Tour Plus On My Own

Search

Tour Plus On My Own

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour Plus On My Own

I am thinking of taking this cathedral tour proceeded by a week in London to adjust to the time and see the sights, then 3 days in Edinburgh and then travel to Newcastle for the start of the tour. I will be traveling solo and I have never been to the UK before. Any thoughts?

https://www.farhorizons.com/tour/eng...nted-churches/
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 01:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, that is a LOT of money! And, it doesn’t include airfare, single supplement, and a bunch of other required fees such as a $150 donation! It would be a big NO for me.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 02:13 PM

Do you have personal experience with this company? I see some glowing reviews on their own website but little elsewhere.

i like your idea of arriving in England before the start of a tour to give yourself an opportunity to adjust to the time change and to see a bit of London and of Edinburgh.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 02:24 PM

Yes, it's expensive, but if you really love cathedrals and can afford it, then I can understand why you would be interested. The only thing is, I'm not an expert on UK cathedrals, but it looks as though you're moving around a lot!
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 02:44 PM

That does seem like a pricey tour but I think it would likely be excellent. I had the pleasure of meeting Dr. Cook many years ago when my husband took part in a seminar in Italy taught by a colleague of Dr. Cook. Dr. Cook was teaching a different seminar at the same time and invited me along on his classes' field trips. He was very personable and knowledgeable and I had a terrific time.

I think your plan of arriving early and visiting London and Edinburgh is a good one.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 02:54 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you have not booked the tour yet - I'd think long and hard before doing so

These specialized tours led by academics often fall into the same pattern. VERY expensive and built around the professor's personal connections. Some of the hotels (like the Dean Court in York and the Crown in Wells) definitely are very nice. Most meals are included which would be a no go for me . . . do you really want B L D with same 10 to 12 people in the professor's 'hand picked' pubs and restaurants every single day X 14 days??

All of the included cathedrals are wonderful. Maybe the $$$/£££ isn't a big issue for you -- and you enjoy traveling this way. If so - it does look quite nice. But are you sooo interested in so many Cathedrals that probably $14,0000+ (including airfare, single supplement, the few extra meals and incidentals. . . . but not counting London and Edinburgh) is 'worth' it to you?

Ten more nights in Edinburgh and London - if at the same quality accommodations as on the tour - would likely run an additional $5000 to $6000.

If you are at all interested in saving money and don't mind traveling independently -- you could do most of this at a small fraction the cost. Most of the sites are accessible by train and the ones that aren't - most either have easy bus connections and/or local driver guides.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

I took an on line course from Dr Cook - Great Courses St. Augustine Confessions and I found him to be knowledgeable and interesting but other than that I don’t have any experience with the Company.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by k_marie
Do you have personal experience with this company? I see some glowing reviews on their own website but little elsewhere.

i like your idea of arriving in England before the start of a tour to give yourself an opportunity to adjust to the time change and to see a bit of London and of Edinburgh.
No. I only know Dr. Cook through his online Great Courses class on St Augustine Confessions. I thought Dr. Cook was interesting and knowledgeable.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
If you have not booked the tour yet - I'd think long and hard before doing so

These specialized tours led by academics often fall into the same pattern. VERY expensive and built around the professor's personal connections. Some of the hotels (like the Dean Court in York and the Crown in Wells) definitely are very nice. Most meals are included which would be a no go for me . . . do you really want B L D with same 10 to 12 people in the professor's 'hand picked' pubs and restaurants every single day X 14 days??

All of the included cathedrals are wonderful. Maybe the $$$/£££ isn't a big issue for you -- and you enjoy traveling this way. If so - it does look quite nice. But are you sooo interested in so many Cathedrals that probably $14,0000+ (including airfare, single supplement, the few extra meals and incidentals. . . . but not counting London and Edinburgh) is 'worth' it to you?

Ten more nights in Edinburgh and London - if at the same quality accommodations as on the tour - would likely run an additional $5000 to $6000.

If you are at all interested in saving money and don't mind traveling independently -- you could do most of this at a small fraction the cost. Most of the sites are accessible by train and the ones that aren't - most either have easy bus connections and/or local driver guides.
Thank you for the comments on the hotels being nice. Yes it’s expensive and a big splurge for me. I hope to learn enough about getting around the UK that in the future I could do more on my own and save some money. I usually like to mix luxury and budget when I travel and I have never done tour-travel before.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

I’ve been to Europe twice before and both trips were DIY and amazing but I wasn’t traveling alone. One trip was 3 weeks in Tuscany and Rome. The other trip was Prague and Germany.
Old Mar 2nd, 2024, 11:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what janisj said
I doubt you will learn how to get around much by being on a coach. The earlier week when you learn the trains you will do much better.
Last night I discussed the price with Mrs Bilbo, how much? $3k, higher, $5k, higher, $8k higher, no not possible (still she is from Yorkshire a famously "careful" county)
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 02:16 AM

Looks an interesting and quite well thought out tour. But the price is absolutely crazy!!
Like Bilbo above, I mentioned it to my Lancashire born husband and he hasn’t stopped laughing.
You will be doing this at the busiest time of the entire year. That won’t matter for small country churches etc.
But it will impact other places such as Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal (I work as a volunteer here in the Water Garden). It will be very busy indeed.
You are also going at potentially the hottest time of the year! I doubt that much of the accommodation will have air conditioning. You might have a fan and an open window! And yes, we DO have heatwaves in the north of England although it could also be rainy and cool.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 02:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm doing a similar thing later this year. Time in London on arrival, a tour for a week in York and surrounds, plus a few others things. The tour company I'm using has different cultural themes and I noticed a cathedrals in England tour for this year (fully booked). It's great that you're doing the trip, some people who travel solo don't think twice about it but others find it daunting. If you're on your own in London, you might like a guided walk, to be around other people for a couple of hours and to help get your bearings a bit. Have a great trip.

https://www.walks.com/
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
what janisj said
I doubt you will learn how to get around much by being on a coach. The earlier week when you learn the trains you will do much better.
Last night I discussed the price with Mrs Bilbo, how much? $3k, higher, $5k, higher, $8k higher, no not possible (still she is from Yorkshire a famously "careful" county)
🤣🤣🤣 Love it. Thanks.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Morgana
Looks an interesting and quite well thought out tour. But the price is absolutely crazy!!
Like Bilbo above, I mentioned it to my Lancashire born husband and he hasn’t stopped laughing.
You will be doing this at the busiest time of the entire year. That won’t matter for small country churches etc.
But it will impact other places such as Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal (I work as a volunteer here in the Water Garden). It will be very busy indeed.
You are also going at potentially the hottest time of the year! I doubt that much of the accommodation will have air conditioning. You might have a fan and an open window! And yes, we DO have heatwaves in the north of England although it could also be rainy and cool.
I’m from south Texas. Your hot days are what I call warm but humidity is a factor. Any temp less than 70 and I’m starting to get cold. The crowd issue is a consideration. Thank you for your reply.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joannyc
Wow, that is a LOT of money! And, it doesn’t include airfare, single supplement, and a bunch of other required fees such as a $150 donation! It would be a big NO for me.
Yeah - it’s a lot of money. I haven’t gone anywhere since 2016 - covid was part of the reason. I do have the money to spend on the trip but it is a lot so I want to give this some careful consideration. If I could travel with my daughters - any one of them, I would do a DIY trip* but they are married and have families and my husband passed away. Thank you for you reply.

*and it wouldn’t be mainly cathedrals to accommodate their interests.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KayF
I'm doing a similar thing later this year. Time in London on arrival, a tour for a week in York and surrounds, plus a few others things. The tour company I'm using has different cultural themes and I noticed a cathedrals in England tour for this year (fully booked). It's great that you're doing the trip, some people who travel solo don't think twice about it but others find it daunting. If you're on your own in London, you might like a guided walk, to be around other people for a couple of hours and to help get your bearings a bit. Have a great trip.

https://www.walks.com/
Are you traveling alone? Have you been to the UK before? Can you tell me more about your plans?
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 07:29 AM

Do you travel alone in the US? It is really not harder in most European countries. England, with even minimal planning, is quite easy really, plus you have the luxury of plenty of time.

Are you extremely interested in churches and cathedrals? If so, then that might be great. I assume you have considered other options and this one is of special interest. Sometimes we do concentrate more on one thing than another, like doing at least one show or concert everyday in London, but usually like a bit more variety.

One thing that could work for you if a major reason for a tour is to learn to get around (which a tour does not do) and to have company, is to find interesting day tours. We don’t want to drive, so we take a day tour when we want to see multiple sights. Otherwise, I like trains, but absolutely abhor bus trips. However, some people enjoy them. What has been your experience with bus tours? I would likely want to try a shorter experience before committing to two weeks on a bus with strangers. I did it, did not like it much unless I was with a friend. I like a lot of wandering. OTOH, I have not traveled solo, so I might not enjoy that either unless I had ways to meet people in some way once in a while.

We have not traveled since Covid began either, but that would be at least a couple of trips for us.
This is all personal though and it might well be perfect for you.
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 08:19 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry for your loss. And traveling alone can take some getting used to. I'm not the best commentator re that since I travel a lot and the majority is solo. I go to the UK at least twice a year and maybe only every 5th trip I'm with a friend(s) so unease about traveling/dining/touring independently isn't even on my personal radar screen. I don't want to pooh pooh your concerns. so I'll leave those issues to others who have made the transition to solo travel.

But - You have mentioned that you understand it is expensive -- it is more than just 'expensive' - it is VERY expensive. you are essentially paying $1000 per day. Sure, the professor may have interesting on-line lectures, but is his company/guidance worth $1000/day?

If I was doing the full trip on my own . . . I could do London, Edinburgh, almost all of the sites covered by the tour and more in very nice accommodations and not spend $10,000 total including business class airfare from the West Coast. If I was willing to fly coach and stay in more modest but nice accommodations I could do the whole 24 days for less than $6k

Another thing to maybe consider - for your very first solo trip are you OK being away 25+ days? That is a long time for a 'see how this solo travel works out' trip. Maybe try just a week in London and a few days in Edinburgh for your first time??
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 08:48 AM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
I am someone who doesn't really like to travel alone and have love/hate feelings with guided tours. So, going with that, this trip does seem very expensive to me considering what you will get but maybe your tour guide is the reason? I am not familiar with him so maybe you are getting a more personal experience. I think most people will agree that could do something similar on your own for much cheaper costs. However, we all aren't the same. I would just be caught up on the price of the tour as I could do a few trips with it instead of just one.

You could always just go and pick up small tours if don't want to be alone the whole time. I've taken Rabbies 4-5 day trips from both Scotland and England and mixed them in with my own plans. I can do train trips by myself but have a harder time to the more remote places that involve driving as I don't like to drive at home so not doing it while away in another country. This is just something to think about if you want as there really isn't anything wrong if you still decide to go with the one you found.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -