My husband and I will be visiting Peru in about 2 weeks. We will be starting at Cuzco, making our way through the Sacred Valley, visiting Machu Picchu and then we are taking the Inka Express to Puno. We pretty much have everything ready - hotels booked, train tickets, bus reserved and a guide for 2 days while we are in the Sacred Valley. However, I have some questions about our time in Puno & Lake Titicaca. We arrive by bus around 4/5 pm. As of now, we are checking in to Hotel Intiqa that night and taking a full-day tour of Lake Titicaca, the Uros and Taquile Island the next day. We will be resting in the same hotel in Puno and flying to Lima the following morning.
We would really love to stay on Taquile Island with a family. Our questions are: Should we sleep on Taquile Island the very same night we arrive to Puno? Are there boats available to take us to Taquile Island after we arrive at 4/5pm to Puno? Is it worth it? Our other option would be sleeping in the hotel our first night and on the island our second night. BUT, our flight to Lima leaves at 11:15 in the morning from Juliaca. Will we have enough time to make it to the airport if we wake up on the island that morning?
It feels a little complicated for us to do this. However, we will probably only visit Puno this one time and we want to make the most out of it. We don't want to have any regrets or feel like we "should have" done something. PLEASE HELP!
Also, is it best to reserve the full-day tour of the islands in advance or when we arrive? Is it best to travel in a tradional boat for the experience, or by speed boat to make the most of the day? Thanks
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 2 Choquequirao Questions
- 3 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 4 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 5 MARCHU PICCHU
- 6 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 7 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 8 One week in Cartagena?
- 9 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 10 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 11 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 12 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 13 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 14 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 15 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 16 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!
- 17 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 18 Iquitos Peru and rain forest
- 19 Help w 2nd Guessing Peru itinerary
- 20 Senior Citizens traveling to Machu Picchu
- 21 2 week Peru trip itinerary - Appreciate feedback
- 22 Rainbow mountain trek
- 23 Advice about Inti Raymi in Ecuador this year
- 24 salkantay trek
- 25 Northwest Argentina - Specific Itinerary Questions
Puno, Lake Titicaca & Islands/Sleep on island with family?