My husband and I are Europe-fanatics who did a lot of travelling before settling down and having a baby 11 months ago. I just booked frequent flyer tickets for a trip to BA from Nov 28 - Dec 6. Our favorite city is Paris, and we would have loved to go there again, but our baby already has a pretty unusual schedule (goes to bed at midnight or later... sleeps until 11-noon... same schedule as me, so it works for us) and I feared jetlag would be too rough on him for a trip of only 1 week's length. BA is in our same time zone. So we figured, why not go to the Paris of South America? A whole new continent for us, and at a nice time of year. We would be travelling First Class from Chicago through Miami and onward to BA (again, thank you FF program - could never afford 1st class tix without it!). So our son will have a bed onboard and more space to walk around a bit. We will of course do everything in our power to not let him disturb other passengers. He's typically a happy baby who doesn't fuss much.
Anyway, so: Are we crazy to bring our son, who will be 14 months old at that time, to BA? I honestly don't know *that* much about Buenos Aires or what there is to do there, but I love good food, good wine, big cities (beach vacations are NOT for us), and tango. What do parents do for diaper changing when they're out and about for the day? Are there parks or playgrounds in Recoleta (we'll be renting an apt there)? An especially big concern is about taking him out to dinner every night. He stays up so late that he won't have a problem with us going to dinner, but do most restaurants accept babies? What about the nicer ones? Do I chain the stroller outside or can I push him up close to the table in it? Do some car services offer car seats when you arrange a driver from/to the airport? I'm obviously feeling a little overwhelmed and having slight "buyer's remorse" over getting the tickets. Not because it's Buenos Aires but because it's ANYWHERE international. I could have the airline redeposit the miles for a fee, but I don't want to do that unless you guys tell me I probably should hold off on a trip like this until he's older.
Other random things: we took him to NYC and it went fine. We will bring a lightweight but high-quality umbrella stroller. He eats pretty much what we eat now. No need for baby food or formula. We don't speak Spanish, but I know some Italian and French so I can probably muddle through a little + I will learn as many basic phrases as I can between now and then.
I would be SO grateful for any help and encouragement!
Taking my 1 year old to Buenos Aires - Crazy?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 2 Speak to me of Peru
- 3 Back to South America
- 4 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 5 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 6 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 7 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 9 Fire in Valparaiso
- 10 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 11 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 12 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 13 Ecuador - should we go?
- 14 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 15 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 16 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 17 Driving in Ecuador
- 18 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 19 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 20 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 21 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 22 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 23 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 24 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 25 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra