Search

Greek Island Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greek Island Ideas

Hello everyone,

This summer, straddling both July and August, we are travelling to both the Greek Islands and Sicily, spending 12 days in Greece and 12 days in Sicily.

We have Sicily basically planned out but we need help deciding which Greek Islands we should visit. We have spent time in Rhodes and have done a road trip through the South Pelloponese, and although Santorini seems to always be everyone's first choice, we would rather skip it due to it becoming almost a cliche, and with the hordes of tourists that will be there during the time we are visiting, including cruisers, it really doesn't appeal to us at all.

Although Mykenos does suffer from some of the same hype, we think it still retains some of its old world Greek charm and laid back vibe, and with its lively atmoshere, gorgeous main town and beautiful beaches, we will be including this island on our trip. We need one or two other islands to go along with it.

Which islands would you recommend?

Thank you.

Last edited by AirBalloon; Feb 19th, 2024 at 04:59 PM.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pick Naxos, it's a beautiful island but different from Mykonos. Also in the same ferry grouping which is important. I've also heard good things about Paros but have not been there. Yet

It will be very hot there at that time of year. I guess you know that but be prepared.
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Kay. We were considering Naxos, but we were also interested in Sifnos, Milos and Ios.

Old Feb 19th, 2024, 06:19 PM
kja

So nice to see you on Fodor's again!
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Feb 19th, 2024, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Milos was probably my least favourite island but everyone sees things differently. Trying to think why I didn't like it - the beaches were filthy with cigarette butts, that was a major turn off. Also stayed at a place that was very average.
Old Feb 20th, 2024, 02:07 AM

"Although Mykenos does suffer from some of the same hype, we think it still retains some of its old world Greek charm and laid back vibe"

For me. Mykonos was a gem some fifty years ago. But now, it's the hell!
I had to pass there several times in the last years because of ferry and international flight connections.
But I ws always happy to leave this place.

If you are looking for Islands wint CYCLADIC ARCHITECTURE and "old world Greek charm and laid back vibe", check Astypalea, Sifnos, Skyros.....
If you are looking for Islands wint EASTERN EGEAN ARCHITECTURE and "old world Greek charm and laid back vibe", check Symi, Chalki, Inousses, Chios, Lesbos, Patmos.....

My be the choice of the Island could be influenced by the airport you will fly in. As you know, there are direct flights from Catania to Athens, Heraklion and Rhodos. From all these places, you could go by ferry to smaller Islands.
Old Feb 23rd, 2024, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all of your advice. We do realize that Mykonos is very popular during the summer but many of the people that have spent time there (not day cruisers) have told us they really enjoyed it and have called the island a slice of heaven

In addition to the six nights in Mykonos, we have decided to either spend four nights in either Naxos or Paros, due to their closer proximity to Mykonos.

Which island would you choose?

Thanks again!
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 05:35 AM

Both islands are nice, with bustling port cities where people have dinner until late after midnight and a hinterland with small and quiet villages and stunning beaches.
Both Islands can be reached from Mykonos by catamaran whereas Syros, Tinos, Andros, Ikaria, Fourni and Samos are along the slow ferry lines.
Slow ferry Ekaterini runs furhtermore once daily (at noon) from Mykonos to Naxos.
Noxos has enough taxis, even in hight season, contrarily to Mykonos, Ikaria and Kos.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 07:01 AM

Where are you going first, Greek Islands or Sicily? The Greek Islands get very busy in mid August, with the 15th a major holiday. Lots of Italians and French visit the Cyclades too, and I wouldn’t want to be on Mykonos at that time. Naxos and Paros get very busy too, but at least with Paros and Naxos being larger there are places where you can get away from the crowds.

The one advantage of Mykonos for you I can think of is there are direct flights to several airports in Italy.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 08:49 AM

if you like to have an excellent sandy beach at Naxos all for you in top high season, go to Kalandos.
https://www.naxos.net/beaches/kalados/
Nice smal hotel renting studios and serving excellent fish and organic food in their own restaurant.
3 other restaurants behind the beach.
Neither beach chairs nor umbrellas, however.

You can get more or less the same with chairs and umbrellas (and some airbnbs aound) in the South of Ios: Manganar
https://www.feelgreece.com/en/manganari-iosi
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 02:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

We will be travelling to Mykenos first, so we should be arriving there around July 20th and we have decided to add Naxos as our 2nd Greek island. If the ferry times work out, we will arrive in Mykenos then take the ferry to Naxos that same day, spend 5 nights before returning to Mykenos, where we will stay for a week, then flying to Sicily.

We want to stay in one of Mykenos’ adult oriented luxury hotels but not be too far away from Mykenos Town. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for all of your help!

Old Feb 25th, 2024, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that we were originally thinking about the Ionian Islands, specifically Zakynthos, before deciding on Mykenos.

Aside from not being surrounded by Cycladic architecture on Zakynthos, we are wondering how else these two islands compare (beaches, main town, nightlife, interesting villages, scenery and landscapes, boutique/luxury hotels, etc.).

Also, what are the rules about renting a boat ourselves (-20 ft) without a license on the various islands?

Thanks!

Last edited by AirBalloon; Feb 25th, 2024 at 03:55 AM.
Old Feb 25th, 2024, 07:11 AM

Be aware that your plane may be delayed when arriving at Mykonos. So plan enough time between arrival of the plane and departure of the Naxos bound catamaran.
Book your transport between the airport and Tourlos ahead. There are often not enough taxis in high season.

It would, of course, be less risky to stay at Mykonos first and to fly from Naxos to ATH - CTA/PMO. (lless than 4 hrs).
There aren't direct flights from Mykonos to Sicily anyway.
Flights from Naxos to CTA or PMO are a bit more expensive than those from Mykonos.

If you like slow ferry rides, go byafternoon ferry from Naxos or Mykonos to Rafina, sleep at Hotel Avra, go then by free hotel shuttle to Athens airport and reach CTA or PMO from there.
Sicliy bound flights from Athens are about 100 EUR cheaper than those from Mykonos and about 150 EUR cheaper than those from Naxos.

Zakynthos with it's many different landscapes, towns, villages and beaches can in no way be compared with tiny Mykonos.
Old Mar 19th, 2024, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Our trip is booked: Mykonos, Naxos and Santorini (in that order) and then off to eastern Sicily.

Thanks everyone. We really appreciate your all of your help.

Old Mar 20th, 2024, 06:16 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Mykonos- take a look at the Petasos Beach Resort.
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 09:14 AM

I am a senior now (age 72, officially), and have travelled throughout Greece since 1970 (as my moniker would suggest), but the islands of Corfu and Kefalonia should be on your list, especially if you want uncrowded beaches, good restaurants, horse-back riding, grottos & caves to explore, and fantastic resorts. Just sayin'...and I would go in late May/early June to get the best temperatures (30-35 degrees Celsius) and beat the crowds.
Old Apr 4th, 2024, 07:23 PM

I haven't seen Crete mentioned. We were there in 2005 & 2006 and loved the island!