Search

Dolomites + Bavaria Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2024, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolomites + Bavaria Trip

Hi everyone!

Looking to make a return trip to the Dolomites in August. Family of 6, with 4 adult kids. Looking to do some hiking, history, and explore the villages. Hoping to use the trains as much as possible.

Current itinerary:
Land in Munich - Train to Mittenwald (overnight Mittenwald)
Train to Ponte Gardena in the Dolomites, bus to Ortisei (3 nights)
Berchtesgaden (3 nights) (day trip to Salzburg)
Munich (1 night)
Fly home

thanks for any thoughts in advance!
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 01:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
JMO... in just a week, you're spending a LOT of time sitting on trains and buses... 20 hours or so by my count.

Considering the long transfers to/from Ortsei, I'd probably drop the Dolomites from this trip. Consider Garmisch-Partenkirchen.
Old Mar 24th, 2024, 05:45 PM

True about the train time but I think the trip will be worth it. That first day will be a killer though. Are you sure about your train and bus connections? We visited this area last fall but did it by car. It was great. You will find the bus in Ortisei very helpful.
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 09:27 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
It's a lot of moving around for eight nights.

Munich to Mittenwald is only 90 minutes to two hours. I plan to do something similar for a trip I'm considering. Yes, you'll be fried from your flight, but I prefer to keep going to my first destination on day of arrival, then recover there.

Mittenwald to Waidbrucke/Ponte Gardena will take 3:45 to 5 hours depending on train and route, looks like two changes. The bus from Waidbrucke to Orteisi will take 28-40 minutes.

Looks like Orteisi to Berchtesgaden will take 5.5 to 7.5 hours, 3-4 changes - yikes.

I've visited all these areas, and for me, I'd want more time in all of them. I think I'd skip Berchtesgaden, add a night or two to Orteisi, and a night to Mittenwald. Four cities/towns in eight nights is just too much IMO.

Or, maybe skip Mittenwald, and head to Berchtesgaden instead for three nights (3:00 from Munich) then head to Orteisi for four nights (still a long journey though). Then back to Munich for a night before departure (another long travel day though).

Or head to Salzburg and make a day trip to Berchtesgaden.

You'll get a Sud Tirol card with your accommodation in Orteisi, which will cover transport between the various towns - really good value, but the buses can be a bit frustrating, and you'll need to book on certain routes in the high season, so you'll want to be really organized to maximize your time.

https://www.suedtirol.info/en/en/inf...yrol/mobilcard
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

appreciate the responses. thank you!

I usually start big, and then shrink. this is helpful.

I'm shifting to:

Nights 1-4: Dolomites
Nights 5-6: Mittenwald
Night 7: Munich

Does make more sense? we have some flexibility, so might be able to add another night to our trip.

thank you!
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 12:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
In this revised itinerary, where you fly into?
Old Mar 25th, 2024, 01:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you still plan to arrive in Munich?

That first day will indeed be a killer if you plan to go from Munich to Orteisi.

DB tells me Munich to Waidbruck/Ponte Gardena will take 4:05 to 5:18 depending on connections. And then that 28-40 minute bus ride. Not something I'd want to do on my day of arrival.

Maybe consider open jaw flights?