Posted a question for a similar trip a couple of weeks ago, but since, our trip has changed completely, so I though would be better to star a new topic.
We will be renting an RV in Susex New Jersey and spending 12 days Rving through Ontario-VT-NH and MA.
We are a family four; wife, 2 boys ( 12 & 7) and myself.
Our main goals is to enjoy time as a family while exploring new interesting places and just seeing some of the highlights along the way.
We like exploring the outdoors, mountain and trail hiking, knowing historical and interesting places, driving through scenic routes, typical old/quaint towns, experiencing outdoor adventure activities like white water rafting or canopy , etc.
Our loop looks as follows:
Day 1: Full day easy drive from Sussex NJ to Buffalo NY , driving through Ithaca (Finger Lakes) starting early morning and stopping over as necessary. Will spend the night at Branches of Niagara Campground (between Buffalo and Niagara Falls)
Day 2: Full day at Niagara Falls leaving late afternoon towards Toronto to spend the night at Indian Line Campground
Day 3: Full day at Wonderland amusement park.
Day 4: Take public transportation to visit a couple of Toronto's highlights leaving at night towards Kingston. We'll spend the night at Landon Bay or KOA Campground near Gananoque
Day 5: Take the early morning Gananoque cruise to visit Thousand Islands and then continue driving along lake ontario towards Montreal. Arrive into Camping Alouette to spend the next 2 nights there
Day 6: Take public transportation to see main couple of highlights in Montreal.
Day 7: Start Driving south in the morning into Vermont (do not have specific destinations yet, maybe Ben&Jerrys factory and Cabot creamery along some quaint towns or villages)
Day 8: Lincoln, New Hampshire (Alpine Adventures for Zipline Canopy Tour) and then drive the Kancamagus Scenic Byway.
Day 9: New Hampshire - White mountains ( do not have specifics things to do yet)
Day 10: Drive towards Plymouth Massachusetts ( do not have specifics things to do yet)
Day 11: Continue to Newport and then to Mystic
Day 12: Drive to Sussex returning RV by Noon
This loop is about 1500 to 1600 miles, which it may seems like too much driving. But at the end of the day, it is a "road trip". We like this kind of trip and have done similar milage 2 years in a row in different parts of the country.
Would appreciate your recommendation on:
- nicest routes to take, or which to avoid.
- places to visit, not to miss towns or sites
- not to miss activities, ( family fun and enjoyable places and activities in those areas)
Specially for the last 5/6 days from Montreal back to Sussex ( VT-NH-MA )
All inputs will be greatly appreciated and very helpful to put together this road trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Honeymoon on PCH
- 2 Best/Cheapest way to get to Copper Mtn, CO?
- 3 Suggestions for a Week in Portland
- 4 2 Nights Dealth Valley from L.A.
- 5 Lodging outside of Yellowstone
- 6 So if you had one night in SF, where would you eat?
- 7 Best Kids' Skiing <3 hours from Chicago?
- 8 Help us choose a hotel
- 9 "Unique" New York City Experiences-Yours
- 10 Family trip - West Coast - Summer 2017
- 11 Road trip from Madison, WI to Portland, OR in April, 2017
- 12 My quickie roadtrip to Philly - art, photos, food, and some good karma.
- 13 Grand Canyon / Bryce / Zion in August with Teens
- 14 Staying outside DC
- 15 Bringing alcohol into the US
- 16 Santa Fe & Taos for Christmas week: feedback on itinerary?
- 17 Seafood restaurant in San Francisco - recommendations
- 18 Ideas for New York
- 19 Bringin Wine in by car from Mexico
- 20 Oahu Dec 17th -22nd 2016
- 21 Hollywood Area where to stay
- 22 Kauai for a group over New Years
- 23 Three relaxing weeks in Palm Springs
- 24 CAJUN region, plus NEW ORLEANS
- 25 Where to stay in maui Kihei vs Paia vs Wailea vs Lahaina, Kaanapali