My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Has anyone dealt with Truffle Pig out of Canada to plan a trip??
- 2 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 3 Where to holiday in April? All Inclusive Getaway with guaranteed sunshine!?
- 4 Finding a House Sitter.
- 5 Road Scholar
- 6 First Solo Trip -- Mid 20's Female --Where to go???
- 7 BEWARE of Grand Circle Travel SCAMS!!!
- 8 Economy Class Seat: Bulkhead Row? (Boeing 777)
- 9 Driving from New York to South Florida and staying over 1 night
- 10 Checklist: What to Do Before You Go
- 11 Your Best Travel Tips
- 12 Useful travel apps
- 13 I need people to do a road trip to USA
- 14 LADIES: FAVORITE UNDER SEAT PERSONAL BAG AND WHAT TO PACK IN IT?
- 15 Base city in England
- 16 Suggestions please
- 17 Credit Card FF Program Retention/Waive Fee
- 18 What's your experience with groupon.com?
- 19 vow renewal
- 20 what size suitcase holds 40 pounds?
- 21 Spain and Morocco in 2 weeks
- 22 Solo Woman traveller ! Yes you TOO can make it.
- 23 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 24 Travel Agent: what to do if their cost is more than your research?
- 25 Do you know Torquay hotel in UK