Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Our Basque itinerary, what needs a tweak?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2024, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-Arrive completely jet lagged on 4/13 to Bilbao (2 nights) Sunday reserved time at Gaztelugatxe: otherwise Guggenheim is on the list (either outside only or both in and out).
-4/15-19th we will be staying in San Sebastian where we will eat ourselves silly. Day trip to Hondarribia and maybe St Jean-de-Luz, I'd like to see the flysch (Zumaia or Itzurun?) we could do on the drive to SS- it's on a Monday and picnic if it's not pouring rain.
-4/19 head to Porto where we stay for 4 nights before going home.

I was thinking of another area to check out: La Guardia? Vitoria-Gasteiz? Durango? I'd like to see a cidery as well.
What do you all think? Am I missing something? Are there areas I should add? I don't want to over schedule (although I have a hard time not doing this).
Thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 11:53 PM

-Arrive completely jet lagged on 4/13 to Bilbao (2 nights) Sunday reserved time at Gaztelugatxe: otherwise Guggenheim is on the list (either outside only or both in and out).

Are you driving? If yes, on Sunday IŽd visit the castle of Butron, SAn Juan de GAztelugatxe, Bermeo and Gernika (Assembly Hall here). Guggenheim for a couple of hours in late afternoon.

-4/15-19th we will be staying in San Sebastian where we will eat ourselves silly. Bilbao offers very similar food scene, you can start practising in this first town...but cheaper!

Day trip to Hondarribia and maybe St Jean-de-Luz, DO NOT MISS BAYONNE, you may ignore Biarritz.

I'd like to see the flysch (Zumaia or Itzurun?) we could do on the drive to SS- it's on a Monday and picnic if it's not pouring rain.

Itzurun is the beach, Zumaia the town. Parking heavily restricted near the flysch, controlled by cameras. Rain is always a close possibility, but who knows?

I was thinking of another area to check out: La Guardia? Vitoria-Gasteiz? Durango? I'd like to see a cidery as well.

Laguardia (one word) is really worth the visit, and also any of the many underground, centuries old, wine cellars in the area. Elorrio instead of Durango. Vitoria-GAsteiz, the capital, is well worth a visit too.

Hanging Bridge near Bilbao, Plentzia, Getxo and the old fishing port...and Bilbao has many things to see (funicular train, Azkuna Zentroa, Old Town...). In Donostia-San Sebastian, the Comb of the Wind, at the far west end, and the funicular train.
Old Mar 11th, 2024, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

mikelg Thanks for the response. We had considered Bayonne but now that It's DO NOT MISS, we may have to put it back into that day!

There are some new things to look up that I have not heard of (Plentzia, Castle of Butron) Thank you. I know you are well respected on her for your advise

And Laguardia... note taken.