Miami Daytrips with Toddlers Dec 26-31

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2024, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need recent experienced advice from parents and/or grandparents for our family group vacation in Miami. I'm investigating daytrips for the kit and caboodle.

The situation: OK--I admit it. I would have preferred flying our entire family to Paris. But the kids are too young, and no one seems to have the needed time. Sigh. So we're going to Miami. Go figure.
All in the family wanted a Xmas break vacation someplace warm where three little cousins could be together, but exact dates were hard to align. Long flights and connecting flights are hard with an obstinate 2+ grandson. Flight times to Miami have seemed feasible, though.
  • Family Group 1: One DC career daughter and career husband, one huge dog that can't get boarded, with son that will be 2+.
    Daycare shuts down Dec 23-Jan 2, but parents have to work during the break.
    Outside family member that typically babysits said big dog may or may not be able to watch him. Iffy for both parents, one parent and the kid probably are confirmed.
  • Family Group 2: One ATL career daughter and career husband, one small dog that can fly who is coming hell or high water, two daughters 6+ and 3+.
    Both kids will have a long Winter Break; parents still have to work for most of it.
    Confirmed for trip.
    Rented a minivan.
  • Family Group 3: In the NE city. Really old grandfather who is still working and one less old grandmother who only wants to plan travel and is always mad she's still tied to quarterly revenue reports.
    No dog.
    Confirmed for trip.
I know...TMI. But I wanted to convey our juxtaposition of needs.

We found a good rate at a Port Miami area hotel that would accommodate all three groups. Yep, you read right--not South Beach or the kiddie resort areas. We wanted to shorten our airport commute and "weather proof" our stay. That specific location gives us the option of walking or riding to
  • Bayfront Park
  • Bayside Marketplace
  • Skyviews Miami Observation Wheel
  • Pérez Art Museum Miami
  • HistoryMiami
  • Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum of Science
  • Miami Children's Museum
As an added bonus, we grandparents can babysit the 3 grandkids and that darn small dog at the hotel while the four parents go salsa dancing. So far, so good.

Please help me out with one or two daytrips outside the city. Remember: Toddlers aboard. I'm specifically wondering if it's worth it to go someplace in the Everglades. I looked at the tram trips on Shark Alley, and I think that would be too long for the 3+ and the 2+. There are airboats available within an hour's drive. If I brought noise-cancelling earphones for the kids, does that work? Opinions? Suggestions? Good and bad experiences? Nightmares from hell?

Thank you so much for your help.
AZ