A brief trip report.
My wife and our two teenagers went to Colombia for 10 days at the end of August. We flew on Copa and paid around $550 round trip, including a trip from Bogota to Cartegena and back.
We stayed in Bogota with relatives, so I can't report on hotels, taxis and stuff. We liked Leo, a nice restaurant near the museum of modern art (I think) and Andres, a favorite with Colombians located about 1/2 hour outside of Bogota. I liked riding a bike from about 93rd and Septima downtown on Sunday morning (when streets are closed to cars) to the Plaza Bolivar.
In Cartegena we stayed at the Hotel Agua, Isla Rosario, and the Hilton. Hotel Agua is in the old town and has a nice rooftop pool. Old town is wonderful for wandering and watching. The Santa Clara library bar is a great place for a mojito. Isla Rosario is an island about 45 minutes by boat from Cartegena. You can go for the day or overnight. We stayed the night, went snorkeling and paid too much for necklaces. But it was fun, sorta like a mini vacation at Jakes in Jamaica (but not quite as chic). Then we came back to the Hilton where you could play volleyball in the pool, get a massage on the beach, and watch fishermen haul in nets nearby.
So, should you go? Sure. Colombia has a lot of energy. Cartegena looks like Spain, like Sevilla with narrow streets, old balconies, and lots of flowers. Nicholas is a great little restaurant near Hotel Charleston. Trips in the local buses were fun. Ditto the carriage rides. We paid too much for taxis, but too much was $5 across town. I think the kids had as much fun as we did wandering and looking, and playing soccer. The beach isn't perfect, but the energy is compelling.
Hope this helps a little.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 2 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 3 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 4 Bariloche rafting trips
- 5 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 6 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 7 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 8 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 9 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 10 Safety warning?
- 11 Iguazu falls logistics
- 12 Packing for Chile in November
- 13 Lima stopover
- 14 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 15 Amazon side trip
- 16 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 17 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 18 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 19 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 20 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 21 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 22 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 23 Santiago - where to stay?
- 24 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 25 Tour guide/ agency
A brief trip report.