Southern Italy Itinerary for a Month in Early Spring

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a very successful trip to Portugal last April I want to plan a similar trip to southern Italy starting around the second week of April in 2024. No car, slow travel and no stress. My husband and I are active retirees, love walking everywhere, some hiking and stopping in cafes or whatever looks interesting. We are casual when it comes to dining out or having a drink. Love rooftop bars! Do like getting off the beaten path. Like some structure to the trip planning but desire room for spontaneous ideas once there. Looking at Amalfi Coast first (possibly base out of Minori), Ischia, Sicily and Sardinia - about a week in each location. Sicily and Sardinia might be best visited staying in two different places on each island. Fodorites always have excellent travel advice so I'm eager to hear your suggestions. In Portugal we stayed in nice hotels but not over the top $$$$ or tourist resorts. Open to an apartment short term rental with great views where it makes sense. Thank you!
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 04:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before you get fully invested in Sardinia on this trip, figure out how you're going to get there, from what airport on what day, etc. I don't think there is frequent and/or non-stop service from many airports. Ciampino might be the best bet. There is a ferry between Palmero and Cagliari, but I think it operates only one day a week... and it takes about 12 hours.

As you plan, note there are two national holidays during your timeframe: Liberation Day on April 25th, and International Workers Day on May 1st. And a local holiday: Sardinia Day on April 28th; a fun day but lots of things are closed.

FWIW, I've never used public transportation on either Sicily or Sardinia, but I'd want a car on both islands to maximize the sightseeing. A week on Sicily isn't much time. Do some research on bus services on both islands to see what and how much you would be able to see/do. In most parts of Italy, service frequency and routes are geared more to workers/students and less to tourists.

FWIW#2, I love the hiking on Sardinia.
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 02:18 AM

There are about 7 daily flights from Rome to Sardinia and at least 2 daily ferries from Civitavecchia (Rome) to Sardinia.
The ferries from Sardinia to Naples and to Palermo run once weekly.
Direct flights from Naples to Sardinia are twice weekly.

Sicily is full of ancient Greek stuff (Temples, theatres, etc.).
Sardinia has much less and much smaller archeological sites (namely Barumini, Isili, Tharros and Pula).

On both Islands, the Western and the Northern coast may get more rain than the Eastern coast.

Public tansport on both Isalnds is rather good.
Consult the ARST timetable) for Sardinia (plus Trenitalia for Olbia/Porto Torres - Sassari - Cagliari and Carbonia).
For Sicily, you may consult Rome2Rio in order to find out which (of the many) bus companies operates in the area you are inerested in.
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to check airlines (and airports they use) and ferries and consider your preferences. I would only take flights to/from Sardinia that involve no connections, and I don't like overnight ferries. You might want to start with Sicily and end with Sardinia. We're west coast U.S. and have flown on separate trips into Palermo (Swiss via Zurich) and out of Cagliari (Lufthansa via Frankfurt).
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 01:42 AM

The OP wants to visit Amalfi first.
The only reasonable solution would then be to take one of the 7 daily flights from Rome to either Olbia or Alghero or Cagliari,
unless he can get a Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Saturday easyjet flight from Naples to Olbia.
All these flights are direct, of course..
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 06:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
do consider Puglia, the heel, south of Taranto is a special place
Old Dec 15th, 2023, 10:49 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
For Sicily, allow two weeks at a minimum.
Old Dec 20th, 2023, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your great advice. Looks like we will pick Sicily for two weeks and skip Sardinia. That's after around 7 - 10 nights in Minori and around a week in Iscia (will probably tweet those nights). Over the years we have traveled in most of the Italian regions with the exception of this area and the Dolomites. In 2019 we did the Lakes (Como, Maggiore and Orta) and then flew down to Puglia which was a great combo trip. Loved Matera! Like you Jean, we're coming from the Western US (Idaho). Any other travel tips (tours, lodging, drivers) please send them my way!
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 10:55 AM

Also do consider the southern tip of Calabria - Scilla and Tropea are charming.
Old Jan 1st, 2024, 11:54 AM

There are lots of hotels with great terraces on the AC, but If you happen to go to Sorrento and the weather is warm enough to sit outside, The Foreigner’s Club in Sorrento has an amazing terrace overlooking the bay, so almost like a roof top bar, but IMHO, much better. They usually have a band. Food is pretty good. We have ended many days there, sitting late, eating, listening to live music and looking at boats and lights glittering on the water.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jan 1st, 2024 at 12:33 PM.