Hello Fodorites --
My DH and I would like to have a quiet Thanksgiving on our own this year and are thinking of escaping to Cape Cod for the long weekend. The last time he was there he was a child, and for me it was in the late 1990s. We're both in our early 40s, very active and usually spend the holiday visiting family but this year we just need a rest and need to be alone.
We would like to stay in a B&B or an inn where we can sit and read or have a drink or do the crossword puzzle -- nothing super fancy and definitely nothing very Victorian/frou-frou, but a fireplace would be amazing. We'd also like to walk around a town that's mostly open during the holiday weekend, get a burger and a beer, hunt through an antique store or two, and go wandering on a beach. We're not looking for a Thanksgiving meal -- as much as we want to be alone, we will probably stop on the way up from NYC at DH's brother's family outside of Boston for Thanksgiving lunch before heading out to the Cape in the late afternoon.
One, in the late 1980s, I visited Chatham and it seemed lovely. I like the idea that it's at the "elbow" and we could do day trips up and down. Would that be a good choice for the holiday weekend?
As for budget, up to $200 a night (for the 3 nights of the holiday weekend) is our top price.
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Glacier National Park in September
- 2 Last minute trip to Boston w/ kids and car
- 3 Restaurant Recs for Minneapolis
- 4 Visiting Oregon - Portland to Crater Lake
- 5 How many days for Martha's Vineyard? And Cape Cod in general
- 6 Theatre, music outside on a summer night in NYC?
- 7 3 week road trip South Carolina and Georgia
- 8 Depot Bay OR
- 9 World's Longest Yard Sale - don't go!
- 10 Rocky Mountaineer added to Cruise
- 11 San Francisco through Colorado Rockies
- 12 trip to Charlettesville VA
- 13 Suggestion on agenda for SF to Seattle
- 14 Recommendation: Beachfront in VA or MD walking distance to quaint downtown
- 15 New Software
- 16 Yellowstone and Tetons in July 2016
- 17 Attending a wedding on Nantucket !
- 18 Road trip: Boston to Salt Lake City
- 19 Los Angeles Indefinitely
- 20 Rough (very) initial USA itinerary
- 21 Helpp JKF to lyndhurst NJ
- 22 Want to relocate out of Houston and maybe Texas. To NC or TN
- 23 Trip Report 2012 : 11 wonderful days in Alaska
- 24 Thinking of moving FROM Pittsburgh TO Seattle
- 25 Aussie family heading to the US for the first time
Hello Fodorites --