Search

best island near Charleston

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best island near Charleston

Hi Everyone!
My husband and I have the opportunity (FINALLY!) to go away on a week's vacation in August sans children. I have been dying to visit South Carolina and would like opinions on where to stay. We really want to explore Charleston, love to golf, and want a beach/water atmosphere. I have been to the VRBO website to check out deals on condo rentals, but am clueless about which (if any) island to stay on. I also read GoTravel's wonderful write-up on Charleston and am now considering staying somewhere in Charleston. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:18 AM

id say hilton head
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 11:28 AM
GoTravel

Wild Dunes/Sullivan's Island/Isle of Palms.

They are all three the same barrier island. Tons to do, great beaches, warm water, great food, and a short 15 minute drive to downtown.

I don't really care that much for Hilton Head.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM

no offence, Mireaux, but Hilton Head is a silly suggestion to someone who has already said they want to be near Charleston.

IOP or Folly are the sensible choices.
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:01 PM

If you want quiet & solitude, then I would vote for Seabrook. They have their own golf course & it is adjacent to Kiawah (for the really serious golfers).
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:13 PM

I have stayed at Kiawah Island and loved it- it was quite a few years ago so dont know if it has changed a lot .
It was an easy trip into Charleston, the beaches were beautiful, we rented a cute house for a couple of nights .
Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:15 PM

hmm, litespeed chick..i had almost considered your point of view valid, until i realized you really didnt read her inquiry that well. Let's go scroll back up to the top and revisit her post for a better understanding, shall we?
. "I have been dying to visit South Carolina and would like opinions on where to stay."(this indicates that she is pretty much open to suggestions to anywhere within the state,.but lets continue) "We really want to explore Charleston",(Ok, she has made a direct interest in Charleston,.but she still hasnt defined the length of her stay-something I am assuming that you possibly overlooked) love to golf, and "want a beach/water atmosphere".(hilton head does) I have been to the VRBO website to check out deals on condo rentals, "but am clueless about which (if any) island to stay on." (she is kindly soliciting open advice from the general public-she still states her interest that she is pretty much open-minded at this point.) "I also read GoTravel's wonderful write-up on Charleston and am now considering staying somewhere in Charleston." (she has definetely indicated Charleston to be a point of interest during her travels, but as she had also indicated at the beginning of her thread-she also has interests in South Caolina as a whole as well.) Any advice would be much appreciated! (wow, she would appreciate any advice given, seems to me that she is very open-minded about her upcoming South Carolina vacation, so how can my suggestion for Hilton Head be deemed "silly" as you stated? I think its more silly when people jump to conclusions. I'd hate to be a back injury victim going to your chiropractic office, you may just overlook my issue, can you say medical lawsuit?)

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 12:18 PM
GoTravel

Good lord.

Old Mar 1st, 2006, 08:19 PM

Kiawah Island!
Without a doubt.
Its everything a beach vacation
should be, and more.
Have been going too many years
to count, each better than
the last.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM

Hilton Head would be the last place I would stay in or around Charleston(in my humble opinion). (Am I allowed to have my own opinion ???!) I'll check w/the M7.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 04:32 AM

Mireaux: and just think, I choose the word "silly", rather than the first one that came to mind, in order to be tactful !

I believe the word "stay" is where our disagreement begins. I take that to mean "general location where I should look for a hotel/rental" NOT "vacation destination". I read her post as indicating she has made the decision to base her trip around Charleston, and is looking for nearby island lodging.

The biggest clue leading me to that assumption is the title of the post "BEST ISLAND NEAR CHARLESTON".

Geesh.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 06:24 AM

Hilton Head = overbuilt overdeveloped no soul "place".
Second Wild Dunes/Fripp/Isle of Palms. Close enough to Charleston to really enjoy the beach, golf, and the amenities of Charleston.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 08:11 AM

I'll take two of whatever Mireaux7 is having!

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:48 AM

near:
adv. near·er, near·est
To, at, or within a short distance or interval in space or time.

Hmmm..seems like the term near still yet does not define a precise distance.

"Alaska is near Russia." "California is the nearest state to Hawaii" ...even with these statements being used in correct context, we still know that these are distances that are well over 100 miles. For most, we would consider this to be far. In relation to the thread in question, because the OP never defines a given distance that she is willing to travel, and also because she had expressed interest in seeing South Carolina, we can take into consideration that everything would be near to her at this junction. It just all depends on far one is willing to travel. However, the terms near and far do not define precise distance. They are both terms that would require a comparitive figure to be judged against. "far from what?" "near to what?"
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM

yeah ok, she did say she wants to stay in charleston. she also says she has a weeks vacation. maybe she wants to spend 2 nights in charleston, 2 nights in greenville, and the other remaining nights in columbia. who knows but her? her post only indicates certain objectives, and let leaves the rest to speculation.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

Wow,

I think I see Mireaux7's point. The rest of us were making the assumption that island near Charleston means, at a minimum, an island from which one could easily travel to and from Charleston well within a day.

If you don't make that assumption, then island near Charleston has a much more flexible meaning.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

Hopefully all this fuss over semantics hasn't scared her right off the board.

I would recommend Wild Dunes, Isle of Palms, or Sullivans Island to be closest to Charleston.

But, I would also recommend Kiawah or Seabrook Island. They're further away and, in my opinion, more peaceful as island settings. All have good to great golf courses, as does Myrtle Beach and the Grand Strand area.

Some of the islands place you on the southside of the state and closer to Savannah, if you choose to drive there for a day trip. That might be a consideration too.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:49 AM

Charleston, SC US
Revise | New Directions

from mapquest...
Hilton Head Island, SC US
Revise | New Directions

Total Est. Time: 2 hours, 12 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 108.79 miles

so,.beachdweller..it takes more than a day to travel from hilton head to charleston???..i guess so if youre walking.
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

I'd like to have a couple of those too, but I have to drive home.

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:58 AM

Hawkeyegirl -

I apolizize for turning your thread into p$&&ing contest.

In order to get your thread back on topic, let me offer the following advice:
If go to www.islandrealty.com (IOP)
and www.fredhollandrealty.com (Folly)
you can look at lots of condos and houses for rent. Also both of these realtors will send you ( on request) a nice color brochure with some maps and info about the area that might help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -