Amalfi-close airport to open

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2024, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As if the Amalfi Coast area wasn't crowded enough...

An airport near Salerno will open with limited service in July 2024, full service in 2026, and new terminal facilities completed by 2027. By 2043, it's expected this airport will see 6 million passenger per year. In comparison, Naples' Capodichino international airport had 12.4 million passengers in 2023.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/a...rno/index.html
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in other words, the trip I am planning in the area... go this year! Thanks, Jean, will do!
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 05:42 PM

Interesting. The roads, ferries and services in that area are already stressed. How will the area accommodate more people? Perhaps more will travel South. More will probably fly from Venice, Milan or Rome rather than using trains. I just don’t see how that many more people can fit on the AC. Last time we were there, you could hardly move in shopping areas and they are limiting days of car travel.
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 07:58 PM

Who is estimating six million?

Italy is full of airports. For political reasons Florence is being increased. Doesn't mean anyone will fly there. Even if they do it'll mostly be people that would already be going to Florence.

Same thing with this airport. First they'll need to almost bribe the airlines to use it. Airlines short of planes and trained crews have plenty of offers.

I'll bet off season it'll be a ghost town. In season it'll be a mix of flights to Greece and other getaways for the locals. A few shorter hops around Europe. Some will be second home owners. Some will be coming just to visit. Most of these people are price conscious

If I didn't mess up the math too much that's an average of about 80 single aisle planes a day. Most of those during the busy season. If the airlines can find that many planes and crews the world will be much changed.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It won't be all commercial flights. A new general aviation terminal is also being built.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Italy has been given loads of money (EU) to help fight Climate Change and as a Covid recovery budget and they are struggling to succeed to spend the money fast enough. Hence they are building more airports. The logic.....
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It won't necessarily bring massive hordes more people to the area -- it just means more of them will fly there instead of into NAP alleviating congestion there.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 07:41 AM

If it's opening this year it was green lighted before Covid.

Look at BER in Berlin that thing took twenty years to build and it's still not great.

Old Feb 10th, 2024, 09:11 AM

A kind of new Ciudad Real, I suppose.........
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 12:50 AM

I think that given a reasonable option, many people who want to visit both Venice and the AC, but currently decide against it because of logistics, will do that combination if there are flights say, from Venice to Salerno. People are more likely to combine Sicily with the AC. Milan to Salerno? Paris to Salerno? I can see an airport there increasing tourism a lot if people can find lodging. Good? Bad? I don’t know.
Just look at the posts we are seeing here on Fodors asking for help with vacations of only 4 days to Spain (with kids), 5 to Italy (wanting to see every place from Venice to Rome, and 20 places in 21 days in a half dozen countries (including travel), etc., etc. If planes fly, people will fill them.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 01:12 AM

Naples has the advantage of connections to intercontinental flights. Salerno won't have this possibility. People flying into Salerno will be taking direct flights there from someplace served by that airport. I don't see it having a huge impact on the number of visitors to the Amalfi coast.

The small airport near my home in Le Marche, Ancona (AOI) has recently, to great fanfare, offered direct flights to Milan, Rome, and Naples. The airline, ITA Airways, has been operating with half (and more) empty planes. It is plagued with delays and and cancellations. They are closing the service next month, and the regional government is searching for another airline to offer the service. It won't be easy.

Today in our local newspaper, a regional politician gave an interview in which he insisted that this service was essential for maintaining international connections to our region. This is a fatuous argument.

The airport already has direct connections to London (Ryanair), Paris (Volotea), and Munich (Lufthansa), as well as a few eastern European countries. Of these, only Lufthansa is useful for international connections, because it offers single tickets to flights out of Munich. The flights to Milan, Rome, and Naples have no partnership with any major airline. If you miss your flight from Rome to New York because your flight from Ancona arrived late to Fiumicino, your ticket to New York is worthless.

In addition, the flight to Milan lands at Linate, while international flights with most major airlines depart from Malpensa. If I were flying to any intercontinental city not served by Lufthansa, I would take the train to Rome or Milan rather than flying there.

Last edited by bvlenci; Feb 11th, 2024 at 01:32 AM.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 02:02 AM

The city of Salerno has just 127 000 inhabitants.
The train ride to Rrome lasts 2 hrs and that to the intercontinental Roma Fiumicino airport 2 1/2 hrs.
Nobody will fly from Salerno to MXP in order to catch there a international flight if he can do that at FCO as well.
Furhtermore the industry of Salerno is not particularly interlaced with other European and extra European cities.
That means that there will just be no demand for such flights.

Amalfi Coast is particularly popular with tourists from America and Asia as well as with hiking groups from Northern Europe.
But this demand is by far not big enough for an airport with regularly sheduled flights.
That doesn't exclude that some low cost airlines will fly to this place, but only under the condition, that they will not to have to pay airport taxes or any other taxes.
All these costs must then be payed by the local population.

The whole Amalfi Coast has less than 30 000 inhabitants and a few thousand guest beds.
That's absolutely nothing compared with the Ancona - Rimini area mentioned above by bvlenci

Old Feb 11th, 2024, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
The city of Salerno has just 127 000 inhabitants.
The train ride to Rrome lasts 2 hrs and that to the intercontinental Roma Fiumicino airport 2 1/2 hrs.
Nobody will fly from Salerno to MXP in order to catch there a international flight if he can do that at FCO as well.
Furhtermore the industry of Salerno is not particularly interlaced with other European and extra European cities.
That means that there will just be no demand for such flights.

Amalfi Coast is particularly popular with tourists from America and Asia as well as with hiking groups from Northern Europe.
But this demand is by far not big enough for an airport with regularly sheduled flights.
That doesn't exclude that some low cost airlines will fly to this place, but only under the condition, that they will not to have to pay airport taxes or any other taxes.
All these costs must then be payed by the local population.

The whole Amalfi Coast has less than 30 000 inhabitants and a few thousand guest beds.
That's absolutely nothing compared with the Ancona - Rimini area mentioned above by bvlenci
The area served by the airport of Ancona doesn't include the entire of Le Marche, let alone Rimini. Rimini has its own airport, in competition with Ancona. The southern part of Le Marche (Civitanova Marche and south) is better served by Pescara airport, which is a larger and better-equipped airport. The western part of Le Marche (Sassoferrato and west) is better served by the airport of Perugia. Both of these airports have more traffic than AOI.

Furthermore, Salerno airport could serve a much larger area than the Amalfi coast. The population of the province of Salerno is over 1 million inhabitants, more than twice as populous as the province of Ancona, aside from the fact that a large part of the Ancona province is closer to Rimini or Perugia than to Ancona.

In fact, I think the Salerno airport has a better prospect than our local Ancona airport, which has several times been on the brink of failure in recent years. For several years, Lufthansa had cancelled its morning flight to Munich, which meant we couldn't make connections there unless we spent the night in Munich. Our other option was to take the train to Rome and spend the night there. We were delighted when Lufthansa returned the early flight. (They now have two daily flights that make same-day connections to intercontinental destinations.)

But there's always the risk that the entire airport will fail. The EU has strict rules regulating state aid to airports, and these small airports can't survive unsupported. So there are all sorts of strategies to give them assistance within the EU guidelines.
​​​​
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the llist of all airports in and around le Marche.
Noone can falsify your argumentation in posts 11 and 13.
My post 12 was rather a reaction to post 10.
The biggest ennemy of the new airport will be NAP, FCO and le frecce.
Old Feb 14th, 2024, 07:21 AM

It wouldn't surprise me if Easyjet pulls a couple flights a week from London to Nap and moves them to the new airport. They have an average of two a day now so moving a couple won't hurt NAP but it'll let them use the NAP slots for more profitable seasonal routes.

I guess Ryanair could do something similar. But with my luck they'd move flights I want out of FCO to NAP

Both Easyjet and Ryanair would be targeting holiday home owners and tourists.

Vueling could move some flights over from NAP. Also using NAP for higher revenue flights.

The question is will the new airport hand out enough money to attract airlines?

Old Feb 15th, 2024, 03:24 AM

You may have forgotten wizzair and Volotea
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 05:02 PM

FWIW, the rail links down to Salerno are quite attractive train rides. So why fly when one can see such nice scenery out the window?
I am done. the options
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 06:38 PM

Nobody flies to Florence for a very good reason, NO airport, for it is surrounded by mountains: ! The airport is Pisa
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 09:09 PM

Look up airport code FLR
Old Feb 17th, 2024, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Larsay
Nobody flies to Florence for a very good reason, NO airport, for it is surrounded by mountains: ! The airport is Pisa
Incorrect. As Nick pointed out, there is an airport out of Florence. My first trip to Italy was only a week, in and out of Florence. The airport is pretty small but very "easy."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -