My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 POGO Password Recovery CONTACT ☎ 1:800:681:7208 Technical SUPP0RT 24*7
- 2 Luggage Set - hardshell or softshell?
- 3 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 4 replace my Nikon d90 by rx100 ?
- 5 Traveling Solo with 9 month old
- 6 super fun vacations...
- 7 International Wire/Bank Transfer to Guide Using Third-Party Service?
- 8 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 9 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 10 garment travel organizer
- 11 Which type of car ?
- 12 travel partners
- 13 Best bag type for 3 months in Europe - duffel, rolling, or backpack?
- 14 Best kids friendly Island to visit in August
- 15 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 16 Trip to Thailand vs Greece vs Peru?
- 17 to travel or settle down?
- 18 THe case for linen
- 19 CAPITAL ONE CARD: NOT FUNNY
- 20 San Diego to San Francisco in 6 days
- 21 Honeymoon info
- 22 Great Saint Bernard Pass / Lake Geneva / Northern Italy
- 23 To drive or fly on an unplanned trip?
- 24 best travel app (android or Apple)
- 25 Newbie Using Whats App
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?