Search

Elephants Chiang Mai short visit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 08:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Elephants Chiang Mai short visit

Hi,
im interested in finding a place around Chiang Mai to be with elephants without having to book a full or half day tour. Maybe around Mae Rim area?
My Thai family is coming to visit Chiang Mai for the first time. We have transport and would like to find a place we can go see elephants without having to book a “tour” that includes transport, lunch, etc..
thank you!
Old Nov 22nd, 2023, 08:45 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved from Tech Support to the Asia Forum and tagged for Thailand.
Old Nov 23rd, 2023, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please read this thread before planning any interaction with elephants in Thailand:

Thai Elephants
Old Nov 28th, 2023, 11:17 PM

Thais do not have a great track record of treating animals humanely. This is especially true of elephants where they are used as a means of attracting a source of income form gullible or uncaring tourists. They are treated very badly in many cases. Some think it is perfectly fine to ride elephants. It is not. It causes them untold harm. Even if you dont ride an elephant, just visiting these places perpetuates the elephant's misery.

There are a small number of ethical conservation projects around that do treat elephants well, but as far as I am aware, none around the Mae Rim area. Plenty to do and see around CM that doesn't involve animal cruelty.

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 06:39 PM

I agree with the two posts above. Lots of things to do that don't involve supporting these centers
Old Feb 15th, 2024, 11:54 AM

Treatment of Elephants

Surely in this day and age there cannot be thinking people who intentionally use animals for some cheap thrill. Please do not take your family to these places.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 03:11 PM

Plz explain to me how a 85 kg person can cause 'untold harm' to a 7000 kg elephant by merely sitting on top of the animal? And why is no one hollering about the millions of Chinese peasants who ride on miserable tiny donkeys, every day?

Anyway, lots of UTube vids of Thai families raising elephants, so take a look there.
Old Feb 16th, 2024, 09:58 PM

"Plz explain to me how a 85 kg person can cause 'untold harm' to a 7000 kg elephant by merely sitting on top of the animal?"

I suggest you use google to find out.

"why is no one hollering about the millions of Chinese peasants who ride on miserable tiny donkeys, every day?"

No idea. This thread is about Thailand and elephants not China and donkeys?

"lots of UTube vids of Thai families raising elephants, so take a look there." - and your point is?