I had an experience in Ecuador, which has left me $1,200 out of pocket?.This is what happened:
June 24, Saturday, I paid to Douglas Chang of Centro Viajero, Guayaquil, Ecuador, IATA number 79935811, phone 099-752433, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, one thousand two hundred American dollars in cash for voucher 5328. This was to cover a five-day cruise of the Galapagos commencing on Monday, June 27, finishing on Friday July 1 2005, on board the Archipel II. Douglas paid this money on to a tour company Galacruises, my contact there is Lucero Cevallos,
e-mail email@example.com, telephone 02 290 3391.
I also paid Doug $360 dollars for a flight from Guayaquil to the Galapagos with the airline AeroGal.
June 27 Monday. I was scheduled to fly on AEROGAL Flight 032 depart Guayaquil at 09.30 arriving in the Galapagos, booking reference 0334AD6.
I was at the airport at 07.00.
I went to check in but was told to join a special line for foreigners going to the Galapagos.
A representative from AeroGal speaking perfect English told me the flight was delayed and I was to wait in the restaurant and she would call me. Every fifteen minutes or so I went to the desk and I was told to wait.
Then at 11.00 I was told the plane had gone and that I had missed the flight! For whatever reason AeroGal had made a muddle of things and I had missed my flight.
I went to the office of Centro Viajero and I was told the boat was gone and the one thousand two hundred dollars I had paid was lost also. I could not accept this but I was told Galacruises would not refund the money nor would they offer an alternative trip.
So now I have lost $1,200. At the moment I am sending e-mails to Gabriela Sommer General Manager from AEROGAL, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org but AeroGal are adamant I missed the flight. (I eventually did fly to the Galapagos on Friday, July 1, using the same plane ticket but I had to dole out another $1,200 for a cruise around the Islands.)
I think the moral of the story is to pay for trips using your credit card, if you find yourself in the same situation as me you just reject the charge on your statement.
Beware booking trips to the Galapagos
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 2 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 3 2-weeks trip to Chile, itinerary review
- 4 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 5 My (entertertaining & illustrated) advice on the best ever Peru itinerary
- 6 Christmas in the Andes (Peru & Ecuador)
- 7 Three weeks in South America
- 8 TRIP DO COLOMBIA
- 9 Beginning-to-start to plan Colombia for July 2015
- 10 Colombia...without Bogota? Looking for opinions!
- 11 Argentina ininerary November 2015
- 12 Chile, Brazil and New York
- 13 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 14 Easter Day in Rio
- 15 Argentina Trip report
- 16 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 17 PERU HORSE TOUR FROM CUSCO TO MACHU PICCHU
- 18 Your tips on Galapagos 2015 for Single Traveler
- 19 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 20 Ecuador - Amazon Basin Trip
- 21 Reality check for 8 day trip to Peru in May
- 22 Patagonia tour
- 23 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 24 Patagonia tour in April
- 25 Patagonia tour