Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Croatia - Zagreb and surroundings....or Dubrovnik?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2010, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone,

Im braking my mind deciding between Ithese places.
Ill have only about 3 days to do some tourism in Croatia. Arrive to Zagreb on the 16, and fly out again on the 20 (early morning). So Ill only have about 2 1/2 days.

Some say Dubrovnik is the "gem" of Croatia; considering the short time, is it worth the extra flight Zagreb - Dubrovnik?

Or option B - to stay around, with short trips to nearby towns and stay a night on each - Zagreb - Somobor - Karlovac - Zagreb, as interesting.. (with the plus of saving time and money on the internal flight).

My interests are architecture, history, medieval towns, food, wine, historic scenery...

thanks for helping me decide. 3 days is short, so want to make the best of them!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 06:33 AM

Stay in the north and start planning a trip to the central and southern part of the Dalmatian Coast. I believe one cannot capture the essence of Croatia is just one trip. Once you've had a small taste, you will return again.

Dobrodosli u Croatia
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:21 AM

I agree, with 2 and a half days, spend that time leisurely exploring Zagreb and its environs. You can always go back!
I don't know much about Karlovac (other than the beer), so I would spend the entire time in Zagreb, with day trips to Samobar, possibly Varazdin, Plitvice national park.
The 16th to the 19th--isn't that 4 nights?
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 07:27 AM
kja

If you are starting and ending in Zagreb and have only 3 days, I agree that making the most of your time likely means staying in the Zagreb area. For perspective, I spent 2.5 very busy days in Zagreb and felt that I merely scratched the surface. I skipped Samobar and Karlovac (although I would have liked to see them), and spent one additional day visiting Varazdin and Cakovec. I spent 3 days in Dubrovnik (counting a day trip to Kotor) and again felt that I barely scratched its surface. Hope that helps!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:39 AM

This is the same problem I have had to make for a trip in October.
What we have decided is to stay in Samobar only because we will have a car and I don't want to drive into and out of Zagreb. But there are buses into Zagreb every 30 minutes. And we plan to go to Varazdin and Plitvice while we are there for the four days.
I feel that I will only get a taste. Maybe I will be unhappy that we did it this way, but I hope to return for a longer period of time and more in depth exploring.
So my un-expert opinion is to stay around Zagreb from the research I have done so far.
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 08:44 AM

Don't feel bad about Zagreb--I found it a pleasant surprise. So different (food and architecture) from the coast but very friendly. And Plitvice is the other jewel of Croatia to be sure!
Old Jan 21st, 2010, 01:46 PM

When are you going again? What time of year?

Read up on each area. Getting to Dubrovnik and back is cheap and not a big deal. It will take up as much time as sightseeing around Zagreb. So don't let that stop you.

But if you're going during high season, Dubrovnik can be very crowded. Well... more crowded than usual.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 01:22 AM

While I understand the comments about staying in Zagreb and returning to the coast another time, I think it depends on how realistic a return trip to Croatia is for you. Some people only make it to Europe once every couple of years (if that) and there are so many places to see. If you are confident that you'll return to Croatia soon, then spend the time in Zagreb. If this may be your only chance to see Dubrovnik, then go there. You won't be dissapointed.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips.
My travel will be durning march - low season I understand.

My chances of returning to Croatia are very low - I live in central america; However, when I'll return to Europe, chances are I'll pass by Italy or mediterranean. What I mean is, if I return to Europe someday, probably Dubrovnik can be visited via cruise or ferries, while little chance of Zagreb.

So Im guessing Zagreb and surroudings are the best choice this time....
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:53 AM

Come back to us to let us know how your trip was. I will be very interested for my future trip in October.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:17 AM

Dubrovnik ..no contest!
a short flight from Zagreb , it is spectacular.
Zagreb is o.k. for a day but nothing unique about it.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 09:14 AM

Gabbs, I think you made the right decision. While Dubrovnik is beautiful, I don't think it would be worth the hassle of essentially having only two days there with the extra expense of the flight, however cheap.

As for Zagreb itself, you could certainly spend your whole time there, many have, but you are also in a good location for several daytrips or even a few overnights nearby.

--Annie
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the plan now is:

16 - arrive to Zagreb midday/afternoon, spend rest of the day and night
17 - to Samoborn
18 - to Karlovac
19 - Zagreb, all day
20 - fly out

Ill post again when I return.

cheers
Old Jan 23rd, 2010, 06:54 AM

Sombor and Karlovac are small towns , each worth a few hours visit at the most ( IMO).

Plitvice?
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Danon,
so do you think is better to just visit for a daytrip, and come back to sleep on Zagreb?

Would you replace any of the two with Plitvice?

thanks
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:10 AM

Zagreb would certainly have more to do.
Karlovac is somewhat near Plitvice, and I would certainly replace anything with that gem of a place.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:25 AM
kja

Are you still planning to start at a conference in Pag? If so, consider stopping in Plitvice Lakes on your way to Zagreb.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 05:00 PM

Gabbs, think carefully about your travel priorities before going to Plitvice. It is absolutely stunning, but it is "nature" at it's best. You will be walking through woods, travelling on boardwalks, and crossing lakes...if you are not into nature, and your above post does not mention it, then you may be disappointed. We absolutely loved our trip there, but there is not much to be said for the architecture, or the historic scenery of the Park.

If you want to get a taste of the area, Kja's suggestion to stop on the way to Zagreb is a good one.

--Annie
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM

I would not know what to do in small Croatian towns for more than a few hours. Even Zagreb does not offer that much after a day IMO , but at least it is a bigger place with many restaurants and cafes.
PP is right about Plitvice - it is "nature" only place.
You are traveling in March , the weather could be rainy
and cool ..

I would rather go to Dubrovnik, or Split, or Ljubljana ( Slovenija) - any place but small towns near Zagreb.
Old Feb 9th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Anniemackie,
thanks for the useful tip.
Yes, Im a nature LOVER. I love hiking in the mountains and parks, taking tons of pictures. So your comments are convincing me into spending more time in Plitvice.

Maybe I should do Zagreb and a visit one nearbye town (Samoborn or Karlovac) all in 1 1/2 days, and then about 2 days in Plitvice.

Is it "doable" with public transports, to:

go Zagreb - Karlovac - Plitvice in a same day?

If possible, Ill spend a day in Zagreb, then a morning in Karlovac, and the afternoon and full next day and a half in PLitivice, to return the third day to Zagreb to fly out on the 4th...

Thank you guys...!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -