My husband and I just got back from 3 weeks in Namibia and South Africa. We loved the trip, but it did cost quite a bit of money (and we did a self-drive in off-season!). That got us thinking- is there anywhere left in the world to travel that isn't overly commercialized (like I find Thailand to be), that retains its original authenticity/charm and isn't extremely expensive to travel within, once you get there (which means the infrastructure is decent-ish.) We aren't keen on tours, but would consider one if felt authentic and unique. I have been told Burma is beautiful, doesn't have to be expensive and you can get places up and down the river on different budgets, on one's own. Same for India, although I am not sure how "untouched" that would be? I have also heard Mongolia (although it seems Iogistically difficult to get around, unless on a tour group-although maybe one can hire a guide? but the idea is not to spend an arm and leg). Just thought I would reach out and see if anyone had other ideas?
We are in our 30's, live in NYC and have been to Peru, Bolivia, Argentina, Chile, all over the caribbean, all over Europe, Egypt, S.A. and Namibia, Israel, Tokyo, Bali, Thailand in the south, Hong Kong, to name a few places. I wouldn't consider any of these really untouched though. Just wondering what other fodorites out there think!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 First solo trip, where should I visit?
- 2 A problem with booking.com
- 3 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 4 Best time to purchase ticket on British Air
- 5 Wheeled duffle options
- 6 Grad trip: African Safari vs. Europe
- 7 Fodor's: Please Stop with the Obnoxious Ads
- 8 Newbie Using Whats App
- 9 TripIt App?
- 10 Watch Out! There are VRBO.com Fees!
- 11 Best way to find new things to do in new city/country?
- 12 Money transfer
- 13 Itinerary Planning Apps
- 14 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 15 In search of international vacation ideas with toddler from NYC
- 16 Passport signature
- 17 Need advice! First time to Ireland, 10 day itinerary set
- 18 Switzerland-Paris10 days trip...queries
- 19 St. Louis MO to Yellowstone
- 20 Do you get your expired passport back?
- 21 May or June trip ideas with 2 adult children
- 22 Outdoorsy but with shopping
- 23 Travel ideas near spring break?
- 24 VANCOUVER/ SEATTLE ROAD TRIP
- 25 Barcelona in 4 nights - tips and recommendations needed
Where in the world to travel that is "untouched-ish" and still cheap?