Reload this Page >

One last try for ideas about Miami Beach area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2024, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miami Beach, Tampa/Clearwater, Sarasota, St. Augustine ?

Looking for ideas about these Florida locations. What would be best for close to a beach and maybe historical and or nature activity?
Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 12:23 PM

I'm no help with Miami, but DH and I used to free load with his parents when they stayed in Clearwater Beach in the winter. The beach was great. We drove to Tarpon Springs and took a sponge boat tour; another drive to Sarasota to see the Ringling museum. I visited St. Augustine and enjoyed a tour of this historic town (oldest in the U.S.?). We also visited Busch Gardens near Tampa from Clearwater. Check for recent events.

Others can add about Miami. If you have time, split between two places.
Old Feb 6th, 2024, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for chiming in. Lots to think about and I'm spending way too much time. Appreciate the suggestion of Tarpoon Springs. St. Augustine does not lack in historical sites. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Looking for ideas about the Miami Beach area. Are there neighborhoods, for lack of better term, that offer cottage type rentals as opposed to high rise condos/hotels?
Should we be looking farther north or south for more options? We are looking for a nice proximity to a sandy beach. Not interested in nightlife at all.
Please share your experiences and expertise. We obviously have not been there and are clueless as to what's available.

Last edited by bfamilyfun; Feb 8th, 2024 at 05:55 AM.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:06 AM

I hope you get some responses from people who have more experience than me, but since you have none so far, here are my thoughts. The old hotels along the beach are lovely, but we have not stayed in any. I hate the high rises and it always seems like party central. Just look at some current pictures. Traffic and parking is miserable. You mention quiet and boring. From my perspective, Miami is the last place I would seek that. Yes, there are some neighborhoods, can’t think of the names off hand, but there is a huge arts district. There are some amazing homes and gardens you can tour. You would need a car.

When you mention cottages, I immediately think of Pass-a-Grille on the Gulf side of Florida. Look at some pictures. It is filled with old Florida, charming cottages, little shops and restaurants and you can walk everywhere, from the beach to restaurants.

If you want the Atlantic side, perhaps further North towards Ft Lauderdale or Palm Beach, you could rent an Airbnb.

While there are Sandy beaches in both places, I find the water a bit rough. It is more on the gentle side up around Clear Water, which would be my choice in Winter.

How many people are going? What age range? Budget?

Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Neglected to post this request in Florida's thread.
I'm looking for information about Miami Beach and nearby areas. Are there neighborhoods that have nice beaches but not populated with high rises and the focus on nightlife and restaurants?
Looking for a a quiet cottage type rental. Obviously clueless to the area but interested in the nice temperatures coming from the north.
Thanks for ideas.
L
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:13 AM

Agree with TDudette. Clearwater beach is really nice in Winter. Wide, wide beach, lovely sunsets, nice restaurants. Not crowded in general.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, Thanks for responding. My gut feeling about Miami matches yours. I am driven by the current temperatures and using Southwest miles to Miami.
I have also explored some areas on the Gulf as SW also flies to Tampa and Sarasota. This is a quick trip for my husband and I, both on our 70's. Reasonably active and enjoyed history as well as nature.
Thanks again.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 07:49 AM

Do you want to rent a car? What do you want to do while there? Lay on the beach? Go to some gardens? Visit some historical homes? Take a fishing excursion? Shop, go to a musical event? Etc?
For some personal info that colors my perspective: I do not like laying on a beach. I do not enjoy beaches where the shallow water quickly drops off to deeper water. I do not swim well, so prefer calm water. I do enjoy a really beautiful pool where I can order food, etc. I hate getting in a car and driving to the beach to be in the water, but do not mind driving to walk on the beach. I do love walking on the beach, especially in winter. So, if you love the beach and actually laying out, my opinion may not be as helpful.

Tampa has a really nice water front, good for walking and a vibrant restaurant scene, at least it was before Covid.
Miami (beach area) is so crowded in the evening, it was hard to get a seat in a restaurant last time I was there, again, before Covid. It was also very noisy. Other parts of the city are quieter and there are great restaurants on the river, but you are not walking distance to the beach. Miami has some spectacular homes you can visit, tour, have lunch, but you need a car or Uber. That would be less a beach vacation and more sightseeing.

If you want a town with some activities, art stuff, galleries, markets, beach and cottages to rent, look at Gulfport. You do need a car, but there is more than just a beach and before Covid there were plenty of little vacation houses.
Did you look at pictures of Pass-a-Grille?
Relatives recently moved to Sarasota and love it. You might consider that.
My husband loves Sanibel.
If you can find a good place to stay at this point, look at Siesta Key. Before Covid, it was high on my list. There are places to stay there where there is a pool, but you can also just walk to the beach.

By the way, where are you flying from? Have you considered Puerto Rico? Temps would be absolutely perfect. SW flies there. It is not a terribly long flight. Still, you would have to choose carefully where to stay or you might want a car.
If I were leaving right now, and could get a place, I would go to Siesta Key or Clearwater just to relax. If I wanted a bit more adventure, I would go to PR.
Good luck. Anything will be nice if you are in a very cold area now.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Feb 8th, 2024 at 07:54 AM. Reason: More thoughts
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 08:26 AM
Forum Moderator

Three of your threads have been merged
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Sassafrass, Again thanks for your input. I have since narrowed it down to either the Tampa area or St. Augustine. I would consider Puerto Rico for a longer stay and more time to research areas, hotels, and activities.
Since we plan to travel early next week ocean swimming is certainly not on our radar but beach walks are. Earlier weather reports indicated 2 days of substantial wind on the Gulf Coast. Been there, done that. Of course now that prediction seems to have lightened. Temperatures in St. Augustine are just a tad lower then Siesta Key/Clearwater areas.
As I mentioned I'm spending way too much time planning for a 4 day trip.
Old Feb 8th, 2024, 04:12 PM

No, you are not spending too much time planning. Sometimes a short trip is as rewarding as a longer trip and sometimes you really need that break. We had a three day trip to NOLA once and a three day to Plains, Georgia. They were each very memorable and meaningful.

The more you write, the more I think you would enjoy St Augustine, especially if you enjoy BnB stays, historic old homes, etc.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Feb 8th, 2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old Feb 9th, 2024, 06:02 PM

We have stayed extensively in both the Tampa area (Gulf Side), and South Florida (that's what we call the Atlantic side from Miami up to Bocca). We have also visited St. Augustine, so here is my opinion:

1. I'm not a fan of St. Augustine. I found it to be super-touristy and commercial. However, we really liked Castillo de San Marcos National Monument in St. Augustine.

2. I find the culture in South Florida to be too frenetic for my taste. Plus, the beaches I have visited, Ft. Lauderdale, Hollywood, and Bocca are not that wonderful. If I were to visit the area, I would stay in Bocca, because I think it is the nicest of all the towns along the coast.

3. We have also stayed in St. Pete, and Tampa. I think the Gulf side will be your winning ticket, and you could be kept busy every minute. The St. Pete downtown area got a major facelift fifteen years ago, and now it's fantastic. There are several wonderful museums there (The James is my favorite, but most people like the Dali.) Just last week, we visited the Imagine Glass Museum. It was nice, but not my favorite. We stayed once at the Hyatt Place there five years ago when it first opened. It's really nice. The Vinoy Hotel is a classy building, but I have not seen the inside of the rooms. We enjoy walking on the waterfront. On Saturday, there is one of those cute markets in a park. You know the kind, where some lady sells honey, etc. We have also been to Clearwater Beach just due north of St. Pete, but it's not as cute as St. Pete.

Tampa is also nice, but different. We stayed twice at the Residence Inn in Wesley Chapel, which just opened two years ago. They include breakfast, and have a small kitchen. There is a huge Publix across the street, so you can buy food there. Here is a secret place to visit: Lettuce Park in Tampa. They have a nice walkway where you can see alligators and turtles. The waterfront in South Tampa is nice. Be sure and look at the University of Tampa. The building is super historic, built by Henry Plant. They have a museum within the building which is interesting. I also like the Tampa Bay History Museum near there.

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your insightful comments. I was leaning to the Tampa area but ironically, I read your post just after checking in to our flight to Jacksonville with reservations with easy access to St Augustine beach. This short trip is meant to have some down time in a warmer environment with a few visits to historic sites/interesting architecture and beach walks. Hopefully some good, local food.
Your notes will be in my travel binder for future trips. Thanks.
Old Feb 10th, 2024, 12:16 PM

No problem. Everyone has a different perspective. All I remember about St. Augustine was a bunch of shops selling refrigerator magnets. But of course, you may enjoy the relaxation there. Try to write a mini trip report when you return (just one paragraph or so). I would be interested in your perspective.

I think you would enjoy, at some future point, a few days in St. Pete. The nice part is that you don't need a car, and you can be kept busy for a few days. We did that a few years ago, while taking an Uber to and from Tampa Airport.

Enjoy your trip. Now is an excellent time to visit this region. The winters here are uncomfortably cold (I'm a whip from Los Angeles), and the summers are horribly hot and humid. I would say that February and March are the best months.
Old Feb 11th, 2024, 01:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you tried Trip Advisor? Their forums are more active than Fordor's these days.
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 06:21 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had such a nice stay in South Beach at the Hilton Bentley Hotel which had a beautiful ocean beach
Old Feb 13th, 2024, 10:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since you are flying into Miami, have you thought about driving down to the Florida Keys?