My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?
- 1 Technology tips, and travel
- 2 Your Best Travel Tips
- 3 Luggage Tags
- 4 Air pollution while in India
- 5 Advice, thoughts on living in Male, Maldives
- 6 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 7 Christmas break vacation destination ideas?
- 8 Where to go on Christmas?
- 9 2016 honeymoon! Need advice!
- 10 How is the United Lounge at LAX?
- 11 Which Travel Bag
- 12 Is going to Cape Town for holiday really worth it?
- 13 Suggestions for Spain & Portugal
- 14 Tell Us Your Favorite Travel Experiences
- 15 Ideas for 3-generation family vacation
- 16 europe In January
- 17 First Time Solo from Singapore
- 18 Driving from Geneva to Milan in February
- 19 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - Honeymoon
- 20 French Visa Appointment at NYC Consulate
- 21 Honeymoon: fiancee not as adventurous. Need ideas. HELP!
- 22 9-10 day trip to Southern Spain in February
- 23 Holiday Travel Plans
- 24 Looking for reviews of Great Value Vacations
- 25 Purchasing a flight with someone else's frequent flyer points