My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 New Traveller
- 2 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 3 Terrified traveller
- 4 Early trip planning
- 5 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 6 First time travelling outside the USA
- 7 First time traveler
- 8 Camera recommendations for wildlife photography
- 9 Help Selecting Destination for 40 Birthday Group Trip
- 10 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 11 Accommodation San Sebastian
- 12 Tips on itinerary for 2 weeks in Puerto Rico
- 13 Traveling to NW Italy (Aosta)
- 14 SIXT car rental in US
- 15 Chef for Turks and Caicos
- 16 3 weeks in Siena Italy
- 17 April - Crete v Canaries? & Pregnant!
- 18 Visit to usa
- 19 insect repellent bracelets
- 20 Top travel destinations 2017
- 21 Your Favorite Rain coat?
- 22 Best place in March to travel with kids
- 23 Tour company or DIY?
- 24 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
- 25 Itinerary Help! CDG Round Trip in 10 days
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?