My husband and I will be visiting Peru in about 2 weeks. We will be starting at Cuzco, making our way through the Sacred Valley, visiting Machu Picchu and then we are taking the Inka Express to Puno. We pretty much have everything ready - hotels booked, train tickets, bus reserved and a guide for 2 days while we are in the Sacred Valley. However, I have some questions about our time in Puno & Lake Titicaca. We arrive by bus around 4/5 pm. As of now, we are checking in to Hotel Intiqa that night and taking a full-day tour of Lake Titicaca, the Uros and Taquile Island the next day. We will be resting in the same hotel in Puno and flying to Lima the following morning.
We would really love to stay on Taquile Island with a family. Our questions are: Should we sleep on Taquile Island the very same night we arrive to Puno? Are there boats available to take us to Taquile Island after we arrive at 4/5pm to Puno? Is it worth it? Our other option would be sleeping in the hotel our first night and on the island our second night. BUT, our flight to Lima leaves at 11:15 in the morning from Juliaca. Will we have enough time to make it to the airport if we wake up on the island that morning?
It feels a little complicated for us to do this. However, we will probably only visit Puno this one time and we want to make the most out of it. We don't want to have any regrets or feel like we "should have" done something. PLEASE HELP!
Also, is it best to reserve the full-day tour of the islands in advance or when we arrive? Is it best to travel in a tradional boat for the experience, or by speed boat to make the most of the day? Thanks
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Proposed Argentina trip for Feb '18 - looking for advice?
- 2 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide
- 3 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 4 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 5 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 6 Argentina vs Chile
- 7 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 8 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 9 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 10 Avianca business class
- 11 Planning Argentina Trip
- 12 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 13 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 14 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 15 Feria de las flores
- 16 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 17 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 18 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 19 comments
- 20 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 21 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 22 Huacachina, Peru
- 23 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 24 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 25 Pantanal Lodges
Puno, Lake Titicaca & Islands/Sleep on island with family?