We are taking a six-week road trip which will include DC to Asheville (Biltmore) and then to the Outer Banks. On the first leg, if we stick to the interstates (66 and 81) it will take about 8 hours. We are planning to spend the night in Asheville, take our Biltmore tour all of the next day, then spend that night in Asheville also. When we leave the following day, we are headed to OB. The question is: which section of the Parkway do we want to see? Years ago, I drove a part of it in NC and I remember I loved the windy roads and the tunnels. But if we drive WEST from Asheville that day, it will be a rather circuitous route to get us east again towards the Outer Banks. I know we would then need an extra day en route. Then again, if we take BRP from its northernmost point, while we are southbound toward Asheville, we would have to spend another night BEFORE we get to Asheville, in which case we would forego the BRP the day AFTER the Biltmore. We want to take our time, have a picnic, hike some of the trails, and enjoy the view. Driving the Parkway is a treat, not a race. THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Queens, NY - Do not go
- 2 Boston, NYC or Chicago for 3rd weekend in March?
- 3 Charleston/Savannah/Asheville, 6 days enough?
- 4 Tipping advice
- 5 3 weeks in USA in February -- refined itinerary
- 6 Maui - Need a Vegan-Friendly Restaurant Recommendation
- 7 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 8 Hawaii Rental Cars - Book early
- 9 Fort Myers Beach vs Naples Beach
- 10 Key West Hotel in January
- 11 Seattle hotel recommendation needed
- 12 los angeles restaurants
- 13 West Maui Restaurants
- 14 2 or 3 nights in Hana
- 15 Denver Airport to Downtown Sheraton--Transportation Options?
- 16 Hawaii or Rio for male single traveler
- 17 7 things to do under $21 in Las Vegas
- 18 Avis Car rental Loss Damage Waiver LDW Fraud
- 19 Cheapest, best to get from San Fran Airport to Hotel in Fina. District?
- 20 Boston to Ohio, with visits to FDR Home and Fallingwater
- 21 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 22 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 23 San Diego Little Italy
- 24 Lake Rabun Hotel
- 25 Healdsburg tips