Search

OBB Construction Work Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2024, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBB Construction Work Question

Hey all,

Thank you for your time. It's my first time travelling to Europe (from Australia), and I am trying to book a train via OBB.

I am trying to book a train from Luzern to Salzburg, which is going via Schwarzach St. Veit Bahnhof. The train leaves Luzern - > Zurich - > Schwarzach St. Veit Bahnhof - > Salzburg.

I am doing this since someone reccomended that this is the most scenic route - instead of going via Kufstein Bahnhof. I understand that the route above is longer.

My concern is that the site says there is:

Construction work - changes to timetable

Bischofshofen Bahnhof <=> Villach Hbf/ Schwarzach-St.Veit Bahnhof <=> Salzburg Hbf

Due to construction work, some trains will be running at different times between Bischofshofen Bahnhof and Villach Hbf and between Schwarzach-St.Veit Bahnhof and Salzburg Hbf from 21/05/2024 (08:00am) through 05/06/2024 (04:30am). Connections cannot be guaranteed.
I don't mind waiting for a connection, as long as there is one. What is the likelyhood that we will be stuck in Schwarzach-St.Veit without a way to get to Salzburg if I book this train?

Thank you for your help. The date I am proposing to travel on is the the 27/05/2024.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 02:58 AM

IMO the whole railway line from Zurich to Salzburg - either via Woergl - Rosenheim or via Woergl - Zell am See. - Schwarzach - isn't particularly scenic.

I suppose you booked train 163 (Transalpin, the only direct train between Zurich and Schwarzach - St. Veit. According to OeBB, this train will run according to the timetable up to Schwarzach.
The connecting train from Schwarzach to Salzburg (IC 793) may be late, however.
The only thing you have to do is to book nothing for Schwarzach - Salzburg, as you don't know yet wether IC 793 or S Bahn 3 (dp 15.24) will run first. Seat reservation is not compulsory in Austria (neither in Switzerland) and is just not possible for S Bahn trains. Tickets can be bought until the train's departure..

Last edited by neckervd; Jan 29th, 2024 at 03:01 AM.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Yup! Those are the trians I booked. I tried to attach a url to my file but it won't let me without 10 posts, so appreciate you taking the time to look it up.

If I don't book the last leg of the journey is there a threat that the cost on the day will be dramatically higher?

Re the scenery, I am going off reccomendation from the Man in Seat 61 website for the Arlberg Railway - but having never been to Europe I'm obviously relying on second hand information.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 10:33 AM

Schwarzach - Salzburg OW costs 13 EUR/pax whenever you book/buy it. You can buy it in the web or at the ticket machine at Schwarzach - St. Veit, even a few minutes prior to the departure of your train.
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mate!