Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Visiting Prague for the first time - bars & restaurant recommendations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello - my husband and I are going to Prague for 4 days / 3 nights in April.

We are both vegetarian - we've heard Prague isn't too bad for good veggie meals! Is there anywhere in particular you would recommend? We have heard good things about Maitrea!
Also any fun / interesting bars you would recommend too? Thinking more cocktail bars. I'm not really a beer drinker, but happy to try a couple of good beer-specific places so my husband can sample the local delicacies ;P

Thanks in advance
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 07:22 PM

If you would enjoy an art nouveau cafe with a history and great service, you might try Cafe Louvre. We were there twice on our last visit to Prague. Once for lunch and later in the week for dinner. They have some vegetarian meals on offer and a small bar. Check out their menu at https://www.cafelouvre.cz/en
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 06:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
https://www.happycow.net/searchmap?s...zoom=11&page=1
Old Feb 12th, 2024, 07:54 AM

This is the eating portion of our trip:

We ate well in Prague. On our second evening there we walked out of the hotel to look for a restaurant. On the far side of the square we found La Dégustation, a one-star Michelin. The posted menu (prix fixe every night) looked interesting, we walk in, ask if we could eat and presto we had a table (but reservations might be safer). Excellent food, good service, prices to match:

the non-alcoholic pairing consisted of house-made juices; the walnut juice did not work.

We had made reservations for Pepř a Sůl, Krátkého 1, 190 00 Praha 9, Czechia (https://peprasul.cz/home/) The total price for the meal was 1495 KČ plus 10% tip ($72 total). Tipping is generally expected on top of a built-in service charge. It’s an upscale version of traditional Czech food. The restaurant is at the far edge of Prague, at the end of the no. 6 tram line. Good food, good service, and you get to see a non-touristy neighborhood when taking surface transportation there.

On our night at the opera we came home later than expected and stopped in the beer hall next door to get something to eat. The kitchen was closed but the waitress managed to get some bread and cheese, no problem when it came to the beer. It has traditional food and we decided to go there for our last night in Prague. But Lokal (https://lokal-dlouha.ambi.cz/en/ ) is a very popular place and trying to make a reservation on the same day for a Friday night seating is impossible. We ate elsewhere, less memorable.

The Café Imperial is a place for an afternoon coffee & cake. The venue is memorable by its decor and the coffee & cakes are excellent, prices are high: $19 for two coffees and two pieces of cake.

Old Feb 12th, 2024, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my experience is that veggie is a bit difficult to find and many vegetarians don't like to eat in places where meat is prepared, hence my link.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 10:33 AM

I'm a vegetarian who used to live in Prague. It's true that there are limited options for vegetarians in the strictly Czech restaurants - although even ten+ years ago I could almost always find a salad or something to eat on the menu, and the options have expanded since I lived there. But there are also lots of other more international-based restaurants and even some vegetarian restaurants that are just delicious! Here are my recs:

Clear Head
Address: Borsov 2/280 in New Town, sort of near the river
Somewhat hidden restaurant with delicious food and quirky, aesthetically interesting interior. The ceiling of the main dining room is designed to resemble the night sky, complete with dangling shiny stars. Beware: do not go to their affiliate restaurant in Old Town – it is very bad (or at least was in the late aughts)

Radost FX
Address: Belehradska 120
Tram stop: I.P. Pavlova
Seriously yummy vegetarian food (although not ALL vegetarian), cool, middle-eastern inspired décor. Also serves amazing brunch, which is very difficult to find in Prague. Radost doubles as a very trendy club at night – many rumored celebrity sightings here. One of my favorite clubs in Prague!

Fractal
Address: Smeralová 1 (Holesovice area)
One of my favorite expat restaurants in Prague. Weird mix of American/Mexican/Czech food. Funky interior. It’s located in Holesovice, nearish the Nadrazi Holesovice metro. There is also a metro bus that runs close to the restaurant, which I think you can catch off the Green line.

Chez Amis
Spálená 15, 110 00 Prague
Nové Město, Praha 1
Delicious takeout (or quick sit) falafel place in New Town.

Café Slavia
Address: Smetanovo nábřeží 1012/2, 110 00 Praha 1
One of Vaclav Havel’s favorite haunts, this café offers beautiful views, a decent (Czech) menu, art nouveau décor, and great ambience. Smaller size menu so less veggie food, but what they do offer is decent.

Bars:

Bonvivant’s
Speakeasy-style cocktail bar in Prague. This wasn’t around when I lived there, but people rave about it now. I think it's in Old Town.

Cross Club
Plynární 23, Prague 7
REALLY neat bar designed to look like the inside of a machine. Very artsy, very surrealist, very Czech. Located near the Nadrazi Holesovice tram stop. More locals go here than tourists, since it’s not in the center of the city

U Sudu
Vodičkova 677/10
Cellar wine bar made up of cavernous underground tunnels that lead to various themed rooms – a game room, a dancing room, and many, many drinking rooms.

Vinograf
Wine bar that will let you sample the best of Czech wines, mostly from Southern Moravia. I like Southern Moravian wines, but…they’re a little bit of an acquired taste.

I don't really drink beer, so I'll let others help you out with those recs!
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 01:44 PM

I second Clear Head. Been twice to Prague and visited this restaurant twice as my wife does not eat meat except seafood. I am a big meat eater and I loved the food. Her favourite vegetarian restaurant in the world.

Make sure you go to vegeterian or vegan restaurants as very unlikely to find regular restaurants that serve vegetarian meals. In fact I don't think I have been to a single one in Prague unless you are ok with just apetizers.