My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Where would you go if you were us?
- 2 Help? Where to go with an 18 year old boy?
- 3 Discounted luggage websites
- 4 A Killer Whale Spectacle in Nice
- 5 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 6 Air B&B
- 7 Online Visas
- 8 Traveling with a smartphone
- 9 Anniversary trip
- 10 Learning vacations
- 11 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 12 Crossing Borders
- 13 Need Help: Winter US/Carrib Vacation Ideas
- 14 RDIF Security Bags/Wallets
- 15 Traveling long haul for the first time
- 16 Light weight Luggage
- 17 Carry-on Luggage
- 18 Which place would you like to travel ?
- 19 Transferring on an international flight
- 20 Accessing online banking while in Europe
- 21 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 22 AutoSlash and Hotel Tonight - Your Reviews
- 23 Thanksgiving week trip
- 24 Is there a company or website that compares SIM cards?
- 25 Around the World Ticket/Trips