I am planning a trip for September 2014 for 2 weeks, we are a French couple in our 40's. we would like to mix our holidays with some hiking and then some rest /visiting the southern coast of California. We know pretty well Northern California. In France we are based in the French Alps.
I have a main itinerary in mind but would appreciate few pointers to adjust the logistic/itinerary.
First week we would like to concentrate our visit to Zion Park & Bryce, couple of days each to have a fair amount of time for hiking.
Then we would like to drive off from Las Vegas -> Palm springs -> Los Angeles
So first question : I was wondering if I should take a flight from Paris to Las Vegas or Salt lake city ?
Looking at the map if I we start off from Las vegas, we would drive up to Zion and Bryce and go back down by more or less the same route. Would it be more interesting to land in Salt lake and drive down to Zion, Bryce and then to Las vegas etc ...
Secondly : From Las Vegas to Palm Springs which route would you recommend and how much time would you suggest to stay in Palm Springs ?
Thirdly : Once in the L.A region we would like to avoid checking In&out of hotels constantly so which city would be best to use as a base ? We would like to visit the coast up to Santa Barbara and then down to San Diego.
Are we trying to fit too many things or drive too much over two weeks ? I do not want to be rushed.
As for our flight out, what would make more sense, flying out from Los Angeles or San Diego ?
Many thanks in advance for your ideas !
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 2 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 3 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 4 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 5 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 6 Staying outside DC
- 7 7 Day Photography Road trip from Vegas to Denver during Christmas
- 8 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 9 Dallas, Austin, Waco in February
- 10 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 11 Hurricane Matthew damage along Florida East Coast?
- 12 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 13 New Years In Asheville with Nature and Beer on the side!
- 14 Ideas for New York
- 15 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 16 Going to L.A. dec18-25; Road trip to D.V. and on rt66
- 17 Christmas shopping in Sante Fe
- 18 9 days in Olympic NP and Seattle area
- 19 Road trip
- 20 What's your favorite "after theatre" place to eat in NYC??
- 21 Driving from Providence to Ohio in an '82 Volvo with a cat, but...
- 22 Getting married to a French man
- 23 3-week one-way cross country trip in June
- 24 Florida beach recommendation, please
- 25 Maine-Portland/Bar Harbor/Moosehead Lake