We are taking a six-week road trip which will include DC to Asheville (Biltmore) and then to the Outer Banks. On the first leg, if we stick to the interstates (66 and 81) it will take about 8 hours. We are planning to spend the night in Asheville, take our Biltmore tour all of the next day, then spend that night in Asheville also. When we leave the following day, we are headed to OB. The question is: which section of the Parkway do we want to see? Years ago, I drove a part of it in NC and I remember I loved the windy roads and the tunnels. But if we drive WEST from Asheville that day, it will be a rather circuitous route to get us east again towards the Outer Banks. I know we would then need an extra day en route. Then again, if we take BRP from its northernmost point, while we are southbound toward Asheville, we would have to spend another night BEFORE we get to Asheville, in which case we would forego the BRP the day AFTER the Biltmore. We want to take our time, have a picnic, hike some of the trails, and enjoy the view. Driving the Parkway is a treat, not a race. THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME!!!
Driving the BRP.....Virginia or North Carolina?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 2 Looking for Next Destination
- 3 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 4 Dressing up for theatre in new york
- 5 Travel between Maui and Big Island
- 6 St. Simon, Georgia
- 7 Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP 8 day trip Itinerary
- 8 Moving to New Jersey
- 9 Dec / Jan in the USA- advice
- 10 Trip Report - New York & Washington DC – May 30 – June 4, 2014
- 11 Need Minnesota leaf color reports
- 12 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 13 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 14 West Coast Road Trip
- 15 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 16 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 17 California
- 18 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 19 4 day trip from Denver this fall - First time in the Rockies - Where to go?
- 20 Maui itinerary
- 21 Door County with a Dog - trip in progress
- 22 Car Needed in Austin?
- 23 Provincetown: Parking in City Lots and Restaurant Recommendations
- 24 New Orleans Weekend
- 25 Albuquerque to Vegas drive and sights