3 full days Anchorage

Search

3 full days Anchorage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2024, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 full days Anchorage

Flying into Anchorage on a whim this May. Any suggestions as to day trips, tours, even dinner spots. We will have a car. Love wildlife
Thank you!!!
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 12:59 PM

Restaurant - Simon and Seafort. Excellent, particularly halibut dishes. Glacier Brewery is nice too. We took a day tour to Turnagain Arm that was a recommendation by Fodorites and enjoyed it. Saw wildlife and fine scenery. The tour was run by an outfit called Salmon Berry. I don't know if it is possible for you but I am told that the train trip to Seward is worthwhile.

For meaningful souvenirs skip the ubiquitous shops and find the Oomingmak Musk Ox Cooperative for hand made items made by villagers using the wool of musk oxen. It is incredible stuff

Last edited by basingstoke2; Apr 12th, 2024 at 01:04 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 01:09 PM

Since you have a car, you will likely be staying in the Midtown area for free parking, just be aware there's a big homeless problem in Anchorage generally but it's concentrated in Midtown.

It's a long day but the drive to Seward and the 11:30 cruise to the national park is sensational, weather permitting. This company is a little cheaper than Major Marine, same time and itinerary.

https://www.alaskacollection.com/day...onal-park-tour

Denali is often visible from downtown Anchorage (go to the top level of a parking structure), and out west in the parks north of the airport.

https://www.alaska.org/advice/denali...#map-container

Last edited by tom_mn; Apr 12th, 2024 at 01:11 PM.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 01:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When in May? It can make a difference.
Old Apr 12th, 2024, 02:04 PM

I would rent a car and drive down to Seward for a night.

Major Marine has half-day Resurection Bay cruises in May that focus on wildlife (last half of May focus on Orca). They run from $109-$139. Call them, ask if there are any discounts (eg REPEAT CUSTOMER, Senior or Auto Club). This is about half the price of the cruises that go all the way out to the Northwestern Glacier, which is impressive only if you've never seen a glacier.

I was skeptical about the Sea Life Center in Seward but it really is worth the price of admission.

Tony Knowles Trail in Anchorage is nice if the weather is good. Anchorage in general is sketchy. A friend who gets put up at the Captain Cook by her company had to stay in midtown once due to weather delays (Puffin Inn). She said that was not an experience she wants to repeat.

I've stayed twice at the Coast Inn at Lake Hood, which is okay. They have good Happy Hour appetizers from 5-7 at half price.

Last edited by mlgb; Apr 12th, 2024 at 02:23 PM.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 01:32 AM

I vote for driving down to Seward, spending the night there and taking best sounding cruise to glaciers. We did Major Marine. The drive on the Seward Hwy is spectacular with several places you can stop. I liked the visitors center in Portage and listening to recordings about earthquake experience. Likes Sea Life center and wandering around Seward.
Basingstoke makes a good suggestion to see out quality handmade items. I use an ulu knife and cutting board almost daily. Mine was purchased years ago in Skagway.
nearer your trip suggest you read Anchorage Daily News for events and happenings. It is a good idea to check open times, Our dil's parents visited one May. A museum was open but didn't expect visitors so had to turn on more lights.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:04 AM

To be fair, when I was in Anch
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:07 AM

To be fair, when I was in Anchorage it was for a 3 day conference in December and I found the city to be a rather dreary place - lots of bars and tourist shops. The conference was in the mid town area
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:35 AM

since you will have a car there's more restaurants at your disposal. I would recommend South, Kincaid Grill, Altura Bistro, Southside Bistro. On the pricier end, my favorite is Marx Bros. Another poster mentioned Simon and Seafort's. Alas, the last two times I've been there, the food was horrible. It used to be our place to take any visitor, but I won't any more. The bar has great view of the Inlet though and their bar menu might live up to its reputation. As for going to Seward for a day/night and wildlife cruise, it's better to go down the night before your cruise so that you will be there in the am. There's been road work on the way to Seward and you never know about traffic and wait times. The Anchorage Museum and the Alaska Native Heritage Center are highlights of any trip to Anchorage. Also, since you have a car, you can drive up into the Chugach National Park for great views of the city and surrounding area. Just watch out for bears! but depending on what time in May you are there, there may be a lot of people up there and so bears would shy away from that---but ALWAYS be prepared for bear encounter. If you don't want to go as far as Seward, you can go to Portage and there's a glacier cruise there, but of course not the experience in Seward. There are good restaurants in Girdwood . I hope you have a lovely trip.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by christym907
since you will have a car there's more restaurants at your disposal. I would recommend South, Kincaid Grill, Altura Bistro, Southside Bistro. On the pricier end, my favorite is Marx Bros. Another poster mentioned Simon and Seafort's. Alas, the last two times I've been there, the food was horrible. It used to be our place to take any visitor, but I won't any more. The bar has great view of the Inlet though and their bar menu might live up to its reputation. As for going to Seward for a day/night and wildlife cruise, it's better to go down the night before your cruise so that you will be there in the am. There's been road work on the way to Seward and you never know about traffic and wait times. The Anchorage Museum and the Alaska Native Heritage Center are highlights of any trip to Anchorage. Also, since you have a car, you can drive up into the Chugach National Park for great views of the city and surrounding area. Just watch out for bears! but depending on what time in May you are there, there may be a lot of people up there and so bears would shy away from that---but ALWAYS be prepared for bear encounter. If you don't want to go as far as Seward, you can go to Portage and there's a glacier cruise there, but of course not the experience in Seward. There are good restaurants in Girdwood . I hope you have a lovely trip.
I am sad to learn Simon and Seaforts seems to have gone downhill. It's a shame if not temporary.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 08:26 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Anchorage has had near-record (maybe a new record by now) snowfall this winter, so the "when in May" question becomes more relevant if you want to get up into the hills or do much walking. You won't be walking through snow (except at high elevations) but you could easily still be in "breakup" conditions early in the month - not a lot of fun.

Seward is fine for an overnight, but by the middle or end of the month local accommodation may be scarce and/or pricey as the cruise season hits high gear. For a day trip, you could consider driving to Whittier and taking a "26 glacier" cruise - 26 Glacier Cruise Whittier Alaska - Phillips Cruises Alaska Glacier Tours Whittier Prince William Sound - which is on protected waters and is almost always an enjoyable experience.

For wildlife, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, located in Portage, close to the Whittier tunnel turnoff, is a visitor favorite. Doing both the 26 Glacier cruise and the AWCC in the same day is not practical; you might think about spending the night in Girdwood between the two; it's a fun small community. Have breakfast at the Bake Shop near the Alyeska resort hotel - cinnamon rolls to die for (literally .)

Again, if it's late enough in the month, the Hatcher Pass road is quite spectacular (see map below) and you could stop in the Native village of Eklutna on the way back to Anchorage; the cemetery next to the Russian Orthodox churches is fascinating with its "spirit houses" over the graves.

I don't know that I'd stay in mid-town, not because of any homeless issues (Anchorage is like any major American city, struggling with chronic homelessness, but it generally doesn't pose a threat to visitors) but because it's... boring. Anchorage is a strip-mall sort of place, very car-friendly and pedestrian/public transit unfriendly. I'd try to stay either downtown or closer to the airport. Getting around Anchorage with a car is not an issue; if your destinations are in the Hillside area (e.g., the zoo) you're really not more than 20 min. from most parts of town.

I tend to be something of a traditionalist (yeah, old) in terms of my restaurant preferences. Places like Club Paris downtown (I'll have a filet mignon and a flashlight, please) or the Lucky Wishbone (aka "the 'Bone") for terrific fried chicken and even more terrific milkshakes and malts, or the old-timey diner the White Spot. For a great burger, try the Arctic Roadrunner off the Old Seward Hwy; sitting next to Campbell Creek with a Kodiak Islander and some onion pieces, you'll die happy (and promptly.) Of course, if you want to spend a lot for a meal (remember it's Alaska) Anchorage will accommodate you.

Map showing some of these places: https://maps.app.goo.gl/97p1Et2jdWRKZnju8
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 11:42 AM

I would recommend staying in either Girdwood or Seward instead of 3 days in Anchorage. You can easily do one of the boat rides from Seward to see wildlife, visit the SeaLife Center and depending when in May, Exit Glacier. The trail from the parking lot is level so not much of a hike. The Wildlife Conservation Center is great along with the Aerial Tramway in Girdwood. The Alyeska Lodge has a nice indoor pool and hot tub and since we were there early post-pandemic in 2021, has opened a spa. The town itself is very walkable and offers other places to stay beyond the Alyeska Lodge.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:13 PM

Anchorage is like any major American city, struggling with chronic homelessness
This is an aside but I visited Chicago and Anchorage a month apart and there was no comparison, almost no homeless to be seen in Chicago. All major US cities do not have this problem to the extent that the western US cities do, especially those near the coast. When checking into my midtown Anchorage hotel the check in person talked about where the cameras and lights were in the parking lot (I travel a lot and this was a first for me) and someone at my conference staying at another midtown hotel had their car broken into and the clothing left on the seat was stolen.
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Madam397
I would recommend staying in either Girdwood or Seward instead of 3 days in Anchorage. You can easily do one of the boat rides from Seward to see wildlife, visit the SeaLife Center and depending when in May, Exit Glacier. The trail from the parking lot is level so not much of a hike. The Wildlife Conservation Center is great along with the Aerial Tramway in Girdwood. The Alyeska Lodge has a nice indoor pool and hot tub and since we were there early post-pandemic in 2021, has opened a spa. The town itself is very walkable and offers other places to stay beyond the Alyeska Lodge.
All well and good -- but the OP is traveling in a few weeks. It is quite likely accommodations will be scarce in those places. But my guess is wanderlust is already booked somewhere IN Anchorage since the OP doesn't ask anything about accommodations . . .
Old Apr 13th, 2024, 12:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Whenever I visit my cousin in Anchorage she takes me to Alaska Wild Berry for preserves/syrups/chocolates/smoked salmon/etc. (maybe she gets a kick back LOL ) One is downtown and one maybe 4 or 5 miles from the airport
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 01:30 PM

Not knowing when or if the OP has booked rooms, or their cancel policies, I would look for a night or two at an AirBnB in Seward. May is still early enough that I would not expect that the entire town is booked up.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks all of you for fantastic and great suggestions! Looks like we will stay only 2 days in Anchorage and 2 days in Seward. But with a car, we can get out and see the countryside. Bears may be coming out of hibernation I hear. We're going early May.
Old Apr 27th, 2024, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

How thoughtful to give me a map. Thank you.
Old Apr 28th, 2024, 10:47 AM

I'll suggest dinner at the Seven Glaciers restaurant at Alyeska Lodge in Girdwood. We drove down Turnagain Arm during our stay in Anchorage and had dinner there. You take the tram to the top (free with your dinner reservations), where you will have a jawdropping view with your meal. During our fine dinner, we observed a wedding party getting photographed against the backdrop of the seven glaciers visible from the spot.

Here is a link: https://www.alyeskaresort.com/product/seven-glaciers/