Help Required to chalk out Route and itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 12:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help Required to chalk out Route and itinerary

Dear Friends,

Greetings from Goa...!!!

I had written a similar post last week seeking help on an itinerary to Prague, Innsbruck and Switzerland. However after receiving various suggestions, we realize it may difficult for us especially finding connecting flights etc. Hence there is a change in plan and Here i am seeking help again from esteemed fellow group members

My requirements and places are little different than the normal itineraries that one can find on the internet. We are a couple with a 3 year old daughter and its our wedding anniversary and we want to do a holiday as below in end of Jan 24 end and beginning of Feb.

Day 1 - Arrive in Prague in morning and we can leave next day afternoon as we have been couple of times in Prague. However we wish to visit the Infant Jesus church and hence the visit to Prague is only for a day and not more.

Post that we have 8 days with us and some of the thoughts are to do

Hallstat - 2 days (Shoud we, should we not...confused)
Innsbruck - 3 days...We can also stay in Innsbruck for 4 days and do day trips to Hallstat and Leicheinstein from there.
Then the last of 3 days, either visit Regensburg and do few day trips from there

Then fly out from Munich

We love small towns, culture, heritage, beautiful sights, Taste Local food etc.

We have already been to Vienna and Salzburg earlier. In Switzerland, we have been to Lucerne, Interlaken, Bern earlier

Will be really thankful for some nice suggestions...we are aware it will be cold...but we would like this trip to be a memorable one...It will be our daughters first experience of Snow

Thanks
Nitish
Old Dec 6th, 2023, 03:17 AM
J62

You'd be better off just continuing the discussion on your other post.....or ask the moderators to merge the threads...

I still don't understand your desire to visit places so far apart - Prague on one end and Innsbruck on the other.

I've spent a lot of time in Innsbruck and in my opinion it's neither unique nor that special. Yes, the steep mountains surrounding it are beautiful, but it's a rather meh medium sized city. Cute small historic old center, but not really unique or must-visit compared to many other places all across the Alps. Ditto for Hallstadt. I would not travel hours out of my way just to say I went there. Ditto for Leicheinstein. It sounds like you want to check off destinations you've been to, What might help us better to help you is to step back, close your eyes, and tell us the 3 or 4 features of a trip that you would find most enjoyable. There are many marvelous places to visit that we may be able to suggest without you having to schlep all across endless kilometers, in the middle of winter,with a 3 year old child.

For example, if Prague is a must-visit city for a day, that's ok. From there I'd consider taking a quick 2hr train ride north into Germany/Saxony area to Dresden. There are some beautiful natural areas near the border between Prague and Dresden that are an easy half to 1 day trip out of Dresden.

From Dresden area you could visit some smaller towns / cities in the area, eg Leipzig, and maybe head to Berlin. Or from Dresden you could get to Bavaria quite easily on train if you want to.

Old Dec 6th, 2023, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you mean "Liechtenstein" then don't waste your time going there, I have family in the region and apart from a small bus terminal and the offices of all the world's financial consultants, there is nothing there.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 12:41 AM
Original Poster

Hello J62,

After researching the same and taking cues from all of you, i realized and agree that these were not practical. However, we wish to visit Europe and in that Prague is a must do for a day. Post that we are OK to travel anywhere and spend 7-8 days without too much of Travel. We love small towns, culture, heritage, beautiful sights, Taste Local food etc.
If you can kindly help me with some suggestions....Post Prague, we dont mind flying to our destination and then fly back to India....We would not like to change more than two hotels (Apart from Prague ofcourse) and prefer to do day trips from a central location. Will be thankful if you can suggest some options...Bavarian Region in Germany, France, etc...

Thanks,
Nitish
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 02:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at Dresden, Magdeburg and Berlin with half day stops along the way in say the Saxon Alps

or

Bratislava and Vienna with a half day in Brno

train all the way
seat61.com explains the details

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/2...fied-nazi-rule might interest you

Last edited by bilboburgler; Dec 7th, 2023 at 02:57 AM.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 06:11 AM

As I can see, there are tons of 1 0r 2 stop flights from GOI to MUC, ZRH, or Milan and back from there a your dates.
May be it could be better to chose your flights first - according to your preferences airline, fares, joourney time, number of changes, etc.) - and to build your European itinerary between the most conveniant airports.
Old Dec 7th, 2023, 06:26 AM
J62

Looks like Emirates or Qatar airlines flies to many airports in the region - Berlin, Prague, Vienna, and others...
I didn't look at exact dates, but all of those could be one-stop from Goa.

Having traveled all across that part of Europe many times, including trips with small children I can assure you that you will find many small towns, culture, heritage, beautiful sights, local food etc. no matter where you are.

I agree with the post above - pick your anchor points first - (without making them spread too far apart is my advice) with flights that make sense, and this group of fellow travelers here on fodors can help you create an itinerary around those.

Old Dec 8th, 2023, 05:10 AM

I would recommend Bregenz and Lake Konstanz if you get the chance. Liechtenstein was a bit of (expensive) nothing for me personally, I just visited to mark it off on the WorldBagger app.
Otherwise you cannot really go wrong with most small villages in that part of the world
Old Dec 8th, 2023, 10:23 PM
Original Poster

Dear Friends from this forum,

At the outset, let me thank all of you for your kind suggestions and taking out time and write your thoughts and suggesting an itinerary.
Finally after much thought, we zeroed down on doing the French Riviera (Nice, Marseilles etc) . Post our day visit to Prague, we will fly to france and then do this trip.

I once again thank you all for your time. I will definately do the above trip...maybe next year and then your ideas will definately help me plan better.

Thanks again...

Cheets from Goa