My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 New Super Mario Run Update To Add Daisy, New Mode And World
- 2 Cautionary tale about ATM use
- 3 Why Access to Services at Home should not affect your next trip
- 4 Where to go...April of 2018
- 5 California Zepher
- 6 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 7 Babymoon w/ toddler Fall Ideas (Zika)
- 8 6 day 5 night Honeymoon from US
- 9 Honeymoon ideas STAT
- 10 Looking for travel filmmakers to collaborate and travel together!
- 11 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 12 Airport robbery
- 13 Usefulness of a travel agent ?
- 14 New York City - Suite/Hotel
- 15 California Zepher (train)
- 16 Renewing a child's passport in 24 hours
- 17 Need Amalfi planning help
- 18 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 19 Travel towel?
- 20 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 21 Trip from Lecce, Italy to Pescara, Abruzzo.
- 22 suggestions to travel the world for 450 Days
- 23 Early November Vacation Thoughts?
- 24 Nova Scotia & Cabot Trail
- 25 Road trip stops
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?