Hello Fodorites --
My DH and I would like to have a quiet Thanksgiving on our own this year and are thinking of escaping to Cape Cod for the long weekend. The last time he was there he was a child, and for me it was in the late 1990s. We're both in our early 40s, very active and usually spend the holiday visiting family but this year we just need a rest and need to be alone.
We would like to stay in a B&B or an inn where we can sit and read or have a drink or do the crossword puzzle -- nothing super fancy and definitely nothing very Victorian/frou-frou, but a fireplace would be amazing. We'd also like to walk around a town that's mostly open during the holiday weekend, get a burger and a beer, hunt through an antique store or two, and go wandering on a beach. We're not looking for a Thanksgiving meal -- as much as we want to be alone, we will probably stop on the way up from NYC at DH's brother's family outside of Boston for Thanksgiving lunch before heading out to the Cape in the late afternoon.
One, in the late 1980s, I visited Chatham and it seemed lovely. I like the idea that it's at the "elbow" and we could do day trips up and down. Would that be a good choice for the holiday weekend?
As for budget, up to $200 a night (for the 3 nights of the holiday weekend) is our top price.
Thanks for any advice.
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 1st Visit to USA with kids in Jul-Aug, SFO,LA,SD & LAS - 21 days. Need Help
- 2 Discounted Rental Car?
- 3 Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle - need a passport?
- 4 Inexpensive family getaways
- 5 Advice Road trip 15 days California Grand Canyon
- 6 2-day pass through trip in Glacier & Waterton National Park
- 7 Best City/Place to stopover between Seattle & San Francisco
- 8 Cape Cod in September with toddler
- 9 Last minute: late lunch near Neue Gallerie?
- 10 Plymouth or Cape Code/NEED help
- 11 New York best app
- 12 San Francisco to Monterey Bay Time?
- 13 Colorado Winter Wedding Venue
- 14 A day at Franconia Notch State Park and White Mountain National Forest
- 15 San Francisco to Indianapolis road trip with young kids
- 16 Rocky Mountain National Park early June
- 17 Hawaii Cruise
- 18 Help Flying to Portland, Maine
- 19 Seattle, Portand, Hood River with kids- short notice
- 20 kauai
- 21 new england - a deer, a moose and a black bear too
- 22 San Fran & Napa 5/20/2016 - 5/25/2016
- 23 Which Island for a 3 week base over Christmas New Year?
- 24 First time to Alaska
- 25 Hawaii - where?
Hello Fodorites --