Need help with Travel plans to Australian and NZ

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2024, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I, both 71, want to travel to Australia and New Zealand in September. We can take 3 weeks off from work, so we are thinking of 9 days in each country. We enjoy nature and the arts and out of the way surprises. I have been researching some travel sites and it's either too long or too short. Any recommendations for a travel agency that will accommodate our needs. I don't mind being in a group of 20 or less but not a large group where you are herded from place to place.
Old May 14th, 2024, 09:19 AM

We enjoyed our recent Odysseys Unlimited trip that covered both Australia and New Zealand. There were 20 people on our tour and it was a 22 day tour including two days to travel there from the US. I just checked their website and it says there is limited availability on one of their September tours but you might give them a call:
https://www.odysseys-unlimited.com/t...ia-new-zealand.
Old May 14th, 2024, 06:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi KTtravel,
Looks like quite a good Itinerary for a glimpse without feeling as if you're on a Kontiki bus.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Sofitel Wentworth hotel in Sydney and Featherdale wildlife park.
Was Featherdale part of a trip to the Blue Mountains?

Any other comments you might care to make on the trip? It's always interesting and useful to see our own country through visitors' eyes. I prefer to DIY my travel, but that's not everyone's cup of tea, I know.
All the best
Bokhara
Old May 15th, 2024, 01:59 AM

Much harder to gain an appreciation of Australia than New Zealand on a limited itinerary. I’d either spend the whole 3 weeks in Australia or most of the time in New Zealand with a few days in Sydney if you want to check the Australia box.
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:04 AM

That's certainly true Ralph, but some people only have limited time and are happy with a "glimpse" the first time they visit.Australia – size map: https://www.virtualoceania.net/austr...ustralia.shtml
Old May 15th, 2024, 09:54 AM

Hi Bokhara,
You were so helpful in planning my trip and we had a great time. I am planning on posting a trip report one of these days.

Our group did not stay at the Sofitel Wentworth. We were at the Swissotel Sydney which I can recommend. The rooms were large, clean and comfortable and the lobby and bar area were very nice. Breakfast was good but I wouldn't say it was exceptional. We really liked the location as we could take interesting walks from there and it was close to transportation.

We went to Featherdale during our stay in Sydney. We loved the wildlife park and were able to see birds and animals I've always heard about but never thought I'd get to see. This was really a highlight for us and we had plenty of time there to enjoy exploring the exhibits.

I know we were not able to give Australia and New Zealand the time they deserve for a thorough visit but we did enjoy our visit and felt we got a small sampling and understanding of both countries. We would love to be able to return someday.
Old May 15th, 2024, 04:27 PM

Thanks KTtravel,
I'm glad you had such a good time - we'll still be here when you come back to visit us again!
Swissotel has a good reputation and is, as you say, in a great location.

I'm not a fan of hotel breakfasts, but I suppose if they are part of the package, some might forgive the usually sub-standard coffee. The phrase, "No such thing as a free lunch" also applies to hotel breakfasts. If they're "included", they're included in the nightly tariff.

For others visiting Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane - far better options are available just up or down the street from wherever you're staying - at a much better rate than hotel breakfasts. Australia has a great coffee culture and particularly in Melbourne & Sydney, it's generally only footsteps from your accommodation. Besides, I like to get out onto the street & see where the locals are going for their coffee.

KTt .... looking forward to that Trip Report
Old May 15th, 2024, 05:02 PM

Bokhara2, can you recommend some great restaurants/cafes for good coffee and breakfasts in Melbourne and Sydney? In Melbourne we are staying at The Savoy Hotel on Little Collins. In Sydney we are staying at The Grace Hotel at 77 York Street.

I apologize for hijacking this post. Hopefully, Bokhara2's recommendations will help others as well.
Old May 16th, 2024, 05:34 AM

KarenWoo - best you start your own thread.
Old May 16th, 2024, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bokhara2
KarenWoo - best you start your own thread.
Yes, will do!