Half day in Everglades with small kids

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2023, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll have half day in Everglades with kids (5, 7). We'll be based in Fort Lauderdale. I have some questions:

1. Is the 2-hour tram in Shark Valley interesting for kids this age? It seems long and from youtube videos there is not much change in scenery during the ride.
2. Are air boats good (and safe) for kids this age? Are air boat tours in Shark Valley better than those in Everglades Holiday Park?
3. What other short activity is there in Shark Valley / Everglades for kids this age (they are not super active so only short walk)?

Thanks!
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 11:56 AM

The Anhinga Trail might work for you. It’s short, lots of birds, an avian Garden of Eden. You can check TripAdvisor for reviews.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 12:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bon_voyage
The Anhinga Trail might work for you. It’s short, lots of birds, an avian Garden of Eden. You can check TripAdvisor for reviews.

Sure -- IF that was all they planned for that day. But per the other thread, they would be driving from somewhere in Ft Lauderdale to the Royal Palm Visitor Center/Anhinga Trail, walk the trail and explore some other bits, maybe an air boat ride, then drive to Disney World. Depending on how long they spend Everglades-focused that would easily be a 9 or 10+ hour day.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 01:45 PM

Thanks, Janis. I didn’t think the OP’s plans were totally fixed. Our brief time on the Anhinga Trail turned out to be one of those indelible travel memories. You’re up close and personal with the birds and alligators, the five and seven year old would be likely to remember the experience.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 01:46 PM

Also wanted to mention I was there in March.
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by bon_voyage
Thanks, Janis. I didn’t think the OP’s plans were totally fixed. Our brief time on the Anhinga Trail turned out to be one of those indelible travel memories. You’re up close and personal with the birds and alligators, the five and seven year old would be likely to remember the experience.

I'm not sure their plans are fixed either -- but when I posted that if they were actually thinking of traveling from Ft Lauderdale to Everglades Nat'l Park, spending half a day exploring there, and then drive to DW it would be unreasonable -- the OP asked "why?"

I think we do need clarification -- are they aiming to do all this in one day or is this a multi-day trip??
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the information, our plans are not 100% fixed but ideally we start the day in Fort Lauderdile, see as much as we can from the Everglades for 5yo, 7yo, and then end the day in DW (possibly late at evening).
Old Dec 31st, 2023, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by traveler_t
Thanks everyone for the information, our plans are not 100% fixed but ideally we start the day in Fort Lauderdile, see as much as we can from the Everglades for 5yo, 7yo, and then end the day in DW (possibly late at evening).

Bad idea IMO the drive alone will be more than 6 hours. At least those poor kids would be able to sleep most of the day.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Bad idea IMO the drive alone will be more than 6 hours. At least those poor kids would be able to sleep most of the day.
I was thinking to do the Ft Lauderdale --> Orlando part via Brightline train which might be a nice experience for the kids. but yeah still 6 hours on the road.