we would see more wildlife/sealife than others? Maybe if we go to the Sea Caves, I could propose in there? But maybe there will be other people around and it will be lame to do it there...
Is it worth going to Coronado Island?
I thought about the San Diego Old Town Trolley Tour (http://www.trolleytours.com/san-diego/rates-and-reservations.asp)...thinking we would start early in the day and go until night doing things like seeing the Gaslamp District...but honestly we won't really appreciate the history or the shopping...and maybe we should just drive to the Gaslamp District one evening and have dinner there, and call it good. What might I really miss out at Old Town if I don't go?
I'm also wondering if I should just rent a place through VRBO that is centrally-located...where we can just use as our launching spot for all of our day trips and adventures...or if I should go the hotel route.... I guess I'd like to know what town/area would be ideal to look for a place to stay. I should probably also say that I really don't like driving or traffic in general, and I know it's California, but anything we can do to minimize that would be wonderful!
I'm a little nervous about Comic-Con (which starts on the 20th). That might affect how crowded everything is. But maybe not. I have no clue.
That's all I've got for now. I so appreciate your help, advice, thoughts, and concerns - they'll definitely help me try to make this a really amazing trip for my girlfriend.
Four Days in San Diego for adventuresome couple
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Miami Beach in April with Family
- 2 Moving to the US. But where?
- 3 Planning birthday trip to Big Island & Kauai - advice!
- 4 Here's how I spent my 3 hour layover in Washington, DC
- 5 Ziplines, Zorb, Pancakes, and Parrots
- 6 Key West Dry Tortugas
- 7 One day in Key West,should I take the plane to Dry Tortugas?
- 8 Old City -- Philadelphia -- Cocktails?
- 9 2 ?'s: 1. Places to stay San Diego & LA areas 2. Green juice/organic food
- 10 Affordable parking options: Port of Miami?
- 11 Please update me on moderate priced ocean front hotels southeast Fla.
- 12 San Luis Obispo for a weekend!
- 13 Best stops for road trip from San Fran down the coast, family of 5?
- 14 A month i USA - where to go and for how long?
- 15 JFK to midtown/Times Square (47th & 7th)
- 16 Smoky Mountain Summer
- 17 Denver Itinerary - 3 nights, 4 days
- 18 New Orleans-where to stay and what to see?
- 19 Gem hunting near San Diego
- 20 naples restuarant for anniversary
- 21 NYC play advice needed
- 22 canyon De Chelly or Chaco
- 23 Fredericksburg to see the wildflowers and to sample the wine
- 24 Most affordable Wineries in Northern California near Napa?
- 25 Seattle TrainingTrip March 17, q's