Search

Southern England Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2024, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Southern England Itinerary Help

Hello Fellow Travels,
I am asking this travel community to help us narrow down our Southern England trip. My husband and I along with a dear friend will be traveling in late May and have 11 nights in England. This will be my first time to this country but hubby and friend have already visited. We are interested in spending 4 nights in London and 7 nights in the countryside. We love art, gardens, history and castles. Looking for unique experiences and trying as best we can to avoid the crowded overly touristy places. We will be renting a car in London. These are the places that are on the Bucket list- Sissinghurst gardens, Dover castle/Cliffs walk ( Hubby is a big WW2 history buff and wants to visit Dover Castle for Dunkirk operations tour ) and Oxford.
I know that time is limited and visiting these two places puts us in opposite directions, but here is what we are thinking:
Arrive London and rent car- drive to a small village in the Cotswolds to use as a base for 3 nights
1-3 Nights: Cotswold village ( Burford, Bourton on the water, Chipping Campden , or any other you recommend)
Want to visit Oxford, Bath, Hidcote Manor. Or would it be better to base ourselves in Bath?
4th Night: Drive from the Costwolds toward Portsmouth and overnight - thinking it would be interesting to see the Mary Rose but not committed to this. We are just trying to find a place to break our trip from the Costwolds to Dover/Sissinghusrt area.
5-7 Nights: Considering staying on the grounds at Sissinghurst Castle Farmhouse 2 nights and then maybe somewhere in Dover? Or stay in between these two places for 3 nights and drive to each area.
8-11 Nights : Drive back to London and return car. Stay 4 nights in London
I understand it may be a wide area to cover so we are flexible and are willing to perhaps take away a night in London to add to the driving trip.
Your input and time is much appreciated.
Look forward to hearing back!
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 04:43 AM

Please do not drive after a long flight. You will be tired and driving while jet-lagged is the same as driving while drunk.
Not sure why you want a break between Cotswolds and Sissinghurst unless you are desperate to visit Portsmouth. It is only a 2 and half hour drive from Burford, assuming the M25 is running OK. Even if it is a bit clogged it wont add much time to your journey. That is about the same time as getting there from Portsmouth.
Likewise why transfer to Dover? It is about an hour's drive from Sissinghurst.
Others will chip in with more and better suggestions on where to stay and what to see.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 05:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Heti says, please don't drive the first day, catch a bus to Windsor or Oxford. Windsor has a castle if you want to see one, Oxford has a few old buildings and some art. Either hire your car from Oxford or catch the bus back to Heathrow to pick one up.

Then I get a bit confused, "Looking for unique experiences and trying as best we can to avoid the crowded overly touristy places." and yet you are going to the Cotswolds. Not really sure how to advise as the Cotswolds are what they are, very touristy though May may be a good time slot (but I doubt it). Are you planning to be there at the weekend as they fill up even more then.

Portsmouth has the Mary Rose, HMS Victory and King Henry's castle, as such it is a good place to overnight https://www.visitportsmouth.co.uk/th...castle-p221301, there are a fair few small hotels in Southsea (sort of part of Portsmouth) down towards the castle and a street of restaurants one row back. Do you need to overnight here, I don't know.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 06:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I have just skimmed so far and don't have time to address specifics until later today, but just two quick comments based on the other two posts . . . 1) 100% (100000%) do not drive on arrival, Depending on flight times and other variables, one option is doing London car-less first and finish up either in the Cotswolds or in Kent . . . and 2) I'll need to read more but if you are just going from the Cotswolds to the Sissinghurst area there is no need to break the journey
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I do understand that with their AONB designation the Cotswolds' will be on everyone's must see list. What I did see however, is that it's a large area and was hoping to get some input on least visited villages that can still be used as a base since we have a car. We do know that we are tourists ourselves and will be flexible and adjust to circumstances as we go. In reference to Portsmouth, is there a reason why we should not stay there? It will be difficult it seems to me to see the sights and still have time to drive in and out from another destination. Am I understanding from your responses that we should have just two locations as a base and travel to sights from there?
Thank you again
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Also, taking your recommendations for not driving immediately upon arrival, I have researched taking the train to Oxford and spend one night visiting this city and picking up car on the next day to drive to Cotswolds/Bath area. There is a cost difference due to a fee for dropping off in a different location. Other option is taking train to Bath and just use this as our base.
Thoughts?
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 06:28 PM

I still haven't read all of the above (been out most of the day) But -- there is no train from LHR to either Oxford or Bath. You would need to take a train in to London Paddington and then from there take another train to either city. Not a deal breaker -- but if is much easier to just take the Express coach from LHR straight to Oxford or Bath.

But really - depending on what time you land -- a better option might be to stay the first night in Windsor. It is only 7 miles from LHR, has the castle, is a great place to explore and that way you wouldn't have to pay a drop off fee.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 11:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing wrong with Portsmouth, if you like Navy stuff it can be a great visit.
Old Mar 26th, 2024, 02:23 AM

If you get the bus to say Bath and pick up the car there on your second day then fine go to Portsmouth if you are really into navy stuff.

If you stay the first night in Windsor then I would skip Portsmouth as it cuts a night from elsewhere, though you could make a long day of it - drive 2 hours to Portsmouth, visit what you want to see then drive 2 hours to Sissinghurst. You really don't need a whole day and a night in Portsmouth.

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

First, thank you everyone for your responses- it allowed me to continue my research and narrow down our itinerary . I am now considering the following:
1 night- Arrive London and take bus to Oxford, overnight
2 nights- Pick up car and drive to Cotswolds- considering staying in Burford 2 nights at the Lambs Inn , also could decide to splurge and stay at Cowley Manor( anyone has input on this place?)
2 nights- Drive to Salisbury - visit Stonehenge on the way and visit Portsmouth Museums
3 nights-Drive to Sissinghurst (maybe Sissinghurst Castle B&B) or stay in Dover-visit both the gardens and Dover castle, cliffs
3 nights- Drive from Sissinghurst or Dover and return car in London, stay 3 nights
Appreciate all input- Thank you!
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:30 AM

My usual warning about the "white" cliffs at Dover. They are not all that white anymore and are also very difficult to see unless you get out on to the water, which isn't easy. Dover castle though is worth seeing.

For white cliffs it's much better if you go to Beachy Head and the Seven Sisters to the west of Eastbourne. You should be able to fit them in en route.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Ok John - thank you for your advise. We would love to do this Seven Sisters walk- I read about it but wasn't sure if it was the same thing as what we would see at Dover cliffs. If we go to Beachy Head do we do it leaving Salisbury on the way to Sissinghurst / Dover. How long should we allow to do this? I am nervous of how long these stops will take even though the drives from one to the other are only a few hours.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Jenny755
First, thank you everyone for your responses- it allowed me to continue my research and narrow down our itinerary . I am now considering the following:
1 night- Arrive London and take bus to Oxford, overnight
2 nights- Pick up car and drive to Cotswolds- considering staying in Burford 2 nights at the Lambs Inn , also could decide to splurge and stay at Cowley Manor( anyone has input on this place?)
2 nights- Drive to Salisbury - visit Stonehenge on the way and visit Portsmouth Museums
3 nights-Drive to Sissinghurst (maybe Sissinghurst Castle B&B) or stay in Dover-visit both the gardens and Dover castle, cliffs
3 nights- Drive from Sissinghurst or Dover and return car in London, stay 3 nights
Appreciate all input- Thank you!
Only had lunch at Cowley Manor and didn't stay but it certainly is impressive! So much so that if you did stay there I think you would be very tempted to stay put rather than do any sightseeing! Certainly a place to push the boat out. My wife likes Burford and often goes there for lunch at the Lambs Inn. I am not so keen- pretty but a little twee and heaving with tourists in the summer.

A few comments on your plan. I see a lot of people on this forum planning to visit Oxford and pick up a car to head for the Cotswolds (we live 5 miles from Oxford at least for part of the year). The reality is that Oxford, wonderful city though it is, is not car friendly. This is compounded by the fact that there are major engineering works going on at present to a bridge next to the railway station. Most of the car rental places(hertz Avis, Europcar) are in Osney Island , the other side of the works from the station and the city. This means either a walk with cases through the building works to the rental places or a 20 min taxi ride around the diversions. Also there is major bridge repair on the Botley Road /A34 which is on the way out to the Cotswolds and often causes us significant delays driving to or from London which we do regularly. Best to be aware of these things when planning.

I have never been to Sissinghurst but given the traffic on our roads, it does seem a very long drive. If you are set on going there then fine but don't pay much heed to google maps estimates!

If you are up for other suggestions , I would take a look at the New Forest.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:23 AM

I'd double check re the Oxford car hire / construction mess near the station -- it is quite likely the rental company would pick you up at the station. Before booking I'd ring them up and ask. I know that Hertz often does and Enterprise almost always will. Though the Enterprise locations in Oxford a some distance from the station so maybe not??
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Crellston, Thank you for the heads up, we also considered taking the train to Bath and overnighting there- maybe a better solution? We would still love to visit Oxford but it could be done
on our way to Burford or is this too much backtracking? Just trying to see how to fit it in or just omit for now (something has to give ?)
As far as Sissinghurst, it is on my bucket list ( I am a retired landscape architect and absolutely love all the English gardens).
Janis, I will ring the car rentals and see if they can pick us up at the hotel on the day we leave- we would not need the car on the first day but will just pick it up the day after our arrival as we head to the Cotswolds.
I also read your trip report about your visit to Sissinghurst and Chelsea flower show. We can reverse our tour so that we can begin in London and attend the show, but just saw so many reviews as to how crowded and uncomfortable it is- and difficult to see the displays. We did not want to fight the crowds in this case but did love the fact so many stores decorate with flowers at the entrances- looked lovely! Your thoughts...
Can't thank you guys enough!

Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

One last thing, if driving around these parts is crowded and full of traffic, is it better to just stay put in the place where we want to visit most? For example, if we want to see the museums in Portsmouth just stay there and not in Salisbury. If we want to visit Dover castle then stay in Dover and not try to go from Sissinghurst to Dover?
Am I interpreting this correctly?
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 11:35 AM

Logically Beachy Head would come between Portsmouth and Sissinghurst but driving from Salisbury to Sissinghurst will take over 4 hours at the best of times, maybe longer. So you can't really fit a decent stop at Portsmouth and a walk at Beachy Head into the same day. Building in an overnight somewhere between Portsmouth and Beachy Head would work, except that means a one night stop and you may well not want to do that. I don't know then south coast well enough to suggest somewhere but I'm sure others will.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:09 PM

I can’t post much right now- having lunch with a couple of friends- but re Chelsea- you simply cannot avoid crowds. Things do thin out just a bit later in the afternoon. If you join the RHS you can attend on members days which are slightly less crowded. Late afternoon early evening the crowds are definitely more manageable. Is Chelsea very crowded - yes. But I wouldn’t miss it if you can possibly fit it in.
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you John- we were going to do Portsmouth as a full day when staying in Salisbury, and then on our travel day to Sissinghurst we were considering stopping at Beachy Head to see the cliffs as you suggested. I used google map and the time shown was 2 hrs. and 40 minutes, but I guess not taking into account traffic. I had chosen Salisbury as our base while in this area because of what it has to offer but maybe staying in Portsmouth is better. Then on our travel day from Portsmouth to Sissinghurst we can stop a t Beachy Head to walk the cliffs- google map says total travel time via Beachy head is 3 hrs. 20 minutes, add traffic time?
Old Mar 27th, 2024, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Janis- thank you for your input on Chelsea flower show

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -