Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New Itinerary--Bulgaria & Romania--transportation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2024, 11:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some feedback and more research, I've revamped our itinerary:
3/17 arrive Sofia
3/18 Sofia
3/19 Rila Monastery, whitewater rafting??
3/20 Snowboarding in Bansko
3/21 Snowboarding in Bansko
3/22 Plovdiv
3/23 Smolyan: Trigrad Gorge, Yagodinska Cave
3/24 Veliko Tarnovo
3/25 bus to Sinaia (via Bucharest). Rent car in Sinaia
3/26 Sinaia
3/27 Brasov/Sighisoara
3/28 Sibiu
3/29 drive back to Sinaia, return car, fly back to Sofia
3/30 Sofia
3/31 Depart

We are an adventurous family of 5, planning to rent a car in Sinaia (husband wants to drive!)
Questions:
1) What would you recommend for transportation in Bulgaria? Renting a car? (Problem is where to pick up and return) Public transportation? Private tours?
2) Whitewater rafting *and* snowboarding: seems like it should be one or the other--if snowy enough to board, snow shouldn't be melting for rafting. Does anyone have experience or insight on either?
3) Anything glaringly missing? Places to skip? (We are from Hawaii and not excited by the thought of cold Varna beaches. Also not particularly interested in monasteries). If there's extra time (ha!) would love to do some biking or hiking.

Thanks in advance!

Old Feb 29th, 2024, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
White water rafting in winter..... sounds about as silly as I can imagine
Bulgaria has a few good cycling zones up in the mountains (but note the general level of hospital provision etc up in the mountain is not great) but the main plain roads are not for the faint hearted on bicycles. Romania is far better in this regard, not great but much better. Transylvania is by far the best area for cycling.

In March I'd focus on snow, because, where there is no snow, there will be mud.

probably worth reading stuff like this https://wobblyride.com/2022/08/26/cy...touring-guide/ (note all photos are summer based)
https://www.expatfocus.com/romania/g...omania-cycling sunshine and warmth again.

Frankly, I think you guys are crazy
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 05:05 AM

I think you'd realize based upon the feedback of your last thread, the feedback here is that your itinerary is very rushed. So, it is hard to tell you what to skip given your already indicated travel style. And, no one can make those decisions but you.

As bilbo indicated, cycling might be your best bet. The weather in both areas this week and forecast for next is hovering around 50-60 F with rain. I think the chances of snow are probably only possible at the very highest areas of these countries.. Hiking is probably out. You might have to check to see their current snowpack for snowboarding. The weather has been very warm in the region for February. Something to consider.

Whitewater rafting likely is not in season, either.but if you can find one running, I guess that *might* be possible. I would honestly doubt it. IME, whitewater rafting tends to run May - October in most areas, with the earlier months being the most dangerous.

Last edited by Travel_Nerd; Feb 29th, 2024 at 05:11 AM.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 06:36 AM

I imagine you can pick up a car in Sofia and return in Veliko Tarnovo..... that's what I would look into.

I am planning on 2 weeks in Bulgaria and Romania in July. I have never been. I will be renting and returning a car in Sofia. It will be a very rushed itinerary. However, I have to say yours is even far more rushed than mine, especially considering you will be doing some time-consuming activities.

I don't want to be discouraging however. March does indeed begin the whitewater season on the Struma as you almost surely know. You can have snow up at Bansko and rafting at the same time, I also like your idea of visiting the Trigrad River Gorge and the Buynovo River Gorge. In those locations I'd be drawn more to the Devil's Throat Cave and the Devil's Bridge Rock Formation, but maybe I just like the word 'devil.'

If I were you.... it looks like you really don't care about cities so much... so I will suggest skipping Sofia entirely except for that last night before your flight home. Rent a car at the Sofia airport and drive to Rila Monastery and stay nearby for the night. That will give you two nights to devote elsewhere. And you will need it as the rest of your itinerary is a bit crazy, driving so far for one night! I have some other suggestions, but let's start there.

Last edited by shelemm; Feb 29th, 2024 at 06:41 AM.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 10:04 AM
kja

Originally Posted by shelemm
Rent a car at the Sofia airport and drive to Rila Monastery
Please don't do that if you are flying in from Hawaii. Driving with jet lag is much more dangerous than most people realize.
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 11:50 PM
Original Poster

Hmm, maybe we will skip the cycling in Bulgaria. I'm an avid cyclist (two-time Ironman, biked Haleakala), but the rest of the family is more recreational (don't think they would do well on hills). We may just have to play it by ear as far as snow conditions, keep checking the Bansko ski reports. Our last trip in December the kids were pretty disappointed that we'd packed for boarding but there wasn't any snow.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 12:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks, @shelemm. will look into renting car in Sofia and returning in Veliko Tarnovo. You're right, I read a post stating that "Particularly in March, when the snow from surrounding mountains has started to melt, rafting down the Struma Rivel is an absolute thrill." We'd do it with a tour company, of course. I'll look into your Devil suggestions, too!

And like @kja says, we don't really want to be hopping into a car and driving right after a 22+hour flight, so we'll take a bit of time to get our bearings. Maybe we'll cut a Sofia night off of the tail end.

"driving so far for one night"--which night is that?
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 12:10 AM
kja

Originally Posted by kfunasaki
like @kja says, we don't really want to be hopping into a car and driving right after a 22+hour flight, so we'll take a bit of time to get our bearings.
Good choice!
Good luck with your planning.

Last edited by kja; Mar 1st, 2024 at 12:12 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2024, 01:33 AM

Smolyan to Veliko Tarnovo is a long drive and it seems there are a lot of things to see along the way. The next day you are on an all-day bus/train ride to Sinaia, and again you'll miss everything around VT.