Tourist Tax For Quintana Roo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2024, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might anyone be able to provide the most recent updates on the tourist tax for international visitors arriving (or departing?) by air into Cancun airport? I have read conflicting reports about the recent enforcement or planned penalties upon future returns that may be imposed on foreign visitors. I understand that most if not all airlines are not including this tax in the ticket price with the result that most visitors are unaware of the need to pay this tax at some point either prior to travelling into Quintana Roo or prior to leaving the airport as they leave the state. Any information regarding this tax would be appreciated.
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 04:12 PM

It's only about 20 dollars, are you seriously trying to get away with not paying it ? I thought you couldn't get out of the airport without paying it upon departure, not arrival. Just go to their website and pay it online at visitax.gob.mx
Old Jan 13th, 2024, 09:42 PM

I flew out of Cozumel a few months ago. I tried to pay the tax online. The website wasn't working. I asked around at the airport if there were a way to pay it there. I was told no. Nobody asked to see any evidence that I had paid. I wanted to do the right thing, but I couldn't. I left without paying. I don't live in fear that I'll be penalized the next time I go to Quintana Roo. Maybe next time the system will be working.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 04:56 AM

Visitax (effective 1 April 2021) is an additional tourist tax for all foreign visitors when visiting the state of QUINTANA ROO (it is in addition to the Mexican tourist tax).

Visitax is not included in the airfare, and it can not be paid at the airport. It can be paid before or during the visit by using the following official government website...

https://www.visitax.gob.mx

The current amount is 259 pesos per foreign visitor, but it will increase on 1 February 2024. There are other websites, some official and some scams, but they all charge more than 259 pesos and charge in US dollars.

BUT... Check-in agents do not ask for proof of payment, and there is no enforcement of payment. Many visitors do not pay, and there have been no repercussions for not paying. In a recent media report, a tax department official stated that at least 40% of visitors do not pay the tax. I've heard fines might be coming, but so far no visitors have been fined.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies to my queries. While in no way might I be attempting to evade this tourist tax, I was just looking for some more recent clarification about exactly how it was being administered. I had a conversation with my airline agent regarding this issue, and he was totally unaware of the tax despite the fact that the airline offers many flights into Quintana Roo airports from Canada. I was, however, with some searching, able to locate a note on the airline's website speaking about the fact that this tax was not being collected as part of the ticket price, unlike any federal taxes that are collected by the airline on behalf of the Mexican federal government.
I plan to visit the Travel Kare website, based in Canada, (which is the official administrator of this Visitax) prior to our travels to Cancun in order to prepay the tourist tax for Quintana Roo.
In my humble opinion, it would appear that there has not been a coordinated attempt by either the state, the airlines or the travel agencies to inform the travelling public about the new tax. Since it would appear that it cannot be buried in the cost of the airline ticket since it is not a federal tax, there might be a reluctance to be more forward about the new tax for fear that it may put off some visitors, especially those who may travel to and from Quintana Roo frequently.
Old Jan 14th, 2024, 02:44 PM

The tax was introduced in April 2021. The tourist industry collectively said, "Really? We're trying to dig ourselves out of the COVID pandemic and trying to lure back visitors and you want to implement a new tax now?"
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 09:48 AM

I paid on the mx site

I paid on the official mx site, not through third party, a couple of weeks ago. It went smoothly except the site didn't like that my credit card security code is 000, so I used a different credit card. Saved electron receipt on phone.