Meeting Street Inn; 173 Meeting Street
(843) 723-1882 or (800) 842-8022
AARP discount rates
Really enjoyed this hotel! Great location in the heart of the historic district; across from The Market; easy walking distance to everything; breakfasts varied a little each day; ice water, ice tea and coffee available in lobby all day; wine and cheese in the lobby from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. daily! Very helpful staff and “spot-on” recommendations for nearby restaurants.
Toast – 155 Meeting Street (843) 534-0043
Poogan’s Porch – 72 Queen Street (843) 577-2337; res’v recommended
Hominy Grill – 207 Rutledge @ Cannon (843) 937-0930
Il Cortile Del Re – 193 King Street (843) 853-1888
South End Brewery – 161 East Bay Street (843) 853-4677
Vickery’s (Mt. Pleasant) – 1313 Shrimp Boat Lane, Mt. Pleasant (843) 884-4440
Harris Teeter (picnic lunches) – 290 East Bay Street (843) 722-6821
Ladles Soups - 3125 Bees Ferry Road (great when visiting the plantations)
Palmetto Carriage (big red barn) – 8 Guignard Street; (843) 723-8145 (~1 block off N. Market)
Charleston Footprints Walking Tour - (843) 478-4718; (Michael Trouche); res’v required
Fort Sumter Tours www.fortsumtertours.com - (843) 881-7337; board @ Liberty Square @ Aquarium Wharf
Aiken-Rhett – 48 Elizabeth St.; still looks as it did in 1858; loved this house; they have not restored it, but left it as it was; can still see some wallpaper on the walls.
Edmonton-Alston House – 21 E. Battery; wasn’t particularly impressed with this house, but for no particular reason (may have been the tour guide)
Nathaniel Russell (“free flying” staircase) – 51 Meeting St.; loved this house; the woodwork was really nice.
Heyward-Washington House – 87 Church St.; rather unremarkable.
Boone Hall Plantation – 1235 Long Point Rd., Mt. Pleasant (9 miles N of Charleston); loved this plantation; beautiful drive with the “Avenue of Oaks,” huge old moss-draped trees planted in 1743; slave homes still intact; very good docents.
Caveat: DO NOT USE this shuttle service for the following three plantations (Drayton, Magnolia & Middleton). Very unreliable (from reviews and hotel staff), www.thecharlestonchauffeurcompany.com $20/pp. We found it less expensive to rent a car for the day from Enterprise and more convenient because we could move from plantation to plantation at our leisure; Enterprise picked us up at our hotel; cost was ~$30 for the day and discounted ~5% because of their deal with our hotel;
Enterprise Rent-A-Car, 398 Meeting Street, (843) 723-6215.
Drayton Hall (one of oldest surviving plantations) – Old Ashley River Rd. (SC 61); loved this house. The historic society has not restored it, but has left it as it was.
Middleton – Old Ashley River Rd. (SC 61); loved this plantation; enjoyed walking the grounds and talking with the blacksmith; was a bit disappointed in that the main house was destroyed and the home tour is actually of one of the “flanker” buildings; however, it was still very nice; has café on the grounds for lunch, but we did not eat there.
Charleston Museum – 360 Meeting St.; large, well worth a visit; we only had about an hour, but thoroughly enjoyed their displays on life in Charleston.
Charleston, SC Trip Report (short)
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Parking and Neighborhood for Miami-Dade County Auditorium
- 2 Orlando in February
- 3 middlebury vt snow
- 4 4 Nights in LA: What does our itinerary say about where we should stay?
- 5 Travel from Seattle WA to Oceanside CA
- 6 ski trip: utah or colorado
- 7 Los Angeles day trips
- 8 17 day photo trip report - upstate New York
- 9 Seattle in July: Warwick or Maxwell hotel
- 10 Mt. Hood or Columbia Gorge for family reunion?
- 11 Fall trip, best location to stay in Vermont. Need help please.
- 12 Orlando hotels
- 13 Seeking advice for Glacier National Park
- 14 Sunday morning in southern Florida
- 15 Hop On Hop Off Bus Atlanta
- 16 Photos from Texas Christmas Road Trip
- 17 Driving to Daytona Beach from New Jersey
- 18 Route 50 between Virginia and Missouri--Scenic?
- 19 Atlantic coast and mountain vacation
- 20 One Way Car Rentals- LAS to SFO- without drop off charges-What to check-
- 21 New Hawaii countdown for 2014-15
- 22 California (San Francisco, Napa,Carmel/Monterey,Santa Barbara,San Diego)
- 23 Ideas for a family on a roadtrip around Denver and Utah
- 24 Clearwater FL area
- 25 Rapid City to Yellowstone Route