Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Do I need to bring my passport when going from Dublin to Belfast by train?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to bring my passport when going from Dublin to Belfast by train? When I took the train from London to Paris I need it and they checked and stamped both leaving London, arriving in Paris and leaving Paris. I have heard from Dublin to Belfast I don't need to bring it, but recently heard the opposite.
I just want to be prepared.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 07:40 AM

It won't be stamped but yes you do need it. Two different countries and whilst they share a free travel area you could be asked for it. Why would you not take it with you?
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

I am going and coming back the same day on the train and was told I did not need to bring.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I never understand when this question is asked. Like asking if I should bring an umbrella on a day when rain is forecast but not raining at the moment. Why would you not routinely carry it when traveling in another country? There are any number of reasons to have it & it isn’t as if you’re being asked to carry a big bag of potatoes everywhere you go, it weighs nothing. But then I guess there are lots of things I don’t understand.

Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:35 AM

Firstly, I would bring my passport because it is two different countries, even if you are going by train for one day. As an example, we hired a private driver to drive us around the Bay of Kotor from Dubrovnik. This was a daytrip. We had to bring our passports, and when entering Montenegro the border guards asked to see them. When we took the train from Zagreb to Ljubljana the train stopped at the border crossing. First Croatian border guards came aboard to see our passports. Then the Slovenian border guards came aboard to see our passports. I would not take a chance when traveling from one country to another country, even for a daytrip.

But admittedly I do know some people don't want to carry their passports with them when they are in the SAME country for fear of losing it or having it stolen. Some people prefer to leave their passport in the hotel safe. But of course you have to remember to retrieve your passport when you check out.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 08:57 AM

Even though some of the responses you've gotten are sort of like ruler swats on the knuckles, robbd001, I thought yours was an excellent question. Good for you!

After all, flo and flux between NI and the Republic was one of the big sticking points of Brexit. Folks had gotten used to a more flexible European Union Republican/NI entry, trade, etc policies and were pretty angry about adjusting that for Brexit, resulting in a unique Brexit "carve-out" to ease the pain.

My answer is that you still PROBABLY won't need it, but you never know. As my miner grandfather always did before he left to go underground, best do "belt and suspenders."

Hope your planning is going well. I've enjoyed seeing you chip away at everything!

AZ
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 09:59 AM

I would bring your passport. The common Travel Area between the two countries applies to British and Irish citizens. According to the below link, “If you are not a citizen of Ireland or the UK, you cannot exercise Common Travel Area rights.”

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...nd-and-the-uk/

Edited to add: if you have an accident or some other mishap and need the assistance of your country’s consulate it would be helpful to have your passport with you.

Last edited by Heimdall; Mar 4th, 2024 at 10:12 AM.
Old Mar 4th, 2024, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlessandraZoe
Even though some of the responses you've gotten are sort of like ruler swats on the knuckles, robbd001, I thought yours was an excellent question. Good for you!

After all, flo and flux between NI and the Republic was one of the big sticking points of Brexit. Folks had gotten used to a more flexible European Union Republican/NI entry, trade, etc policies and were pretty angry about adjusting that for Brexit, resulting in a unique Brexit "carve-out" to ease the pain.

My answer is that you still PROBABLY won't need it, but you never know. As my miner grandfather always did before he left to go underground, best do "belt and suspenders."

Hope your planning is going well. I've enjoyed seeing you chip away at everything!

AZ
Thank you so much! I appreciate the reply and the balanced answer. I will make sure to bring it with me. My fear was losing it but I didn’t in Paris so I should be ok. I continue planning and always seem to find something new to ask. I am excited for this trip!
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:22 AM

I'd be shocked if you needed it. There is no border control between the North and the South so I can't imagine who would check it.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 03:24 AM

https://discovernorthernireland.com/...20vice%20versa.
From the Northern Ireland tourist board- no passport required.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you dont need a passport to cross the border. You do need a passport or ID card (unless British oo Irish) to be in Northern Ireland or to be in Ireland. Note the differences.
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 11:27 AM
J62

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
you dont need a passport to cross the border. You do need a passport or ID card (unless British oo Irish) to be in Northern Ireland or to be in Ireland. Note the differences.
Agree 100%.

The question asked was "Do I need to bring it with me", not "will I need to show it to cross the border"