I had an experience in Ecuador, which has left me $1,200 out of pocket?.This is what happened:
June 24, Saturday, I paid to Douglas Chang of Centro Viajero, Guayaquil, Ecuador, IATA number 79935811, phone 099-752433, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, one thousand two hundred American dollars in cash for voucher 5328. This was to cover a five-day cruise of the Galapagos commencing on Monday, June 27, finishing on Friday July 1 2005, on board the Archipel II. Douglas paid this money on to a tour company Galacruises, my contact there is Lucero Cevallos,
e-mail email@example.com, telephone 02 290 3391.
I also paid Doug $360 dollars for a flight from Guayaquil to the Galapagos with the airline AeroGal.
June 27 Monday. I was scheduled to fly on AEROGAL Flight 032 depart Guayaquil at 09.30 arriving in the Galapagos, booking reference 0334AD6.
I was at the airport at 07.00.
I went to check in but was told to join a special line for foreigners going to the Galapagos.
A representative from AeroGal speaking perfect English told me the flight was delayed and I was to wait in the restaurant and she would call me. Every fifteen minutes or so I went to the desk and I was told to wait.
Then at 11.00 I was told the plane had gone and that I had missed the flight! For whatever reason AeroGal had made a muddle of things and I had missed my flight.
I went to the office of Centro Viajero and I was told the boat was gone and the one thousand two hundred dollars I had paid was lost also. I could not accept this but I was told Galacruises would not refund the money nor would they offer an alternative trip.
So now I have lost $1,200. At the moment I am sending e-mails to Gabriela Sommer General Manager from AEROGAL, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org but AeroGal are adamant I missed the flight. (I eventually did fly to the Galapagos on Friday, July 1, using the same plane ticket but I had to dole out another $1,200 for a cruise around the Islands.)
I think the moral of the story is to pay for trips using your credit card, if you find yourself in the same situation as me you just reject the charge on your statement.
Beware booking trips to the Galapagos
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 2 Puno to Arequipa by bus
- 3 Hugely flexible trip starting in Argentina, 5/5/2014.
- 4 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 5 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 6 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 7 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 8 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 9 JW Marriott Lima
- 10 Trip Report - Very Long
- 11 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 12 Quito recommendations
- 13 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 14 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 15 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 16 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 17 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 18 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 19 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 20 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 21 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 22 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?
- 23 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 24 Ecuador-tour guides
- 25 Rio, Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires