Search

calling card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
calling card

Any suggestions on a reliable pre-paid calling card for calling from Botswana to USA. Thanks
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VOIP calling cards

There are three mobile networks in Botswana: Mascom, Orange and BTC. It's easy to get and register a SIM card on arrival, providing you do the registration physically in one of the Mascom, Orange or BTC shops. If you try to use the on-line registration systems it will quickly turn into a nightmare, but registering in person in the shop is a breeze..
Anyway, of the three networks BTC (which is the government) has by far the best geographical coverage, and is the only one worth considering if you are heading out into rural areas.

You are no doubt hoping that there will be a cheap and effective voice over internet protocol calling card that you can use to keep the costs of international calls down. I've never seen one here; and in most of the places I go I really doubt it would work. Surprisingly large areas of the country enjoy only 2G network coverage and I think VOIP requires 3G or above. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong).

Most accommodations in towns and larger villages will have a broadband internet connection. It may or may not be fast enough to call someone via Whatsapp or Zoom. Skype sometimes works when the first two don't as it can make do on only about 0.3 Mb/s connections. Some of the more expensive lodges and camps will have a satellite internet connection.

So sorry, I don't think there is an easy answer. If you do find a VOIP calling card I really doubt that it will do what you want outside of the major towns.

Graeme