Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First trip to Spain in April 2024 -- what itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2024, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
We're two newbies to Spain, hoping we can get some good itinerary advice.
- My wife is 71, I'm 67. Looking for a relaxed, non-group trip where we're not on an action packed itinerary constantly dragging suitcases around. We don't have to see it all in one trip.
- We have roughly two weeks we can spend in Spain, leaving California (Los Angeles or San Diego) to/from Spain sometime between April 1 2024 and back home by May 8th.
- We like things like sightseeing, live music, relaxing with a drink, and staying in very good, quiet, clean hotels (or very good Airbnb). Not all that interested in tourist traps, huge crowds of tourists, art museums, religion, wineries, or super fancy food.
- My wife is a native Spanish speaker (she's from Peru).
- Can walk up to about 3-4 miles total per day.

Thank you all!
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 04:35 PM

I love Andalusia, and April is a perfect time to visit Andalucia weather wise. Temps are much too hot during the summer months.

The 3 major cities in Andalusia are Seville, Granada and Cordoba with lots of important historical sites. Seville has the Real Alcazar (and much more); Granada has the amazing Moorish Alhambra, and Cordoba has the Mezquita, a cathedral within a mosque. They are all lovely cities for wandering and exploring. Seville has beautiful architecture, lovely plazas, fountains, and beautiful parks. And Seville is a great place for watching Flamenco. Cordoba’s Juderia is picturesque with its narrow lanes, white washed buildings, patios and flower pots. Granada has the interesting Albaysin district.

I like Madrid but it might not be for you. Madrid is interesting but I think its main attractions are its outstanding art museums.

You might like Barcelona with its Gaudi architecture and interesting neighborhoods. Then you could drive to Girona, a medieval city with a river, and also drive along the Costa Brava and stay at some lovely villages on the coast, such as Tossa de Mar or Cadeques.

I strongly recommend buying some good guidebooks, such as Lonely Planet, Michelin Green Guide, and Rough Guides, and Fodors, to help you plan.
Old Jan 6th, 2024, 06:12 PM

April starts with Easter. Seville tends to be big on things like that. End of the month they have a festival. Both are likely going to mean a jam packed city.

I agree the big thing in Madrid are the museums. The palace might be of interest. If you go on a Wednesday see if you can visit during the parade.

The problem is when you say

Not all that interested in tourist traps, huge crowds of tourists, art museums, religion
How strict are you? Barcelona has some tourist traps. The Sagrada Familia is a church. You could argue it's an artwork. Its a large city and will be crowded. April is cool enough you'll need a jacket to sit out and have a drink.

Maybe think about Valencia?
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 04:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Seville in May ( nine years ago), so double that.

Dpn't forget the fridge magnet.

Old Jan 7th, 2024, 06:33 AM

I did think about Easter celebrations when I suggested Andalucia; however, this year Easter is March 31 so the OP would miss the Easter crowds if they go after March 31. Their trip is for 2 weeks so they could possibly miss the spring festival at the end of April, too.

Unfortunately, today so many worthwhile places to visit are crowded.

Extremadura could be another interesting region to visit in April, too. Much too hot during the summer months. But I haven’t been there so can’t really recommend based on firsthand experience.

Another area to check out is San Sebastián/Bilbao but it might not have the best weather in April - cool and rainy.

I think the OP really needs to get some good guidebooks and read some travel blogs.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 06:46 AM

I also think Andalucia, particularly Seville, would be a great place to visit. Like KarenWoo, I was going to mention that Easter is on March 31 so Easter activities won’t affect a visit to Seville. Like cdnyul, I was there in May 2015, and while the main sites (the Alcazar) had a bit of a line, it was by no means too crowded to enjoy. What I do remember about that visit was how hot it was. I’m not sure how unusual that month but I’d imagine April would be a good time to visit.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 08:59 AM

April is a much better time to visit Sevilla when Holy Week falls in March as it will this year. So aim to be in Sevilla after Easter Sunday, March 31 and the start of the Feria de Abril, which will begin April 14.

BTW, there is no longer a "low season" in Sevilla. I was there this past February and it was very crowded at all hours of the day around the Cathedral-Alcázar and on Mateos Gago, restaurant row and all of the Barrio de Santa Cruz, which now has more tourist beds than residents.

However, once outside this tourist zone, you can have plenty of space. Just make sure you venture beyond the Barrio de Santa Cruz (where the above photos were taken) to discover Seville's delightful other corners:
take a walk in María Luisa park, especially on Sundays. where a crafts market is held, visit the exquisitely tiled Plaza de España, walk over the Puente Isabel II to Triana to visit the delightful indoor market, take in the gardens and tiles of the Casa de Pilatos, have tapas in the El Arenal quarter, visit the wonderful Palacio de las Dueñas, the former home of the colorful Duchess of Alba, the extravagantly Baroque church of El Salvador (even if you're not religious, the Baroque architecture is stunning), have pastries at the Confitería La Campana on Calle Sierpes, attend a flamenco performance at Casa de la Memoria on Calle Cuna and afterwards dinner at Baco Cuna 2 next door.

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 7th, 2024 at 09:57 AM.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 10:01 AM

For an evening with a light show and views, go up to the top of Las Setas on the Plaza de la Encarnación, the largest wooden structure in the world, for a walk around the top and a sunset drink.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

We're not that strict on what I mentioned at start of thread "Not all that interested in tourist traps, huge crowds of tourists, art museums, religion" We do like visiting cathedrals for the architecture.

Feria de Abril runs April 14 - 20 in 2024, so looks like for our April trip we should visit Sevilla before or after that period. To avoid big crowds there, is better not to get hotel in Barrio de Santa Cruz?

It's pretty overwhelming reading so many internet sites to decide what cities to visit for two weeks. I'll get some guide books soon.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 02:21 PM

Maribel mentions some worthwhile places to visit in Seville. We loved the Casa di Pilatos, a hidden gem, not crowded at all. Plaza de Espagna is stunning with its beautiful tiles, pedestrianized bridges, and fountain.

Maria Luisa park was not crowded when we were there, and stopped for drinks, a cool oasis amongst bustling Seville. And the Triana neighborhood is very interesting to explore along with its Mercado, and the Barranco Mercado across the river.

Cordoba, in addition to the magnificent Mezquita, has the Juderia, Roman Bridge, Palacio de Viana with its 12 patios (another hidden gem), the Alcazar gardens, and Victoria Mercado.

We stayed in Barrio Santa Cruz in Seville which is very crowded but we liked its proximity to all the sites we were interested in seeing. Maribel can give you suggestions of other neighborhoods to stay in.

Traveler Nick mentions Valencia, which I’m sure is wonderful, so another place to check out

Old Jan 7th, 2024, 05:21 PM

You mentioned an interest in cathedrals. One of my all time favorite cathedrals is the Cathedral of Toledo. If Madrid and museums are not your thing, but you do go through Madrid, spend a night in Toledo. It is magical. It is mysterious. The Cathedral is mind blowing. Look at some pictures.
transparente of toledo cathedral spain. The transparente is an opening in the roof with sculpted angels that seem to be hanging, suspended off the rim. That one thing is worth the trip and takes your breath away. At night, the city is so quiet, you can hear your footsteps. There is a little train you can take through the surrounding hills/mountains for views of the city.
Spring is a perfect time for the gardens of the Alhambra. Allow plenty of time for that.
Old Jan 7th, 2024, 07:31 PM

First off, how will you be getting around? Driving? Train? Bus?
If you're not driving, I can totally recommend the bus system, both for the ease of movement, but also for economic reasons and comfort. And don't equate their bus system with our Greyhound; apples and oranges. Large, luxury coaches, reclining seats, convenient schedules, and CLEAN.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 01:12 AM

Sassafrass says ¨You mentioned an interest in cathedrals. One of my all time favorite cathedrals is the Cathedral of Toledo. If Madrid and museums are not your thing, but you do go through Madrid, spend a night in Toledo. It is magical. It is mysterious. The Cathedral is mind blowing. Look at some pictures.¨

Huge ditto!

To avoid the tourist tsunami that now exists in certain areas of the Barrio de Santa Cruz and the proliferation of tourist trinket shops there (see photo above), we now enjoy staying in a more 'locally transited neighborhood", such as the area around the Plaza de la Encarnación where you´ll find the Las Setas structure or in the El Arenal quarter, closer to the Guadalquivir River. There are many rentals managed by Genteel Homes,, if you´re interested in a legal short term rental property, or there are small boutique hotels in both neighborhoods.

During many, many earlier visits to Sevilla we always stayed in the Barrio de Santa Cruz for the "romance factor" at night, but it's simply become a very, very busy, bustling area, which we now personally prefer to avoid due to the crowds, although many here have stayed in this quarter and have enjoyed their stay. There is a small boutique hotel here that we do like, the Legado Alcázar, which is tucked away on a quiet square, a very peaceful location, adjacent to the Alcázar gardens.

The northeast corner of this barrio is still quiet, where you'll find the Casa de Pilatos and some hotels such as the Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza and the Cool Rooms Palacio Villapanés (both Tablet hotels). It's a further walk, however, from the Cathedral-Alcázar axis, about a 15-minute walk.

As I mentioned above, the best time for you to be in Sevilla during your early spring trip would be after Easter Sunday and before April 14, the beginning of Feria, when lodging prices go down.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by KarenWoo
I love Andalusia, and April is a perfect time to visit Andalucia weather wise. Temps are much too hot during the summer months.

The 3 major cities in Andalusia are Seville, Granada and Cordoba with lots of important historical sites. Seville has the Real Alcazar (and much more); Granada has the amazing Moorish Alhambra, and Cordoba has the Mezquita, a cathedral within a mosque. They are all lovely cities for wandering and exploring. Seville has beautiful architecture, lovely plazas, fountains, and beautiful parks. And Seville is a great place for watching Flamenco. Cordoba’s Juderia is picturesque with its narrow lanes, white washed buildings, patios and flower pots. Granada has the interesting Albaysin district.

I like Madrid but it might not be for you. Madrid is interesting but I think its main attractions are its outstanding art museums.

You might like Barcelona with its Gaudi architecture and interesting neighborhoods. Then you could drive to Girona, a medieval city with a river, and also drive along the Costa Brava and stay at some lovely villages on the coast, such as Tossa de Mar or Cadeques.

I strongly recommend buying some good guidebooks, such as Lonely Planet, Michelin Green Guide, and Rough Guides, and Fodors, to help you plan.
Seville and Granada are amazing.
I'd highly recommend both of these.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 05:10 AM

Spain is a big country, the home of the Spanish Inquisition, it is impossible to swing a dead cat without hitting a building named after some martyr cooked al-dente by the natives or dedicate to Virgins of
Eternal Regret and Perpetual Sorrow.
Towns and cities with interesting cathedrals that we have visited:

Zaragoza
Siguenza
Salamanca
Teruel
Guadalupe

All of the above were enjoyed without being pestered by tour guides, seeing poor horses worked half to death, and sharing a line up with Bob from Ohio.

My Spain planning tools for the past 11 years.

Old Jan 8th, 2024, 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=cdnyul;17524169]Spain is a big country, the home of the Spanish Inquisition, it is impossible to swing a dead cat without hitting a building named after some martyr cooked al-dente by the natives or dedicate to Virgins of
Eternal Regret and Perpetual Sorrow.
Towns and cities with interesting cathedrals that we have visited:

Zaragoza
Siguenza
Salamanca
Teruel
Guadalupe……..”
"……

imo, Salamanca is one of the loveliest places in the country.

Last edited by danon; Jan 8th, 2024 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 09:29 AM

What danon said
I studied in Salamanca as a young girl and recently returned for 4 nights to revisit old haunts, and it´s a wonderful place to spend a couple of days for anyone traveling to Castilla-León. An evening visit to the Plaza Mayor is magical. The entire inner core of the city was built with gorgeous warm, blond sandstone that glows at nigh, thus it's often called the "Golden City".

Last edited by Maribel; Jan 8th, 2024 at 09:36 AM.
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback! I found a two week itinerary I think I like here in this detail blog "2 Weeks in Spain: How to Plan an Amazing Spain Itinerary" on wheatlesswanderlust.com (Fodors won't let me post link until I've done 10 posts)
  • Day 1: Arrive in Barcelona (and sleep)
  • Day 2: Barcelona
  • Day 3: Girona Day Trip
  • Day 4: Barcelona
  • Day 5: Barcelona & Late Train to Madrid
  • Day 6: Madrid
  • Day 7: Madrid
  • Day 8: Toledo Day Trip
  • Day 9: Granada
  • Day 10: Granada
  • Day 11: Seville
  • Day 12: Seville
  • Day 13: Córdoba Day Trip
  • Day 14: Seville & Fly home
What do you think of this -- ok or to rushed? We can extend a few days past 14 days if needed.

From this thread and all my other reading since time I started this thread, I think best to use trains, cabs, buses, and maybe private car (or very small group) tours. Maybe in Andalucía might be good to have car to explore smaller places and backroads on day trips? Or is a car too much hassle to have a car when get back into Andalucía towns we are staying at?
Old Jan 8th, 2024, 05:55 PM

This itinerary sounds like it came straight out of Rick Steves, which isn't a bad thing, and perfectly doable for a first time visit to Spain. You will get a good overview of Spain's most popular places and can travel between them by train.

As far as renting a car, I can't see that you have a lot of time to do any day trips to small villages. And all those places you are staying are a huge pain to try to navigate, and also to find space to park a car.

You may want to look for rooms as soon as possible, because as I have found, April is high season in Andalucia, even after Holy Week is over, and prices were high when I booked in October, and even higher now.

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 12:55 AM

"We spent the past two years traveling the world, which included 18 national parks here in the United States, and several months exploring in Europe."

"We plan (and pay for) all of our own travels, and we use our first hand knowledge to write detailed travel guides to the places we love to help
YOU plan an amazing trip."

Who could be more qualified.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -