I had an experience in Ecuador, which has left me $1,200 out of pocket?.This is what happened:
June 24, Saturday, I paid to Douglas Chang of Centro Viajero, Guayaquil, Ecuador, IATA number 79935811, phone 099-752433, e-mail email@example.com, one thousand two hundred American dollars in cash for voucher 5328. This was to cover a five-day cruise of the Galapagos commencing on Monday, June 27, finishing on Friday July 1 2005, on board the Archipel II. Douglas paid this money on to a tour company Galacruises, my contact there is Lucero Cevallos,
e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone 02 290 3391.
I also paid Doug $360 dollars for a flight from Guayaquil to the Galapagos with the airline AeroGal.
June 27 Monday. I was scheduled to fly on AEROGAL Flight 032 depart Guayaquil at 09.30 arriving in the Galapagos, booking reference 0334AD6.
I was at the airport at 07.00.
I went to check in but was told to join a special line for foreigners going to the Galapagos.
A representative from AeroGal speaking perfect English told me the flight was delayed and I was to wait in the restaurant and she would call me. Every fifteen minutes or so I went to the desk and I was told to wait.
Then at 11.00 I was told the plane had gone and that I had missed the flight! For whatever reason AeroGal had made a muddle of things and I had missed my flight.
I went to the office of Centro Viajero and I was told the boat was gone and the one thousand two hundred dollars I had paid was lost also. I could not accept this but I was told Galacruises would not refund the money nor would they offer an alternative trip.
So now I have lost $1,200. At the moment I am sending e-mails to Gabriela Sommer General Manager from AEROGAL, e-mail email@example.com but AeroGal are adamant I missed the flight. (I eventually did fly to the Galapagos on Friday, July 1, using the same plane ticket but I had to dole out another $1,200 for a cruise around the Islands.)
I think the moral of the story is to pay for trips using your credit card, if you find yourself in the same situation as me you just reject the charge on your statement.
Beware booking trips to the Galapagos
- 1 Making connecting flight in SCL after flying in internationally
- 2 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 3 Bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales - ticket advice
- 4 8 Days in Brazil
- 5 Brazil - Rio to Sao Paulo
- 6 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 7 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 8 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 9 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 10 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 11 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 12 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 13 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 14 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 15 Peru Hop?
- 16 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 17 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 18 Uruguay Re-Do
- 19 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 20 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 21 More suggested reading
- 22 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 23 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 24 Bariloche over XMas
- 25 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014