Undecieded? Fijii or Tahiti

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This would be my first time to either place.
Please give some advice pros and cons to help me decide.
Thanks
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Firstly, I've never visited Tahiti, but I have been to Fiji. Depending on where you live, the cost of airfares could be a factor.
On our first trip to Fiji, we stayed in a resort on the main island, south of Nandi, and although it was okay, we preferred our second stay on one of the outer islands of Fiji, more relaxed and natural. Castaway Island was our preferred island, however, since that trip, there are a lot more islands opened up to the public, especially, in the Yasawa Group.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Cost wise, you will find Fiji much more reasonable.

The sea is very good for snorkling off of the islands in the Mamanuca and Yasawa groups.

For upmarket accomodation though, Tahiti (Or more specifically Moorea and Bora bora) have a better choice with over the water hotels etc.

We love Fiji for the friendliness of the local people. We try to go there every year as it is so good.

For a really laid back lifestyle without the Luxury resports but still with friendly people and good food, you may consider the Cook Islands. The Beach/lagoon on the South & South Eastern sides of the main Island Rarotonga,is great, very swimable and full of sealife.

Aitutaki Atoll about 45 mins flying north of Raro is simply stunning. The lagoon has to be seen to be believed.

Steve
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info. I live in California so the flight probably would not be a big difference.
Any other information would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Cost wise Fiji is a HUGE savings. We were there in 2001 so bear in mind the USD was stronger then. For example we paid around $50.00 in nice restaurants in Nadi (Chefs and a Japanese steak house whose name I forget) for THREE! A 3 round golf pass at the Sheraton, which is really nice BTW was $100.00. By contrast FP is outrageous. An collague I know went there and was aghast at paying $30.00 for breakfast and there is the reality of the $25.00 hamburger. Another co-worker went there last yr. with her SO and confirmed these types of costs. When you go also makes a difference as well. Their seasons are opposite ours so go in their winter or our summer. It was dry, sunny and in the 80's then. If you go during their summer it is hot, humid and rainy. Best of luck, Larry
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 07:15 PM

Having visited both Tahiti and Fiji numerous times, the decision is a 'no-brainer' as far as I'm concerned. Fiji is by FAR the better destination. It is much better value for money, more authentic and the people are much friendlier. If it weren't for the tourist Dollars you bring in, most Tahitians would rather not have you there and they don't exactly hide that sentiment. In fact, I found most of them in the main tourist areas downright rude. By contrast, the Fijians are among the most genuinly hospitable people I have ever come across. And while maybe not quite as famous, Fiji has just as many breathtakingly beautiful spots but you do need to travel beyond the main island to experience them.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:35 AM

Agree with above inre to the friendliness of the Fijian people. If you go get used to saying "bula". Its the Fijian version of aloha and you will hear it often. I have not been to FP but have heard concuring opinions inre to their attitudes towards tourists.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
The last two threads is giving me a tough decision. I checked airfares and FP was a couple hundred dollars less in general. I was thinking that could ofsett the higher prices there. I would like to hear some other views on FP. The beauty of each place is up in the air. I have been to Maui and I guess that is as close to paradise I have been to.
Thanks
Old Jun 19th, 2005, 06:45 AM

I would agree with Steve about the Cook Islands! Much more reasonable than Fiji and FP. People on Raro and Aitutaki are very friendly. The flight is longer, of course, but worth the extra time, I think. I've been to Fiji (main island only, and years ago) and Tahiti and Bora Bora (just last Aug and Sept) and the Cook Islands also last Aug/Sept. Cook Islands are the friendliest and most laid back of all. Swimming, snorkeling, beaches, lagoons, good food, it's all there!
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:07 PM

To Simpson: Do you mean the Cooks are less expensive in terms of eating out vs. Fiji? Thanks, Larry
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM

Hi Jacketwatch,

I will beat Simpson to the punch. Eating out in Fiji can be very cheap if you want to eat where the locals eat. Only problem is your surroundings will be basic to say the least. In Hotels you will be paying hotel prices. Around 20 - 30 NZD per main. That is around 15 - 25 USD.

In the Cooks from memory you pay slightly less, not a whole lot less though. You are paying in NZD as that is the currency there. I remember mains being between 18 and 27 each. But you certainly were not hungry afterward. There are cheaper options, but quality dropped accordingly.

For such a small place the Cooks had a good range of bars and restaurants. Both in Hotels and out.

http://www.aloha-mana.com/cook%20isl...nt%20guide.htm

This link shows a few.

Although it was a while ago when we were last there, Vaima and Flametree where good for fresh food. Trader Jacks was good for lunch especially the fish. Sadly it was destroyed in cyclone earlier this year. Hopefully it will be rebuilt soon.

Remember those prices quoted above are all you have to pay. Tipping is actively discouraged in the Cooks. The same in Fiji. If you want to leave a little extra for the staff. Drop a few dollars in an envelope when leaving your accomodation and say it is for the Christmas fund.

It cause great embarrassement on both sides if you try to give a tip directly to staff at a hotel in Fiji and usually the same in the Cooks as well.

Cheers

Steve
Old Jun 21st, 2005, 03:51 AM

Great reply Steve and thank you very much. The more I learn about the Cooks the more it appeals to me. We are in the US and went to Fiji in 2001 when the USD was much stronger. I recall paying ariund USD 50 for a terrific meal for 3 in Nadi at Chefs and about the same at that Japanese steak house (Daikatsu?). Then the Fijian and NZ dolloar were about the same in value. Are you from NZ BTW? How about Michael Campbell! We met many an Aussie and Kiwi in Fiji and all we quite friendly. Actually this one Kiwi we met offered to put us up at his home were we to visit there. Amazing hospitality. Cheers, Larry. PS can you get Fiji bitter in the Cooks? Loved it but we just can't get it here.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:14 AM

Hi there,

Yes I am a Kiwi, and yes we all watched Michael Campbell take out the golf. Great play. All over the news here.

The NZD and other local currencies have got a little stronger since your last visit to the south Pacific vs the USD, so it will be slightly more expensive for you down here. Not majorly different though.

I know what you mean about Fiji Bitter (Or Fiji baby as the locals called it) quite a nice drop. To be honest I do not remember seeing it in the Cooks, may have been there but I did not notice. Most beers there are New Zealand beers or the local brew made in Rarotonga. It is OK and since it is local the price is right.

If you have been to Fiji before, I would give the Cooks a try. I love Fiji, try to get there on an annual basis. But the Cook Islands are pretty special too. Air New Zealand flys there direct several times a week from LA if that helps.

If you do go to the Cooks, try and get out to Aitutaki. Simply stunning.

Cheers

Steve.

BTW, on the whole we are a pretty friendly bunch down this way. Glad you have met some good Kiwis in the past.
Old Jun 22nd, 2005, 04:23 AM

Thanks again Steve. The more I hear about the Cooks the more appealing they become. There is a buying club here called Costco and they offer very good packages to there on Air NZ. One of these days we hope to get there. If I see you the first one is on me. BTW I have a NZ brew before, Steinlager I think. That'll do. Larry
Old Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:32 PM

It has been anumber of years since I've been to Fiji, so prices aren't at the top of my head. The Cook Islands are more reasonable than Tahiti, for sure. I hope you will give Raro and Aitutaki a try.
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 10:22 PM

I haven't been to Fiji, but have been to FP (Moorea) and the Cooks (Rarotonga & Aitutaki). Have also traveled extensively to other islands, and the Cooks stand out as one of our best vacations ever.
- Gorgeous paradise w/ strong local culture and friendly islanders.
- Unspoiled, not commercial, great eco opportunities.
- Exotic without being "third world".
- Relatively easy to get to; doable flight on Air NZ
- Super affordable. We thought our hotel left a "0" off our bill.
That said, I do hear great things about Fiji, but I think the Cooks are a little more off the beaten track.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 01:15 AM

crosscheck and others:
what about travel to Moorea? when enjoying the beautiful reefs of Belize, several travelers told me to go to Tahiti-Moorea. yes, well,,,sounds like you all don't agree...
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM

I hear FP is beautiful Mitty but personally I refuse to pay the extreme cost for eating there. Why do so when the Cooks or Fiji are so much less? Of course if I win the lotto then its different.
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 02:51 PM

Moorea is the quintessential island paradise, but as others have pointed out, outrageously expensive. One day we rented a car and drove towards the volcano. We stopped on the side of the road at a cute Chinese restaurant where one order of stir fried vegetables and rice was $38! Plus, unless you speak French, it won't be as easy to interact with the islanders.

The Cook Islands, like Moorea, are lush and volcanic. But there, every activity, from a lagoon cruise to a tarzan-like cross island trek, becomes a cultural experience. One of the employees from our resort invited our kids (and us) to his rugby game, where we were welcomed by an entire village. We also spent a day at the home of Piri, Rarotonga's famed coconut tree climber. There, with a few NZ travelers, we learned how to prepare our own underground luau-style feast. We snorkeled while we waited 4 hours for the food to cook. Later, when Piri found out it was my husband's birthday, he performed an exotic rejuvenation ceremony.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -