I'm currently planning a 3-ish week road trip around the west coast of USA for me and my bf and I would really appreciate any advice you can offer! We plan to go in May next year (2015), hopefully when it's not too hot?
On our road trip we want to visit the main cities and national parks, with enough time for some site seeing and hiking along the way. So far I've come up with a rough plan as follows -
Day 1: Arrive in LA
Day 2: LA
Day 3: Six Flags Theme Park
Day 4: Drive to San Diego
Day 5: San Diego
Day 6: San Diego
Day 7: Drive to Las Vegas
Day 8: Las Vegas
Day 9: Drive to Grand Canyon
Day 10: Grand Canyon
Day 11: Drive to Bryce Canyon
Day 12: Drive to Zion National Park
Day 13: Zion National Park
Day 14: Zion National Park
Day 15: Drive to Lone Pine via Death Valley
Day 16: Drive to Yosemite
Day 17: Yosemite
Day 18: Yosemite
Day 19: Drive to San Francisco
Day 20: San Francisco
Day 21: San Francisco
Day 22: Drive to LA
Day 23: Fly Home
It's not ideal having to drive back to LA at the end, but I think cost of flight/car rental wise it's a good option. Do you think I've tried to fit too much in? Is Monument Valley worth a look or is it too far out of the way? Any must see recommendations?
Thanks for your help!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon out west.
- 2 SD card usage in multiple devices and formatting
- 3 Travel options between Las Vegas and Grand Canyon South Rim
- 4 Where to watch Oscars in Palm Springs
- 5 Carmel Monterey
- 6 How many states have you been to?
- 7 USA, Trip to the south
- 8 Quick Trip to D.C. In April
- 9 Big Sure in June
- 10 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 11 Santa Fe Itineray
- 12 Hotel Valencia, San Antonio RiverWalk
- 13 Rental car or RV for road trip from San Francisco via Las Vegas to Denver
- 14 Bar Harbor to Boston
- 15 Roadtrip July 2017
- 16 Amtrack: Denver to California?
- 17 Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton - Car Rental?
- 18 Yellowstone, Itinerary before
- 19 Where to stay 3 nights to see Yosemite from Death Valley?
- 20 Retiring to Tucson
- 21 Total Eclipse of the Sun visible in USA - plan ahead for August 21, 2017
- 22 SF special dinner for 70 birthday
- 23 Alaska Trip Planning Please Help
- 24 Northwest National Parks Tour
- 25 Arches Devils Garden