Turkey, here we come!

Search

Turkey, here we come!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey, here we come!

I have always wanted to see Istanbul but as my husband and I have gotten older (too fast!!!), I never thought we would actually get there. Well, my son wants to get a hair transplant and he is more than happy if we tag along!
After searching different options, our plans are tentatively as follows:

We will be going Sept 4th from JFK , New York and returning Sept. 21th. That comes to 16 nights in Turkey.

Sept 5th - One night in Istanbul or area so we can sleep and get a fresh start in the morning. We plan on renting a car for 10 days. Should we go back to airport to pick up car or just get it when we arrive so we don’t have to go back and forth? Or, some agencies can deliver car to your hotel.

Sept 6th - one night in Ephesus area, maybe Kusadasi, with actually visiting Ephesus on day of 7th and then heading south to Kas area. That town looks very nice but I don’t if it deserves as much time. We would stay 4 nights; 7, 8, 9, 10 there and then head to Antalya on 11th for 2 nights.

Sept 13th- to Goreme for 4 nights; 13-17

Sept 17th- to Istanbul. Trying to figure if we can drop car in Kayseri, at airport and fly to Istanbul. We will have a few days there. My son would plan his transplant for prob the 19th, with follow up date on the 20th and return to NY on the 21st.

We are just in the beginning stages so all this except dates of departure and arrival are pretty set. We like history, good food, beach time. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated. I have looked at different towns in the Kas area; Olundeniz beach looks glorious! Not 100% sure about Antalya. Looks so big. I looked at Alayna too. We probably could take a day away from Cappadocia if needed.

I realize we can’t see the entire country but Ephesus, beaches and Cappadocia with balloon ride are musts, as well as Istanbul. We are trying to avoid very short stays in each place so we don’t get too exhausted. I was actually looking to see if there was someplace that we could stay right on the beach for several nights like we did in Halkidiki in Greece last year but haven’t found the perfect spot. My husband likes to walk around in the morning and grab coffee while I might still be sleeping and we like to walk around in the evening. Wild night life is not needed! Trying to please everyone. Would also like to see some belly dancing; but not the very touristy sort. My son found something in Cappadocia called “Turkish Night: An evening of dance and debauchery”. Not what I would be looking for!

As I’ve already said, any suggestions are welcome. Also maybe someone knows about reputable car rental company in Istanbul, including maybe a more local company. Thank you all!
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 02:48 PM

I would not try to drive in Istanbul. We flew into Istanbul, stayed a few days with friends, the flew to Izmir and rented a car at the airport there. If you are flying into Istanbul, you can actually stay overnight at the airport and then catch a flight out the next morning to Izmir to see Ephesus. It is only an hour flight, and easy to rent a car at Izmir airport. Also, flights are cheap within Turkiye.

If you have a car, you don't have to stay right in Kas. We had a very nice Airbnb on the peninsula with a seaview and parking. And there are some beaches within a short drive, the nicest being Kaputas, maybe 20 minutes' drive. It is a beautiful beach! The weather and water should be very nice still!

Don't rent a hotel in the old town in Antalya. The streets are not meant for cars. Try just outside the old town, within walking distance, and make sure the hotel has parking. We dropped our car at Antalya airport and picked up another rental when we got to Kayseri. It was easy to return the rental at Kayseri when we flew out to Istanbul. Flying is so inexpensive and distances are so long in Turkiye that it just makes sense, but I also did get tired of waiting in airports. Especially these small airports don't have a lot of comfortable spaces.

You are going to love Turkiye!

Old Mar 6th, 2024, 02:56 PM

We did things so differently and we rarely drive anymore, I have no advice on logistics, but Turkey is a wonderful country, every part we have seen. The landscape is astonishing, the archeological sites are amazing and the food is really, really superb!

You will get to see some places we missed. We flew into Istanbul (lucky to get a direct flight) and went straight on to Cappadocia (exhausting, but I wanted as much time in Cappadocia as possible) by flight for several nights. We then flew back to Istanbul and caught a cruise doing a lot of places we wanted to visit, like Ephesus, Rhodes, Corfu, etc. and returned to Istanbul for a few days to finish the trip.

I do highly recommend staying in a nice cave hotel. We loved Hotel Esbelli Evi, which was highly recommended by a fellow fodorite. They had a couple of suites with two bedrooms, two bathrooms and a sitting room. It would be perfect for you and your son. The location is great. The town is an easy walk. They also will arrange anything you need or want, from fabulous food delivered to taxis and guides, all at super reasonable prices. I whole heartedly agree with the rave reviews. I would have liked to have a pool and to stay longer.

The balloon people will pick you up right at the door of the hotel. We used Butterfly Balloons and like that company a lot. I was nervous and the owner actually talked with me on the phone to answer questions before I booked. That was before Covid, so can’t say how things are now.

People sometimes talk about the trip of a lifetime. It could be Turkey. Hope it is for you.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 03:28 PM
Original Poster

Natylou, we def won’t be driving in Istanbul. Either give up the car in Cappadocia or drive back to Istanbul. I will look into airfare and car rentals in Ishmir and your suggestion to return car in Antalya and get another in Keyseri. Do you remember the name of the Airbnb in Kas?

Sassafras, def won’t stay in the old town of Antalya! Thanks for the tips in Cappadocia. Will look the balloon company and hotel up. I’ve been on so many trips. Can’t say which has been the one of a lifetime! They are all so different.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 03:33 PM

Allowing for the fact that my most recent Turkey trip was a several years ago (2016), I'll offer a couple of comments:
[1] I don't know what the prospects of finding a "non-touristy" Oriental Dance ("belly-dance") might be these days, but if it doesn't actually have to be that, you may still find an opportunity to see an authentic sema ("whirling-dervish" ceremony), which at least culturally might be a better choice (your son or husband may have a different idea). For authenticity, just make sure the sema is performed by members of a Mevlevi Sufi lodge, like the Galata lodge in Istanbul. In Istanbul. inquire at a tourist-information office about possible public offerings.
[2] For Ephesus, consider staying in the nearby town of Selçuk. On my 2016 visit, I found this to be a pleasant, attractive little city with a fine museum and several historic sights of its own, in addition to near-by Ephesus. Assuming nothing has changed since I was in Selçuk, you could justify two nights there, or even three if you arrive late on the first day.
[3] I would never want to drive in Istanbul.

Last edited by Faedus; Mar 6th, 2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 04:32 PM

We flew from Istanbul to Izmir and picked up a car at the airport. In Kayseri we happened to be lucky in that a car was being delivered to the hotel where we had just arrived and the driver took our car back to the agency.

Here's our trip report: Trip Report: Turkey, 2008

and the two albums that correspond to our travels outside Istanbul

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjpcrHU1

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjp1sZBV
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 06:44 PM

To give proper credit, it was Natylou who said not to stay in old town of Antalya. I have not been there.
Old Mar 6th, 2024, 10:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is a travel forum but just about the hair transplant. I knew someone years ago who had one and I'm wondering if he will need more recovery time than just a day. Has he asked a medical person where you live about methods and recovery?

Have a great time in Turkey. I always wanted to visit but it's getting less likely.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sassafras! Thank you Natylou for your Antalya advice.

Last edited by Debbielynn; Mar 7th, 2024 at 07:17 AM.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

KayF, thanks for the heads up. My son is checking it all out but it seems very common to have it done and several days later to go home.

Last edited by Debbielynn; Mar 7th, 2024 at 07:40 AM.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 09:04 AM

You’ll love Türkiye, it’s one of my fav destinations. Ephesus is magnificent, one of the most amazing ancient Greek sites, though not actually in Greece. The first time we went in 2011 we visited a museum housing many artefacts from the area, though on later visits it was closed for renovations. You might want to check if it’s reopened now, most definitely worth a stop.

Not very far from Ephesus is Pammukale, with its travertines, you might want to consider a detour there. Another beautiful and unique place, though of course there’s tons of them in that country.

In Goreme we stayed at Kelebek Cave Hotel which was top class. Many of possibilities for hiking in the valley there; it could be hot, but there’s a lot of small stalls en route selling fresh squeezed orange and pomegranate juice, delicious and refreshing. The balloon ride is a must, I believe we used Butterfly tours too.

i second the whirling dervish, either a full
length show or a restaurant where a group performs for about 15 minutes every hour. It’s something you won’t see elsewhere, way better than belly dancing. My husband agreed too!

Drop off the car at Kayseri before flying back to Istanbul, public transport is excellent there and you won’t need a car at all.

Last edited by geetika; Mar 7th, 2024 at 09:18 AM.
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Geetika. I will look into the whirling dervishes. What car agency did you use?
Old Mar 7th, 2024, 03:56 PM

I looked up the Airbnb but it’s not available sadly. We were hoping to go back in September.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 01:25 AM

My proposal:
Fly immediately to Izmir after landing in Istanbul and proceed by commuter train or bus to Selcuk and then by minibus or taxi to Kusadasi or a beach hotel closer to Ephesos like Tusan Beach Resort. Relax there.
Sept 6th: full day visit of Ephesus. Late afternoon at the hotel beach if you don't need the full day for Ephesos.
Sept 7th: train or bus from Selcuk to Denizli and local transport (minibus/taxi) to Pamukkale. Visit Pamukkale and the ancient city of Hierapolis.
Sept 8th: Express bus from Denizli to Analya bus station and other bus or taxi to a beach hotel at or around Side.
Sept 9th - 12th: Stay ayt Side with excursions to some of the the ancient sites arouonjd (Side, Perge, Aspendos, Termessos, Phaselis) and may be Alanya.
You may rent a car at Antalya. It's also possible to do all by bus and minibus.
Sept 13th: fly from Antalya to Kayseri (80 min flight, fares start at 60 USD/pax (without luggage). Visit Kayseri or not and proceed to Urgup/Goreme.
Sept 16th: fly from Nevsehir (dp 15.35) to Istanbul.

You would waste too much time by tgrying to do all by rental car.
The archeological sites and beaches along the Lycien coast are stupendous: Fethyie (the former Greek town of Makri) with Olu Deniz, Letoon, Petara (ancient site and sandy beach), Kas (the former Greek town of Antiphellos with it's famous rock tombs), Demre (the former Greek town of Myra where St. Nicholas comes from with the ruins of it's cathedral, rock tombs, ancient theatre and 3 stunning beaches), Olympos (ancient site and beach), Phaselis (ancient site and 3 beaches), but you have just no time for all that.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Debbielynn
Thank you Geetika. I will look into the whirling dervishes. What car agency did you use?
Debbielynn, we used the excellent bus service and some flights. In Capadoccia our hotel had a van which took us and two other couples to visit the Goreme open air museum, the underground cities a a few hikes. Balloon ride you’re picked up and dropped off, so no need to drive at all.

Neckervd’s itinerary and suggestions look perfect to me, you’ll have a fabulous time!
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 04:00 AM
Original Poster

Neckervd, our trip has evolved since my initial post. We already made some changes last night and now are going to spend 4 nights in Oludeniz, 3 nights in Pas and prob cutting out Antalya. We do want the flexibility on the coast but love the idea of flying into Ishmir. That saves us a night at the beginning of the trip and prob add to Selcuk. Have you or anyone stayed there?

Geetika, now I’m checking about leaving car in Antalya. How many days did you stay there? We cut from 4 nights to 3 in Goreme. Do we really not need a car there?
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 05:13 AM

Izmir and Selcuk are pretty close, stay at one or the other. You could book a car for Goreme and also ask your hotel about transportation, then cancel if required. We didn’t feel the need for a car at all, it worked perfectly with the hotel’s van. We were a small group of six, plus driver and guide.
Old Mar 8th, 2024, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Debbielynn
Neckervd, our trip has evolved since my initial post. We already made some changes last night and now are going to spend 4 nights in Oludeniz, 3 nights in Pas and prob cutting out Antalya. We do want the flexibility on the coast but love the idea of flying into Ishmir. That saves us a night at the beginning of the trip and prob add to Selcuk. Have you or anyone stayed there?

Geetika, now I’m checking about leaving car in Antalya. How many days did you stay there? We cut from 4 nights to 3 in Goreme. Do we really not need a car there?
We stayed in Selcuk. Things may have changed since we were there.
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Michael, I have to take some time to read your report. We have already made airplane reservations and several hotels are already booked. I will be back later to update my itinerary.
Old Mar 10th, 2024, 12:38 AM

Sleep at a beach hotel close to the entry to the ruins of Ephesos and don't go from the airport into the traffic jams of Izmir (wrong direction).
The ruins of Kas can be visited in 2-3 hrs. Kas itself isn't that interesting.There isn't even a decent beach. IMO the best beach in the area is the sandy hotel bedach of Andriake, a few miles south of the antique city of Demre/Myra. If you like some surf, you may also go to the beach close to the ancient city of Petara (in the West).
The major attraction of Kas are the full day boat trips to the neighbouring (rocky) Islands.
I use Kas only as a transit point between Turkey and the Greek Island of Kastellorizo (20 min by ferry away), where I can catch ferries to Rhodos - Kos - Piraeus and flights to Rhodos.

"cutting out Antalya"
but you MUST go through Antalya on your way from Kas to Cappadocia,
The ancient ruins around Antalya are among the best of Turkey. So are the beaches east of Antalya.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -