A brief trip report.
My wife and our two teenagers went to Colombia for 10 days at the end of August. We flew on Copa and paid around $550 round trip, including a trip from Bogota to Cartegena and back.
We stayed in Bogota with relatives, so I can't report on hotels, taxis and stuff. We liked Leo, a nice restaurant near the museum of modern art (I think) and Andres, a favorite with Colombians located about 1/2 hour outside of Bogota. I liked riding a bike from about 93rd and Septima downtown on Sunday morning (when streets are closed to cars) to the Plaza Bolivar.
In Cartegena we stayed at the Hotel Agua, Isla Rosario, and the Hilton. Hotel Agua is in the old town and has a nice rooftop pool. Old town is wonderful for wandering and watching. The Santa Clara library bar is a great place for a mojito. Isla Rosario is an island about 45 minutes by boat from Cartegena. You can go for the day or overnight. We stayed the night, went snorkeling and paid too much for necklaces. But it was fun, sorta like a mini vacation at Jakes in Jamaica (but not quite as chic). Then we came back to the Hilton where you could play volleyball in the pool, get a massage on the beach, and watch fishermen haul in nets nearby.
So, should you go? Sure. Colombia has a lot of energy. Cartegena looks like Spain, like Sevilla with narrow streets, old balconies, and lots of flowers. Nicholas is a great little restaurant near Hotel Charleston. Trips in the local buses were fun. Ditto the carriage rides. We paid too much for taxis, but too much was $5 across town. I think the kids had as much fun as we did wandering and looking, and playing soccer. The beach isn't perfect, but the energy is compelling.
Hope this helps a little.
Colombia trip report
A brief trip report.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 2 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 3 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 4 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 5 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 6 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 7 2 wks in Colombia
- 8 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 9 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 10 iguaza falls
- 11 Argentina Holiday Help
- 12 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 13 Buenos Aries
- 14 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 15 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 16 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 17 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 18 cheap flights to paraguay
- 19 Lake Titicaca and Puno - advice on itinerary and altitude sickness?
- 20 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 21 CHILE, please help me in planning our trip.....
- 22 I SURVIVED PERU (subtitle: yes, it's safe for a solo female traveler)
- 23 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 24 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 25 Transport in and around Peru (buses/taxis) - safety